Steam Controller Config | Full Parity w/ Keyboard

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Hickelpickle

Steam Controller Config | Full Parity w/ Keyboard

Post by Hickelpickle »

I know it's niche, but I love my steam controller these days for more lax gaming and working at my backlog. Checking there was only one config available and it was missing half the important binds and was kind of a mess. So I spent some time improving it and learning how to do some more in-depth mapping to get all the keyboard and mouse functionality on the steam controller.

Most button have a 2nd bind if held, as this was the only way to get a full mapping. Also has the ability to bring up the on-screen keyboard for finding locations when fast traveling, or for specific number input.

Mouse input on the right pad has track ball on w/ low friction and low acceleration as that is my go to feel. I think it feels great, but other my disagree. Makes it slightly hard to select spots on the map with the accel, since they are so small and hard to pinpoint as it is. No gyro as I tend not to use it.

You might need to lower your in-game sensitivity some. Or you can lower in the config, but generally the community consensus is it's better to have the sensitivity on the higher side in the controller config and lower the in-game sensitivity.

Bindings are as follows:
  • Right Touchpad: Mouse | Switch Weapon/Hand(Press) | Abort Spell(Hold)

Left Pad: [Up]:Travel Map(Press)/Console(Hold) | [Right]Interactions Toggle(Press) | [Down]Transportation(Press) | [Left]Information(Press)/Screenshot(Hold)

Left Stick: Walk | Run (Push to Edge) | Crouch(Press Down) | On-Screen Keyboard (Hold Down)

"Select": Rest(Press) | Quicksave(Hold)

"Start": Main Menu(Escape)

Left Bumper: Cast(Press) | Recast(Hold)

Left Trigger: Attack(Right Mouse)

Left Paddle: Use Magic Item(Press) | Divide Item Stack(Hold) | Levitate Down(Hold)

Right Bumper: Ready Weapon(Press) | Cursor/Enter(Hold)

Right Trigger: Activate/Cast(Press)

Right Paddle: Jump/Levitate Up(Press)

*ABXY have a second binding for quick numbers so you don't have to bring up the keyboard for loitering, renting rooms, ect. They have their main binding, then if you hold they input backspace(to clear residual entries) then 1/12,3,6,9. Holding A first puts in 1 then adds a 2 for 12 if you keep it depressed.

A: Journal(Press) | Notes(Hold) | 1/12 (Long Hold)

X: Automap(Press) | 3(Hold)

Y: Character Attributes(Press) | 6(Hold)

B: Inventory(Press) | 9(Hold)
Hopefully this can be beneficial to some. Let me know if there are any issues or if I'm forgetting anything.

Config Link (Opens in steam)

Code: Select all

steam://controllerconfig/daggerfall/2261031436
Last edited by Hickelpickle on Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Re: Steam Controller Config | Full Parity w/ Keyboard

Post by Interkarma »

I love my old Steam Controller and Steam Link box. I've used it to play DFU with controller before we had proper support.

Look forward to trying this out with your profile on the couch while streaming from my gaming PC.

Thank you for sharing! :)

Hickelpickle

Re: Steam Controller Config | Full Parity w/ Keyboard

Post by Hickelpickle »

Slight edit, Jump spam now works! Levitate up is now instant, though you must still hold down the left paddle to levitate down as for some reason it wouldn't work right double bound to the first bind. If anyone was already using this, you can load the new url for the updated bindings(Steam makes controller config sharing so convoluted)
Interkarma wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:19 am I love my old Steam Controller and Steam Link box. I've used it to play DFU with controller before we had proper support.

Look forward to trying this out with your profile on the couch while streaming from my gaming PC.

Thank you for sharing! :)
Thanks for the great work on this port! Been wanting to play DF for years, but wanted to get the full experience, and dosbox was a hassle along with shaking my mouse to attack. Happy to have a great way to play it and the mod support is excellent. You've help build a nice community around this game.(I know it's always existed, but the port really add too it and enables it to be larger)