Noob trying to create a "painted" look from photographs

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
fosley

Re: Noob trying to create a "painted" look from photographs

Post by fosley »

King of Worms wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:22 pm So basically, paintings:
048_1-0
148_1-0
348_1-0
448_1-0
I actually noticed all those paintings from your DREAM mod when I installed Decorator and hung one of them above the bed in my ship.
Bedroom Painting.jpg
Bedroom Painting.jpg (304.56 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
When I realized the mod only lets you place a few paintings, I figured out that those textures aren't the same as the paintings you get in the palaces and banks. What you retextured was the 3D paintings used in world space, while my textures go to the inventory items you can click Info to see.
Inventory View.jpg
Inventory View.jpg (279.35 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
My hope is that the Decorator mod sees some improvements, one of which might be the ability to add custom items to the store. At that point, I'd like to add all the base inventory paintings in the game as 3D objects that can be placed in the game world. They could also be used as a modder's resource to be added elsewhere, but my aim would be to place them inside player homes / ships for flavor. By upgrading the textures, it will make it worthwhile to actually place them in large sizes around the home.

Having collected all the paintings (as best I could, not realizing some paintings are duplicated) back in the day, I decided to try collecting them all again. That led to my Numbered textures (and a spreadsheet that's far more complicated than it needs to be).

I'm also working on re-texturing the message box. The edges are fine, but somewhere in trying to blend the center texture, I got a bunch of weird patterns that look funny. I tried blurring that part of the texture, which isn't too bad in game when you're focused on the text, but it still isn't good. Not that the message box only affects the paintings, but it makes it more obvious when the image is high resolution and the message box is not.
Message Box Example.jpg
Message Box Example.jpg (295.19 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
Also, I'm having problems in 0.10.26 that the message box doesn't resize itself to fit the images at all any more (even with no mods activated). I was hoping there would be a way to specify a render height for the images to fix the couple that were broken in vanilla, but I'm not having much luck finding it in the DFU documentation, if it exists. And since they're all broken now, I really don't know where to begin.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Oh so these are different paintings than I thought. I always wondered where are these to be seen, and its in the inventory - got it :)

Im quite sure the issue with text box to fit the paintings will be dealt with by some of the veteran coders/contributors. It just needs to get their attention, which will hopefully happen. Maybe let Interkarma know about it, I saw Pango is already here at the thread, Lacus is also very capable, and there are many more at the Git.

I like your text box retexture, I tried it as well and failed miserably, its quite difficult to make it work :X

Also, if I may suggest, if there is a generic nature image or something which is not based on real life paintings, getting a TES themed images might be a cool idea. But that is just my feeling ofc, I did so in some cases of the 3d painting retexture.

Good luck with the project!

fosley

Post by fosley »

So I figured out what's going on with my central messagebox texture. Apparently, the game is rendering a 5½x5½ group of the textures for each block you'd expect it. Here's what it looks like if I tile them manually:
Proper Look.jpg
Proper Look.jpg (868.32 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
Here's what it looks like currently:
Current Look.jpg
Current Look.jpg (914.59 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
I need to go back and smooth some of the seams but it really doesn't look too bad as is, if it was rendered properly. It's just that the inner tiles are being duplicated a lot.

The tiles should be laid out like so:
Proper Look Grid.jpg
Proper Look Grid.jpg (890.58 KiB) Viewed 1265 times

fosley

Post by fosley »

Here's how the tiles are actually being laid out:
Current Look Grid.jpg
Current Look Grid.jpg (964.97 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
With the original textures, it doesn't matter at all, because the central texture is literally a block of all the same color. It could be a 1x1 texture and it would still tile properly.

But with my texture, you can see the actual texture so you notice the huge difference in how the edges and centers are tiled.

fosley

Post by fosley »

I'm curious if I may have done something weird to my DFU install that's causing some of these graphics anomalies. I get the misaligned paperdoll heads and you don't seem to. Can you check to see if you're getting the message box issues as well? I attached the current messagebox textures:
HRT - Misc.zip
(790.88 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
I did install the DREAM Reshade stuff, but I wouldn't think that would affect anything at this level. Otherwise I don't know of anything I did that would affect the game.

fosley

Post by fosley »

King of Worms wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:42 pm Also, if I may suggest, if there is a generic nature image or something which is not based on real life paintings, getting a TES themed images might be a cool idea.
I thought about going into ESO or Skyrim or something and getting screenshots of various cities, landscapes, etc. to make the images feel more "Nirn" and less "Earth". But I'm not sure the quality would hold up well, and it's a lot of work. Plus, I'm not sure how that counts for copyright issues, since the renders are ultimately using Bethesda / Zenimax assets.

The other idea would be to try finding a bunch of fan art, but, first, there are 152 non-painted images (and if I went that route I'd probably want to change all the painted images anyways, since they are definitely not from Nirn, bringing the total to 180 images), and, second, I'd have to try getting permission from all the artists and I'm too lazy for that right now.

I did find some fantasy-themed stuff on Pixabay for the SFW "nudes" (elves, dragons, witches, vampires, etc.) and one of the NSFW nudes (she's casting some kind of fire spell). But mostly I just tried to find images without obvious modern elements (or cheat with the clone tool to remove them - trying to find cows without tags in their ears is a pain).

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thinks for the info on how the text boxes are made, I will DL the stuff and have a look.
Can you send me the save files with misaligned heads please.
I need all feedback for paperdoll and ppl are not able to provide any :X

pango

Post by pango »

fosley wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:39 pm I thought about going into ESO or Skyrim or something and getting screenshots of various cities, landscapes, etc. to make the images feel more "Nirn" and less "Earth". But I'm not sure the quality would hold up well, and it's a lot of work. Plus, I'm not sure how that counts for copyright issues, since the renders are ultimately using Bethesda / Zenimax assets.
What about screenshots from Daggerfall Unity?
With well chosen location and time (there could be some kind of screenshots contest?), graphic mods and some post-processing / drawing touch ups, I'm sure we could get interesting pictures. We have some already.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

pango wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:15 am
What about screenshots from Daggerfall Unity?
With well chosen location and time (there could be some kind of screenshots contest?), graphic mods and some post-processing / drawing touch ups, I'm sure we could get interesting pictures. We have some already.
Wayrest City, commissioned by His Royal Highness Eadwyre

fosley

Post by fosley »

So I got distracted by messing with Blender while upgrading the Joystick calibration texture. That texture isn't used in the in-game menu at all, but the Decorator mod uses that texture for its control menu, so I thought if I upgraded it, it would show up in the mod's menu.

Turns out it was a custom texture he did, so my texture does nothing. :cry: Still, I wanted to figure out Blender so I can start working on 3D painting assets, so it's not a total loss. :lol:
Original Scaled.png
Original Scaled.png (22.73 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
CNFG04I0.IMG_0-0.jpg
CNFG04I0.IMG_0-0.jpg (899.64 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
RenderWide.jpg
RenderWide.jpg (1004.16 KiB) Viewed 1192 times