My DFU Setup

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Ralzar

My DFU Setup

Post by Ralzar »

I keep writing up the same posts over and over to answer questions about what mods to use etc. So I decided to just make this topic I could link to instead :D

Note: this is for DFU v0.10.26+

Installing Daggerfall
Use the guide here to install DaggerfallGameFiles

Do not trust any other installs.

Daggerfall Unity Settings

On the startup screen I strongly recommend activating "CLICK TO ATTACK".

Choose "Advanced" and the "Enhancements" tab and set up your settings like this.

NOTE THE LIGHT SETTINGS. These will make a huge impact on the games atmosphere when combined with the Improved Interior Lighting mod. (Also set Dungeon Light to 0.2 in the Better Ambiance mod)
dfusettings.png
dfusettings.png (762.95 KiB) Viewed 2918 times

Mods

Leave all mod settings at default except:
LevelUp Adjuster: Activate "Retroactive HP". Consider setting Attributes to 1-9 and if you want a challenge, set starting attributes to -10 or -20. (When making character, make sure this combined with Races Redone doesn't reduce an attribute to 0)
Travel Options: In the modsettings, click "Presets" up in the right corner and use "Tedious Travel"
Better Ambiance: Set Dungeon Light to 0.2

Mods only available on the forums:
Enhanched Sky(Switches out the pixel art sky with a more realistic sky that visually fits terrain mods)
viewtopic.php?t=1542
Masked Road Textures (improves the look of the Basic Roads mod. The vanilla look is very industrial.)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4053

Search for the mods below on https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity :
Archeologist (Adds a guild and makes language skills not useless.)
Basic Roads (Adds Roads and paths to travel on using the Travel Options mod)
Believable Equipment Characteristics and Durability (Changes how fast items get worn down.)
Better Ambience (Adds and improves many sound and visual effects in the game.)
Climates & Calories (Adds heat/cold effects as well as food items and starvation)
Helmet Swap (Just a small cosmetic mod to make barbarians have horned helmets and archers not.)
Improved Interior Lighting (Makes the houses and dungeons much more atmospheric)
LevelUp Adjuster (Can be used to change what happens when you level up.)
Limited Gold Shops (Gives shop a limit to how much they can buy)
Lousy Lycans (Changes lycantrophy to be a curse with cool side effects.)
Meaner Monsters (Buffs a lot of the monsters in the game and nerfs a few that are weirdly powerful)
Mountains And Hills (Makes the wilderness have terrain)
Optional Main Quest (Lets you remove the Main Quest. Goes well with Random Starting Dungeon)
Physical Combat and Armor Overhaul (Changes and improves combat calculations to make more sense.)
Quest Pack 1(Adds lots and lots of new quests to the game, making it much less repetitive)
Random Starting Dungeon (Start in random dungeon. WARNING: very deadly with this modlist)
Races Redone (Adds a lot more effects to your race selesction)
Realistic Wagon (Makes horse and wagon in the game act more realistic)
Reasonable Blood (Visually changes enemies to not have blood effects if it makes no sense)
Roleplay&Realism (Lots and lots of tweaks and improvements to the game)
Roleplay&Realism: Items (Lots and lots of tweaks and improvements to items and loot)
Repair Tools (Shops sell items that can be used to repair partially damaged items yourself)
Start Saver (Makes a save after character creation. With this modlist, you might need it.)
Taverns Redone (Makes most taverns MUCH better looking)
Travel Options (For realistic traveling. This mod-set doesn't really work without it.)
Torch Taker (Allows you to take the torhces from dungeon walls))
Unleveled Loot (Makes loot generation not level scale. Also makes shop quality count a lot for their stock.)
Unleveled Mobs (Changes the spawn tables to not care about your level))
Vampiric Options (Gives some options and mechanics changes to improve the vampire experience)
VillagerImmersionOverhaul (Makes the towns have much more interesting villagers)
WindmillsOfDaggerfall (Adds windmills. They're a nice addition)

Honorable Mentions (mods I want to or consider using, but don't)
Warm Ashes (This one is a bit in flux at the moment. Keep an eye on its updates and use it at your own discretion.)

Now, I do not use graphics overhaul mods because I like how Daggerfall looks and you can do a lot with the Advanced settings in Daggerfall Unity. Also, some of these mods add new items and NPCs that will not be graphically updated. Leading to a mix of smooth and pixelated images.

As for what the mod set does: Makes the game harder and more realistic while also improving a lot of mechanics, adding a bunch of QOL changes and makes the game deeper and more, dare I say, immersive.
Now that said, it might not be the best mod set for a first playthrough, as it will be mostly harder. It does fix a LOT of stuff that you will find really weird and stupid in the game though and makes it a richer experience.

Also: This mod list is made with the intention of using Travel Options. If you choose to not use Travel Options, this mod list will probably mostly cause you annoyance.
Last edited by Ralzar on Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 19 times in total.
My released mods

"I feel like Ralzar specifically wrote those mods for me and then said "Use them". Just so he could watch me die more."
-FuzzyBeanPlays

Ralzar

Re: My DFU Setup

Post by Ralzar »

Updated the OP for 0.10.26
My released mods

"I feel like Ralzar specifically wrote those mods for me and then said "Use them". Just so he could watch me die more."
-FuzzyBeanPlays

KovuCougar

Post by KovuCougar »

I've tried searching Nexus and these forums for "Better Ambiance" but can't seem to find that one. Has it changed names?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

KovuCougar wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:05 pm I've tried searching Nexus and these forums for "Better Ambiance" but can't seem to find that one. Has it changed names?
I see it's a spelling error :D

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/139
My released mods

-FuzzyBeanPlays

Lokkrin Zhataros

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

Hi Ralzar. Don't know if this is an appropriate place to ask this about your setup and settings, I suppose it's a bit of an odd question.

I'm using Better Ambiance mod trying to make dungeons as dark and gloomy as possible and was curious if you use the Dungeon Fog settings and what your opinions are with that. I can't seem to make up my mind if whether or not I like the fog in my dungeons.

Thanks!

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Haha, exactly where I am with that mod effect as well.

I really like the effect and how it makes dungeons a bit more unique. But I kinda hate how the fog makes the dungeons brighter instead of darker.
My released mods

-FuzzyBeanPlays

Lokkrin Zhataros

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

Agreed, the shade of blue fog is too bright for the dungeons. I wish I could change the color of the fog, might be interesting.