0.10.27 - Main quest item not found when another quest already using dungeon

Moderators will move topics here from Help & Support once an issue has been confirmed and enough information provided to reproduce.
Uncanny_Valley

0.10.27 - Main quest item not found when another quest already using dungeon

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

I got a quest from Queen Aubk-i of Daggerfall to find parcels of paper in Castle Necromoghan but the item isn't there. I have searched everywhere and used the command "tele2qmarker" but even that can't find it. :(

I believe the issue was caused because that I got a separate quest to the same location. Earlier in the game I got a letter that told me about the skeleton key held by a lich and I got 3 months to complete it (I believe this is from Quest Pack #1 mod). So when entering the location I got the message "This must be the place" and I did find and kill the lich and got the key. But when continuing exploring, I could not find the parcel. Entering and existing the dungeon did not help.

I'm playing with quite a large amount of mods, but even after disabling all of them, the issue exist, but the only one that I can think off that might cause issue is persistent dungeons.

Including the save file.
SAVE16.zip
(366.72 KiB) Downloaded 122 times

Ralzar

Re: Quest item not found in dungeon

Post by Ralzar »

Can two quests be in the same dungeon? I doubt it. So since you already had a quest in Castle Necromoghan, the Main Quest was not able to put its own quest item into the dungeon? I think the Castle Necromoghan only has one quest marker spot? At least the MQ always places the quest item the same place in that dungeon.

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

I'm guessing there are fail safes to prevent active quests to use the same locations? Maybe there isn't any fail safe for quest to use main quest locations, and that causes issue since the main quests have their locations pre-determined?

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

Ralzar wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:16 pm Can two quests be in the same dungeon? I doubt it. So since you already had a quest in Castle Necromoghan, the Main Quest was not able to put its own quest item into the dungeon? I think the Castle Necromoghan only has one quest marker spot? At least the MQ always places the quest item the same place in that dungeon.
I'm not sure if there is only one possible quest location in Castle Necromogan, or maybe that is how Daggerfall Unity handles it. I actually had to follow a guide http://www.tesguides.com/tes2/walkthru/letters.htm in order to find all the locations (there is this quite frankly a stupid switch that is a skull that you need to activate) and the guide describes it as having multiple possible locations.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

In DFU it is under the trapdoor every single time. Not sure if that is because of the MQ or the dungeon.

pango

Post by pango »

Ralzar wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:02 pm In DFU it is under the trapdoor every single time. Not sure if that is because of the MQ or the dungeon.
The UESP lists 6 possible locations, so if that's the case, it's a bug.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

pango wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:05 pm
Ralzar wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:02 pm In DFU it is under the trapdoor every single time. Not sure if that is because of the MQ or the dungeon.
The UESP lists 6 possible locations, so if that's the case, it's a bug.
For some reason, I set this to use a static marker in Oct 2017.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... eb51f724d7

Most main quests use a specific marker index and I tried to match that index throughout main quest. But I can't recall the reason here I selected that marker instead of being left random. Easy enough just to revert that change though and let the item land wherever.

Edit1: Actually, the item still will only appear in up to 3 locations as the default behaviour is to use an itemmarker for items. Castle Necromoghan has 3x itemmarkers and 3x questmarkers, so classic must be randomly selecting from all 6 markers here. I'll add a new marker preference tag so that all markers can be used at random by quest scripts.

Edit2: Fixed above and implemented "anymarker" tag so that "place item" quest action can use random marker from combined pool of questmarkers and itemmarkers. This will allow item to appear in up to 6 different locations like classic.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... c1efab7a06

Uncanny_Valley wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:45 pm I'm guessing there are fail safes to prevent active quests to use the same locations? Maybe there isn't any fail safe for quest to use main quest locations, and that causes issue since the main quests have their locations pre-determined?
This is correct. Random dungeons selection will exclude any dungeon already hosting a quest. Main quest dungeons are fixed however and cannot just go somewhere else. If that dungeon is already being used, at best I'd call the behaviour "undefined". Handling this would require some refactoring to quest system that I'm not ready to take on just yet.

Edit3: I might have a low-impact way to address this edge case that doesn't involve refactoring a lot of of the resource placement code. I'll see what I can do.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

The most blunt way to handle something like this would probably be to have a “Come back later, I might have a job for you then.” popup trigger if you try to start a MQ part and the dungeon for that MQ is in use.

Edit: or to keep it consistent with vanilla: npc is unclicksble while the dungeon is unavailable.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

You're a mind reader Ralzar. :)

I honestly overlooked handling this case when building quest system. :oops:

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Did this quest in DFU 0.10.27 right now.

Letter was in another, much more easily accessible, spot. Not sure if this was changed recently or if it was pure random bad luck that everyone always seemed to get the trapdoor spot.