WIP: Basic Roads

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Midknightprince

Re: WIP: Basic Roads

Post by Midknightprince »

No crashing for me so far (0.10.16).
The only thing I have noticed is sometimes (seems random) when I try to start the path travel on the little roads around places, sometimes it takes a bit to detect the roads (it says no road to travel down when I'm standing on it) or sometimes it doesn't engage until I get on an actual road or path out of the place..
I've had no trouble actually going to places, and it doesn't seem to do it if I'm just passing through, so maybe when I first load the place if I was inside or I just loaded the game.
Just something...
Really good mod though, you really kicked but with this thing, all you guys..
Check out my YouTube Channel!

N_Molson

Post by N_Molson »

I can't be sure but I think that the pathing system 'thinks' that roads go through the center of the location. So try positioning between the center of the place and the road you want to follow.

To be confirmed...

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Midknightprince wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:47 am No crashing for me so far (0.10.16).
The only thing I have noticed is sometimes (seems random) when I try to start the path travel on the little roads around places, sometimes it takes a bit to detect the roads (it says no road to travel down when I'm standing on it) or sometimes it doesn't engage until I get on an actual road or path out of the place..
I assume you mean 0.10.26?

If you're off centre of a road, e.g on the encircling road of a location, It helps if you look at where the road is going as it's the angle of the direction you're looking that's tested. Looking at the road in front of you will not help. Sorry I had meant to mention that in the description but I am so busy I just bashed out a quick description to get the mod out.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

I am more and more happy about this mod. In combination with making places "permanent" in the C# script, and then waiting for the player to enter such a place, this enables me to write quests where the exact location is not explicitly mentioned, but where it can be described using road directions, rewarding players to actually read the texts, look at the map and travel on their own without explicitly given order.

For example, which place do I refer to when I write:

".... he was supposed to take the northeastern road from Tulune all the way up to the border and wait at a farm near a small lake."

Solution:
Spoiler!
Old Lysolda's Farm in Glenpoint, next to the border to Tulune

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Nice idea, wonder if Jay will revise all the cartographer quests accordingly. :)

One thing to bear in mind is that over time roads may get changed or adjusted if people travel and find they need re-routing around terrain, but I think this will be minimal. So it would be worth travelling the paths you want to use to see if they need any adjustments first.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Hazelnut wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:28 am One thing to bear in mind is that over time roads may get changed or adjusted if people travel and find they need re-routing around terrain, but I think this will be minimal. So it would be worth travelling the paths you want to use to see if they need any adjustments first.
Sure, I will have to keep this updated, but I have to do this anyway, depending on how Distant Terrain and/or Interesting Terrain (once it supports roads) develop. But this is not very complex. :)

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

Is it possible to add the option to, when selecting a road, choose a destination?

For instance if i want to travel to a city i can go through the travel map or i can find a road and choose the option for road travel to that city.

The roads work pretty damn well but are only good for short distances, this would solve that issue.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

You can choose a destination and travel directly there. The roads are for players that want more involvement and to navigate their way via roads across the land. So no I am not going to add what you're asking for by design.

N_Molson

Post by N_Molson »

What about a speed modifier ? The reason why roads were built in the first place was to make travels easier. From my personal experience, trying to reach any destination without using roads or track is exhausting, difficult and can be dangerous. Even an open plain becomes a treacherous mudpit at the first rain. You can break your ankle by walking into a rabbit hole, and you really need to read the terrain, which takes a lot of time. Dense forests are much worse, and you can be happy to travel 10 kilometers a day (add some good rain and you can hardly move without slipping on something). Mountains and even hills are of course another kind of challenge as the slope exhausts you and you have to be extra careful (rolling stones, landslides, avalanches...). Swamps are awful. Sand deserts like the Alik'r are not much better and will slow any traveler.

The mankind's answer to all those challenges are roads. The romans made it a science as they realized that legions could move twice as fast if they could use stone roads.

So yes, it would make sense if the player had speed penalties applied when traveling off-roads (those penalties could even be worse when raining).

That's probably out of this mod scale, but still might worth thinking about it.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

If it's not something Travel Options does, I might consider adding it to C&C. Sometimes the optimal choice will always be to go off-road, but it should be with some downsides.