[Mod] Taverns Redone

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
AlexanderSig

Re: [Mod] Taverns Redone

Post by AlexanderSig »

Awesome, I love it when the taverns have multiple visible levels like that.

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

The multiple levels are amazing, would be cool if there were multiple entrances too (for sneaky rooftop thieves such as myself :mrgreen: ).

Orbarth

Post by Orbarth »

I have been amazed by how much more "personality" the taverns and inns have now in Daggerfall.
I was running a new character and after going after Lady Brisienna to start the main quest, i was surprised by how better it was.

She was up there , observing the crowd when i made my entrance, so much more atmospheric roleplay than with the vanilla taverns.
Spoiler!
Fantastic work on this addon.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Oh wow! That is fantastic :)

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

Orbarth wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:28 pm I have been amazed by how much more "personality" the taverns and inns have now in Daggerfall.
I was running a new character and after going after Lady Brisienna to start the main quest, i was surprised by how better it was.

She was up there , observing the crowd when i made my entrance, so much more atmospheric roleplay than with the vanilla taverns.
Spoiler!
Fantastic work on this addon.
Glad you like it. This is actually my favorite one I did in the last release. Really happy how it turned out.
emmathepony wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:47 pm The multiple levels are amazing, would be cool if there were multiple entrances too (for sneaky rooftop thieves such as myself :mrgreen: ).
Funny that you would mention this. With the latest batch that I'm working on I actually tried to add exactly this. Almost worked, but sadly the way that entrances and exits are coded at the moment the player character didn't spawn at the position that I wanted. But maybe someday.

N_Molson

Post by N_Molson »

I think a couple of the vanilla taverns have multiples entrances/exits, I remember one with a courtyard.

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

N_Molson wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:53 pm I think a couple of the vanilla taverns have multiples entrances/exits, I remember one with a courtyard.
Yes. There are both taverns and other interior buildings that do have multiple entrances/exits.

For some context. There are 98 unique taverns, that are used over and over again in the game. But all of these 98 taverns are also duplicates of the same 14 or so taverns. So a big challenge I had for this mod is often working on several taverns that start out identical and make them each look different.

In the beginning I mainly differentiated them but giving them different furniture and clutter, but more and more I have started reworking them entirely with different room layouts and hallways , sometimes beginning by gutting them completely on the inside and building the interior from the ground up.

With the latest set of taverns that I'm currently working on, I have also started making alterations to the exterior. The exterior of houses always consist of one big model. But in the Daggerfall game data there are also standalone pieces for single exterior house walls and roof, and I have been successful in using these to build small extensions for some of the taverns, making them slightly more unique. There are also standalone exterior walls that have doors, that I tried to use to add new entrances. They do "work" as in you can interact with them and they do teleport you inside, but in the way that doors are coded, the game gets confused about these doors since there are separate objects from the one big piece that is the rest of the house and doesn't quite know where to place you inside.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Are you able to move quest markers and NPC locations inside? Or do you simply build the new tavern to "fit" the existing positions of those?

At some point new dungeon modules could be a thing is hopefully much the same way you are doing the taverns. By taking the existing variants of modules and redesigning them but in a way where they still fit the original connecting points etc that the original ones had.

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

Ralzar wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:50 am Are you able to move quest markers and NPC locations inside? Or do you simply build the new tavern to "fit" the existing positions of those?

At some point new dungeon modules could be a thing is hopefully much the same way you are doing the taverns. By taking the existing variants of modules and redesigning them but in a way where they still fit the original connecting points etc that the original ones had.
Yes I do move around quest markes and NPC:s. I often add in extra NPC as well.

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

That's pretty cool! If you ever get to modifying cheaper inns that have like one huge room with many beds, hostel type (if you didn't get to some of them already, I've not seen all of them in game yet), it would be pretty cool to add even more beds to the large room and maybe some poor looking NPCs, for a more cramped feeling.

Fellows like these I mean:
31-0.PNG
31-0.PNG (3.31 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
30-0.PNG
30-0.PNG (3.1 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
29-0.PNG
29-0.PNG (4.21 KiB) Viewed 3713 times