KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
King of Worms

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by King of Worms »

Uncanny_Valley wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:12 pm
King of Worms wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:04 pm Damn, its scary how its all connected, I made ONE change to the material... its the floor of the dungeon walk-thru. Used to be wooden, but I liked the idea of making it dirt, because it worked nicely and connected different floor materials in between the dungeon blocks nicely. And OFC its used in a inns as a random object :D There are like 10 wood surfaces to choose from, and they used this one...

Im really not sure now. I dont really want to change it back to wood :cry:

Thanks for letting me know, I will meditate (sleep) on that ;)

EDIT: Is it used in a base game, or its a object you placed? If its the 2nd option, might it be possible to use some other wooden surface, if there is any to choose from?
Spoiler!
Dung (39).jpg
Dung (17).jpg
As far as I know this object it not used in the base game. But there are plenty of objects that I added that I used to believe didn't exist and later found or got told that there are there. But when an object doesn't exist in the base game, it feels nice to basically "restore" some "cut content". ;)

There are other wooden objects that I could use instead, however, this model works very well in creating small wooden surfaces, such as a stage for entertainers to perform on inside the inns, and looks really nice. Using other wooden objects wouldn't quite give the same result. But the biggest issue is that there is some extra work involved in designing locations to make sure that they play nice with various combinations of mods, and fixing this would alleviate some extra work for me and future creators, and would be appreciated. :)
Got it, have u seen the images I posted? The part you use is a floor of the dungeon walk-thru... so even if I make it wooden, it will look dirty and rugged, just like the walls and ceiling of this walk-thru. Im extremely torn on this one.

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

I saw the images you posted and I do understand your reasoning. The orignal texture is quite dark, dirty and rugged so I would expect any replacement to be that as well.

Potentially you could replace the models of these dungeon parts to use the texture that you want while keeping the original texture as is. Would require some work of course, but could be done.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Well that would be really good solution, to change the models instead of the textures. I guess the person to ask about it is AlexanderSig, he makes the 3d models. Ill try to solve the issue somehow, I like your Mod and Id like it to work properly with mine. Another issue is Im incredibly burned out with my mod... I started it because I loved creating art for this game, and it progressed to something where its maybe 5% art and 95% of some technical aspects solving I never really wanted to deal with ;)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Ok so the VIDEOS play correctly in DFU 0.10.26 when I recreate the DFMOD in the 2019 LTS, so thats good..

fosley

Post by fosley »

Paperdoll Visual Bug

The female faces are misaligned relative to the helmets. Specific faces are really bad, but all are a ways off.
Classic Helm.png
Classic Helm.png (65.78 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
Classic Daggerfall. Note you can see her eyebrows past the helm.

(Also note the scaling issues. Classic Daggerfall rendered the paperdoll to be thinner. Not sure that's an issue your mod should tackle, or if it should be tackled in the paperdoll rendering engine. Would look better in the long run to render properly to begin with rather than scaling in the UI, but it doesn't really matter without much higher detail levels.)
Standard Inline.png
Standard Inline.png (106.8 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
The standard faces. You can barely see her eyes under the helm, which is acceptable, but not ideal.
High Res Inline.png
High Res Inline.png (131.88 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
The high res faces. Her eyes are completely hidden under the helm, and her face is offset to the left a ways.

I didn't go through every single face in the game, but as far as I can tell, the issue is as follows:
  • All female heads are slightly too high.
  • Female Breton HD heads are significantly too high, such that the eyes are covered by the helm.
  • One female Redguard HD head (index 6) is high enough the eyes are partially covered by the helm.
  • Heads are sometimes a little to the left or a little to the right. Mostly noticeable with helms that have long nose guards.
  • Male heads looked fine for all races.
Here, "HD" refers to the seemingly hand-drawn faces, as opposed to what appears to be AI-generated faces. Before tweaking faces left and right, it would make sense to tweak all the helmets, since those are off by a pixel or three relative to each other. Then go through and tweak all the faces left and right, since they're only off by a few pixels.

