Splat Terrain Texturing

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Midknightprince

Re: High Resolution Terrain Textures/Splat Terrain Texturing

Post by Midknightprince »

TheLacus wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:54 am
Midknightprince wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:39 am
TheLacus wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:11 pm Added Splat Terrain Texturing to miscellaneous files. It will eventually take the place of current version of the mod, probably when Daggerfall Unity 0.10.27 (?) is released.

It's pretty much the same build i already released here on forums, just with a few minor improvements. It doesn't include specific changes for reflections or roads, they will come with a future update.
Does it not work in 10.24 ?
I got it in mods but it's not showing up...
No, it requires Daggerfall Unity 0.10.25 as stated by file description. ;)
Sweet thank you..
Oh man, I cannot wait for .26 now..
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Midknightprince

Okay......I loaded this thing up in .25.
Even the snow is all shiney ?
Dude....I love it !
It is perfect.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Hi TheLacus,
I am working on a new version of the realtime reflections mod compatible with your splat terrain texturing mod.
there are 2 things I want to discuss here.

1st thing is that when raining terrain textures get reflective. I love it, but would it be possible to attenuate wet reflections for every ground material except the streets - because it looks a bit too uniform imo (furthermore the seam at the border of planar planes will be less visible), see this screenshot:

2nd thing is about reflections. I need to find a way to blend planar reflection texture into the reflectionstexture of the deferred rendering pipeline in the same way as it is done in your preview build of your mod with reflection probes or screen space reflections, see these 3 screenshots of probes, ssr and planar reflections for comparison:
probe reflections:
screen space reflections:
planar reflections:

I would love to get it to respect the roughness of the water, but currently it is just a pixelwise blending which looks a bit too perfect imo, what do you think?
Unfortunately I don't know how to do it right, I will take a look at the code of unity's build-in-shaders and see if I can find and understand how it is done for probes.
Also the ssr code of the post processing stack might be useful, but this is sophisticated code :'(

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Thanks Nystul, i played a bit with the new version of your mod and it looks great. I'll see what i can do about the topics you raised. :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Next thing I want to fix is terrain transition of distant terrain mod with your mod, see the issue:

update:
ok easy fix is to just not try to blend textures for terrains of the terrain transition ring ;)
nevertheless it would be cool if I somehow could blend from your shader's shading to the distant terrain shader - too bad that there is no list of materials for terrain objects like there is for meshrenderers - then it would be easy - maybe another terrain layer could be used for this but I fear one would still have to modify the splat terrain texturing shader, but I had hoped to get away without injecting a modified shader variant...

Bushed

Post by Bushed »

:D

TheLacus

Re: Splat Terrain Texturing

Post by TheLacus »

It's been a while since the latest update, but i finally managed to spend some time on this and release a new version. There is only a big change, which is the support for water reflection using any of the following:
  • Screen Space Reflections: this effect can be enabled directly by this mod, or using other mods like Post Processing Effects. In that case make sure to pick Quality: Custom if you don't want to override its quality settings.
  • Realtime Reflections: you still need to enable reflections from Splat Terrain Texturing because it uses a non-reflective material if disabled. Use Quality: Custom to disable SSR.
As suggested by Nystul, the rain wet effect is somewhat lighter on materials other than roads. In any case be warned that this one combined with reflection can have a big effect on performance when is raining. :D

You can download the new version from Nexus Mods and use it with the preview build 0.10.26 of Daggerfall Unity. It doesn't work on 0.10.24 or older.

pango

Post by pango »

Thank you both!
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Midknightprince

Everytime the sun changes position with this mod on there was a lag Spike.
It doesn't crash it's just a bit of a lag Spike

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

I'm not sure what to do with water in winter... should it be water or ice? i'm going with frozen pond for now.
Midknightprince wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:19 pm Everytime the sun changes position with this mod on there was a lag Spike.
It doesn't crash it's just a bit of a lag Spike
Can you try to toggle reflections or change reflection type and see if it makes any difference?