[MOD] Interesting Terrains [WIP]

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
monobelisk

Re: [MOD] Interesting Terrains [WIP]

Post by monobelisk »

haloterm wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:42 pm Thanks for further investigation!

Tested both extra files first, no difference to previous official version. What I noticed is that the terrain generated in both test runs was slightly different. One time, I had some water beneath my feet, the other time I didn't. Is the terrain supposed to be different in each playthrough?

And here's the paramlogging player.log:

Player.zip
I finally had the eureka moment I was looking for! :D

I noticed that your game uses German localization, and that the sums, while being different after import as they should, have completely different values from mine. The cause of that is the fact that when your game imports the .ini data (the process is basically a conversion from text to numbers), it looks for "," as the decimal separator where the .ini uses "." - so, for instance, the number 0.0045 would be imported as 45.

I've built a new version (for DFUnity 0.10.26) which employs culture invariance when dealing with the .ini file. Everything should work now. If it does, I'll do a proper update on Nexus :)

(also, the terrain is supposed to look exactly the same on all playthroughs)
Attachments
InterestingTerrains_0.4.1rc_win.zip
(595.85 KiB) Downloaded 90 times

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

this finally solved also my issues and I am able to test now with distant terrain compability issues ;)
thank you so much!

update: ok so tested a bit, seems it works in principle with distant terrain mod setting "enable improved terrain" unchecked, even terrain transition option works fine (can be seen as texture/height blend from near to distant terrain), the thing we need to fix is we have to find a mechanism for both mods to agree on a small height map (the 1000x500 heighmap) that both mods respect when working together, right now it looks like this (so the original height map (which is used when "enable improved terrain" option is unchecked) seems to be higher (but flat) than the heights generated in your mod) - btw i checked if the height difference is always the same, but no, it depends on the location - so just shifting distant terrain down by a constant amount won't be enough:

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

monobelisk wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:14 pm I'll admit that I'm baffled by this. On my end I'm able to run it consistently at 60fps without lags, with or without the mod enabled. Just to try something, could you try running one of the 0.10.26 versions I've attached and see if the lag is still there?
Yes I'll give it a go... it's by no means unplayable by the way, it's just a bit of a bump...I'll check it out later today.. :D

P.s. yeah my Forum skills are kind of whacked :P
Last edited by TheLacus on Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
Check out my YouTube Channel!

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

monobelisk wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:51 am I've built a new version (for DFUnity 0.10.26) which employs culture invariance when dealing with the .ini file. Everything should work now. If it does, I'll do a proper update on Nexus :)
Thanks -- that was it! The new version is working just fine :)

I played a bit with it, visited some places for comparison. In general, I like it; some areas which are a bit harsh with Distant Terrain are smoother here and look more natural. It's also better than Mountains & Hills.

However, I really miss the distant terrain of, well, Distant Terrain -- having far-away islands or mountain ranges on the horizon (see my screenshot post in the Basic Roads maps for what I mean). I hope that one day Distant Terrain and your mod can be combined, to have the best of both worlds. Oh, and of course, Basic Roads, too.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Actually I think it's not this one after all..
I took this out and it's still doing it..
Sorry man !!
Check out my YouTube Channel!

imsobadatnicknames

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

I found a new problem with coastlines (Idk if you remember but all the way back when this mod first came out in the nexus I was the one who reported the problem with a new massive body of water in Sentinel that wasn't there before).

The coastline north of Westhead Moor seems to climb the hill all the way to the north edge of the city when this mod is activated.

To be fair, idk if this issue with coastlines has been solved in later versions as I'm still using the 10.24 version, but I still felt like it was worth reporting.
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

monobelisk

Post by monobelisk »

haloterm wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:10 pm Thanks -- that was it! The new version is working just fine :)

I played a bit with it, visited some places for comparison. In general, I like it; some areas which are a bit harsh with Distant Terrain are smoother here and look more natural. It's also better than Mountains & Hills.
That's wonderful news! :D
I've released a patched version on Nexus, but it's the exact same version that you're currently running.

Thanks again for your assistance, and for pointing out the issue - if we hadn't caught this bug, the mod would've been unplayable for a lot of people!
haloterm wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:10 pm However, I really miss the distant terrain of, well, Distant Terrain -- having far-away islands or mountain ranges on the horizon (see my screenshot post in the Basic Roads maps for what I mean). I hope that one day Distant Terrain and your mod can be combined, to have the best of both worlds. Oh, and of course, Basic Roads, too.
Yeah, the distant terrain feature is especially important for this mod - we're working on making it compatible. Either it'll be compatible, or I'll find a way to implement a custom alternative specifically for this mod :)

And basic roads compatibility is definitely on the drawing board as well!

monobelisk

Post by monobelisk »

Midknightprince wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:53 pm Actually I think it's not this one after all..
I took this out and it's still doing it..
Sorry man !!
Haha, no problem at all - it's an honest mistake :D

I'm just happy it's not caused by Interesting Terrains, as I would've been completely unable to fix it :lol:

monobelisk

Post by monobelisk »

Nystul wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:00 am this finally solved also my issues and I am able to test now with distant terrain compability issues ;)
thank you so much!
I didn't realize you were having these issues as well. Good thing we caught that bug! :D
Nystul wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:00 am ...
the thing we need to fix is we have to find a mechanism for both mods to agree on a small height map (the 1000x500 heighmap) that both mods respect when working together
I agree. I think I'll stick to my previous suggestion of Interesting Terrains first making a copy of the woodsfile buffer for internal use, then overwrite the woodsfile buffer with Interesting Terrains height values - that would also ensure compatibility with other mods that use the 1000x500 heightmap for topographical information. I'll do some testing today, and share my results later :)

monobelisk

Post by monobelisk »

imsobadatnicknames wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:13 am I found a new problem with coastlines (Idk if you remember but all the way back when this mod first came out in the nexus I was the one who reported the problem with a new massive body of water in Sentinel that wasn't there before).

The coastline north of Westhead Moor seems to climb the hill all the way to the north edge of the city when this mod is activated.

To be fair, idk if this issue with coastlines has been solved in later versions as I'm still using the 10.24 version, but I still felt like it was worth reporting.
Ah, yes - unfortunately, this is a limitation of the current version - the move from 0.3 to 0.4 entailed that I had to let the the built-in location smoothing feature in DFUnity run its course after I generate the terrain, which means that I cannot use my own terrain smoothing algorithms. Due to the way my texturing algorithm works, there's no way to texture the terrain AFTER the built-in location smoothing has run, which means that locations close to the shoreline has this issue, as the part of the ocean that intersects the location is raised AFTER the water texture has been painted.

In DFUnity 0.10.26, however, it's possible to disable the built-in location smoothing, so future releases won't have this issue (and locations in the mountain will look more organic).