[MOD] Sneak and Crouch Combined

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
jefetienne

[MOD] Sneak and Crouch Combined

Post by jefetienne »

Sneak and Crouch Combined
[Updated 10/19/2020, 0.10.27]

Nexus mod page

Finally
sneak-crouch-combined.jpg
sneak-crouch-combined.jpg (201.72 KiB) Viewed 2936 times

After growing tired of hearing the numerous requests to have this in the game, I decided to take this into my own hands. This mod merges sneaking and crouching together as a single action. Happy now? :P

In the vanilla mechanics, sneaking will slow down your speed. Crouching will also lower your speed and make you duck. Crouching and sneaking together can be done, and will both lower your speed, but you must press the buttons independently. This mod is essentially a shortcut that simplifies this process by allowing the 'sneak' or 'crouch' button to activate both actions - it doesn't matter which one you press. This gives a more familiar "modern" way of playing stealth in other video games.

No keybind edits, no setting changes, no configuration required. It will forcefully override the "Toggle Sneak" option, but it won't modify your setting for it. You can still run while crouching, and it will immediately revert back into sneaking once the running has stopped.

UPDATE 1.1: Updated to 0.10.27 for minor fix as a result of the crouch action activating on key-down
Last edited by jefetienne on Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

Regnier

Re: [MOD] Sneak and Crouch Combined

Post by Regnier »

Hey it works.

crouching and sneaking both have a speed modifier, correct? are both applied here? Id rather have only 50% spd from stealth. also when sprinting in crouch that does that also have to 50%spd so it counts as sneaking? that would make stealth builds better i think

thanks

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

Regnier wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:23 am Hey it works.

crouching and sneaking both have a speed modifier, correct? are both applied here? Id rather have only 50% spd from stealth. also when sprinting in crouch that does that also have to 50%spd so it counts as sneaking? that would make stealth builds better i think

thanks
Glad it does :) I believe that both crouching and sneaking have their own different speed modifiers and both do get applied together. I haven't touched any speed modifiers as all this mod does is cast "sneak" when you crouch and "crouch" when you sneak. Essentially this mod is just a basic shortcut to having both tied together as opposed to pressing both buttons individually.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

All I can say is finally. Now we need a mod that disables stealth checks if running or walking.

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

[Insert FINALLY comment here]

But in all seriousness, this kind of change was well overdue :lol:

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

Updated the post to include the quote "finally".
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

jefetienne wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:34 am
Regnier wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:23 am Hey it works.

thanks
Glad it does :) I believe that both crouching and sneaking have their own different speed modifiers and both do get applied together. I haven't touched any speed modifiers as all this mod does is cast "sneak" when you crouch and "crouch" when you sneak. Essentially this mod is just a basic shortcut to having both tied together as opposed to pressing both buttons individually.
i think its better to have only the stealth speed applied. as of right now it would take 4x as long for a stealth character to traverse a dungeon.

This is down the line but allowing sneak run at higher levels opens up gameplay.

without a mod like this, to know whether or not im sneaking i can assess my speed but it can be hard to tell at a glance and toggling the button would take me out of sneak...I think a 'sneaking' symbol on screen (near the interact mode icon) would be great.

also can crouch not be so low? lol.

great mod idea

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

Regnier wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:47 pm
i think its better to have only the stealth speed applied. as of right now it would take 4x as long for a stealth character to traverse a dungeon.
Regnier wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:47 pm
also can crouch not be so low? lol.
Both of these aspects are a bit harder to change through modding as of right now, and briefly skimming through the code involved with them, it might create a lot of corner cases that I'd have to resolve. I also would like to keep the mod simple so it doesn't interfere with other mods that would like to change them in the future.

If it sounds better you can still run while crouching and that disables sneak.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Maybe you could add a description of how DF sneaking works to the description, and then say that the mod simplifies those mechanics to be more like modern streamlined games for those that prefer it?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Regnier wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:47 pm This is down the line but allowing sneak run at higher levels opens up gameplay.
Isn’t that just called «run»? Or if you want slower: «walk»?

It’s not like you have to keep sneak pressed for stealth checks to be made.