[MOD] Improved Interior Lighting [October 2020 - v1.0.3]

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ralzar

Re: [MOD] Improved Interior Lighting

Post by Ralzar »

Yeah, there's soemthing odd going on with this mod. Unity Editor gives an error with player torch (something abvout left hand?) which explains why the player torch is now back to the original white color.

But also, light from the campfire in my Climates&Cloaks mod is looking weird. More like a flashlight constantly pointed a bit down at the ground in my players direction? And that uses pretty much the same light code as this mod does.

Seeing as the creator of this mod has not been active since 2019, we might have to start looking into a replecement mod for this?
Would be handy to have it on Nexus anyway.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Shortbeard appeared on Discord this week and expressed an interest in updating this mod for .10.26+. I know nothing more than that.

ShortBeard

Post by ShortBeard »

Hi all,
Sorry for the lack of updates on this mod. Lots of thing have happened for me in my personal life, and things have just been busy as hell.

As Jay_H has stated, I will hopefully be looking at making some fixes for the mod sometime soon, and update it so that it runs properly on the newest version of DFU.

If someone would like to drop here a comprehensive list of any bugs, notable issues (both within the mod itself, and any compatibility issues with other mods) that would be extremely appreciated as I have been out of this scene for quite a while and might take me a little while get this back up to speed.

Thank you for supporting this mod for so long guys, it really means a lot.

joshcamas

Post by joshcamas »

Hello, glad to see you're back! I love your mod to death, one of my favorites :)

One issue I noticed is in how you grab the player's torch. It causes issues if other mods ever touch things.

Code: Select all

GameObject torchObject = GameObject.Find("PlayerAdvanced").transform.GetChild(0).GetChild(1).gameObject;
I can tell it was done this way since the torch is disabled and GetComponentInChildren by default doesn't return inactive children... but there is actually an override of that function that *does* return inactive components, just pass "true" into it!

GameObject torchObject = GameObject.Find("PlayerAdvanced").GetComponentInChildren<Light>(true).gameObject;
I'd say all in all this is a safer approach, since it doesn't rely on a constant structure :D

Also, another tip - you can use "GameManager.Instance.PlayerObject" to get the player gameobject.

ShortBeard

Post by ShortBeard »

joshcamas wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:32 am Hello, glad to see you're back! I love your mod to death, one of my favorites :)

One issue I noticed is in how you grab the player's torch. It causes issues if other mods ever touch things.

GameObject torchObject = GameObject.Find("PlayerAdvanced").transform.GetChild(0).GetChild(1).gameObject;
I can tell it was done this way since the torch is disabled and GetComponentInChildren by default doesn't return inactive children... but there is actually an override of that function that *does* return inactive components, just pass "true" into it!

GameObject torchObject = GameObject.Find("PlayerAdvanced").GetComponentInChildren<Light>(true).gameObject;
I'd say all in all this is a safer approach, since it doesn't rely on a constant structure :D

Also, another tip - you can use "GameManager.Instance.PlayerObject" to get the player gameobject.
Thanks for the kind words!

And that's a great tip about how to grab the torch, I will make a note on that for when I start working on it again :D

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

Hey good to see you're back. When both improved interior lighting and handpainted model mods are loaded together the lighting flats that haven't been replaced by a 3d model don't have any light emission at all :)

ShortBeard

Post by ShortBeard »

AlexanderSig wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:05 pm Hey good to see you're back. When both improved interior lighting and handpainted model mods are loaded together the lighting flats that haven't been replaced by a 3d model don't have any light emission at all :)
Hi, good to see you too!

Are you able to give me a save game in an area with an example of this happening so I can take a look? It would be much appreciated :)

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

ShortBeard wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:52 pm
AlexanderSig wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:05 pm Hey good to see you're back. When both improved interior lighting and handpainted model mods are loaded together the lighting flats that haven't been replaced by a 3d model don't have any light emission at all :)
Hi, good to see you too!

Are you able to give me a save game in an area with an example of this happening so I can take a look? It would be much appreciated :)
Attachments
SAVE81.zip
(179.42 KiB) Downloaded 112 times

ShortBeard

Post by ShortBeard »

AlexanderSig wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:59 pm
ShortBeard wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:52 pm
Hi, good to see you too!

Awesome, Thank you for that file. I can see the issue - my mod makes the assumption that when handpainted mod is in place, that all "light sources" will have one, and attempt to adjust them instead. As the handpainted mod doesn't add a light to this, my mod doesn't either as it's trying to adjust one it thinks is there. I will go ahead and try and fix this :)

ShortBeard

Post by ShortBeard »

Hi guys,
Letting you know that 1.0.3 is in the works as we speak to fix bugs, and compatibility issues with other mods, and shadow casting on/off for certain enemy types. Been messaging with AlexanderSig to make sure HandPainted model's mods lighting works properly with Improved Interior lighting. Hoping to push the update out within the next couple of days, and I'll put it on Nexus Mods.

I want to thank everyone for being so patient!