Originally, I found the Wood Elf faces way too high. But looking at them now (having upgraded from 0.10.24 to 0.10.26a in the process), they seem to be fine (as fine as any other heads; they're still a little too high). I've gone through all the Wood Elves by face index, and gotten this (a "tad" is a smaller error than a "bit", carefully eyeballed with the highly-calibrated pixel-detection system on my meatface):
  • 0, SD, a tad right.
  • 1, HD, a bit left.
  • 2, HD, straight.
  • 3, HD, a tad right.
  • 4, HD, a tad left.
  • 5, SD, a tad right.
  • 6, HD, straight.
  • 7, HD, straight.
  • 8, SD, straight.
  • 9, HD, a tad right.
Bretons:
  • 0, SD, straight.
  • 1, HD, a bit left (and way too high).
  • 2, SD, straight.
  • 3, SD, straight.
  • 4, SD, straight.
  • 5, SD, straight.
  • 6, SD, straight.
  • 7, SD, straight.
  • 8, SD, straight.
  • 9, HD, a tad left (and way too high).
Redguards
  • 0, HD, a tad right. (All of these are like 2 pixels. Not sure if it's enough to even bother with.)
  • 1, HD, a tad right.
  • 2, HD, a tad right.
  • 3, HD, a tad right.
  • 4, HD, a tad right.
  • 5, HD, a tad right.
  • 6, HD, too high (half her eyes hidden by helm) and a bit left.
  • 7, HD, straight.
  • 8, HD, a tad right.
  • 9, HD, a bit right.
Nords
  • 0, HD, straight.
  • 1, HD, straight.
  • 2, HD, a tad left.
  • 3, SD? (better than the above SD, but not quite HD), a bit right.
  • 4, HD, significantly right (her ear would be visible through the eyehole if you could see the ear).
  • 5, SD, straight.
  • 6, SD, a bit right.
  • 7, SD, straight.
  • 8, HD, straight.
  • 9, SD, straight.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi thanks for a detailed report. Its not about the face placement but the helm placement Id say....

Im somewhat aware that the helmets got misalingned somehow.

I spend quite some time aligning the helmets, so Its not very clear to me, what happened :X It was something in the patches of the game.

I thought only the weapons will get effed up, because the patch after the latest release of DREAM introduced the gender-specific tuning of weapons. This was a good thing and it happened because Ive found the gender specific alignment was a thing in a base Daggerfall and it was missing in DFU. So this improved the paperdoll for everyone, even the non-modded version users.

Anyway, long story short...

This will need some work. And it will be exactly the kind of work Im completely fed up with. Tweaking some numbers in a 100s of xml files. I might try copy-paste of the Male helmets XML and see what happens.

Anyone up to this task? Because I cant take it anymore. :roll: :oops:
Its all done for males. It just needs to retry the process for females.
Once you understand it, its a thing for I guess a day.
Thing is, getting to understand it and creating a workflow takes a moment.

EDIT: Checked and all the helmets have XML files already but the archive 251... this confirms my memory that I set up the helmets already for all genders and races, so this somehow seems like a game regression?
Last edited by King of Worms on Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pango

Post by pango »

King of Worms wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:50 pm Ok so the VIDEOS play correctly in DFU 0.10.26 when I recreate the DFMOD in the 2019 LTS, so thats good..
Good to hear!
That goes to show that engine upgrade can break things in subtle ways... A lot more than what meets the eye at first
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Fosley, what version of the game are you using? Was this happening in the previous versions as well for you?

Ive Checked and all the helmets have XML files already but the archive 251... this confirms my memory that I set up the helmets already for all genders and races, so this somehow seems like a game regression?

Maybe the preview versions do not read the XML files properly from the 2018 Unity builds

More importantly: can you please send me a saves with the characters having a issues, that would be the best help.
Start with those which are really bad.

Because I tested the helmets on 0.10.24 and 0.10.26 and on my saves, they look good.
I have 1 save for each female race... and the helmets fit there perfectly.
So maybe if you select different face than I selected in my test, it can cause issues - if so - provide the save pls so I can check it
Last edited by King of Worms on Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KovuCougar

Post by KovuCougar »

I'm not sure if this is a DREAM of VIO thing... I'm reporting it in both threads so both are aware, as it only seems to happen when both mods are enabled. It's probably some interaction with them with some part of the new update though.

The guards in cities glitch and sometimes render as a collage of individual animation frames. This only happens when both VIO and DREAM and enabled together on 0.10.26.

Here's a still and a video.
Guard.jpg
Guard.jpg (303.01 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
A video showing the guard walking through the streets. The video may only be available for 2 weeks: http://www.mediafire.com/file/cuv3fnc3xj1ib62

VIO thread: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1131&p=48494

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks, this one is funny. Cant do anything about it tho... at least I have no idea about it.
There are all kinds of issues of VIO + DREAM, and I dont think I can do anything about it on my side.

Have u tried switching the priority of loading of the mods?