[MOD] Travel Options

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Lokkrin Zhataros

Re: [MOD] Travel Options

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

Having recently gotten back into DFU I've had a chance to try out Travel Options, and it certainly improves on the TT mod quite a bit. The extra options and features make time accelerated travel much more convenient. The traveling itself is much more smooth as well and the overall mod feels cleaner.
----
I do have a few issues that have come up in the time using it and some are similar to those when using TT. For me non of the issues can be caused by leaving cursor on any menu bars during travel, as Ralzar suggested, because I almost never keep the cursor on any menu while traveling anyway. It's a bit of habit for me as I don't want to accidentally hit a wrong button when traveling.

I've only been traveling at 15X speed, I don't use any graphical enhancing or grass/trees mods, I'm using Retro Rendering at 320x200 with Palettization-full.

1) During travel I've fallen through the world multiple times and had cities/towns disappear when arriving at them. Has occurred about 4 times.

2) The game has completely frozen several times during travel forcing a restart of the game. Has occurred 3 times.

3) After pausing/stopping travel to deal with enemies or to replenish stamina, when I want to resume travel it doesn't always save the destination point that was set, forcing me to go through the process of setting the destination point all over again. This can happen multiple times during a single trip. A bit of a pain.

Don't know if anyone else has had these issues.
----
Anyway, Travel Options is an awesome, essential mod I'll definitely be using from now on! Good work!

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Lokkrin Zhataros wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:19 am 3) After pausing/stopping travel to deal with enemies or to replenish stamina, when I want to resume travel it doesn't always save the destination point that was set, forcing me to go through the process of setting the destination point all over again. This can happen multiple times during a single trip. A bit of a pain.
Make sure you stop by clicking the campfire icon. If you click the EXIT button it wipes the travel info. Took me a little while to get used to this.

Lokkrin Zhataros

Ralzar wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:07 am
Lokkrin Zhataros wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:19 am 3) After pausing/stopping travel to deal with enemies or to replenish stamina, when I want to resume travel it doesn't always save the destination point that was set, forcing me to go through the process of setting the destination point all over again. This can happen multiple times during a single trip. A bit of a pain.
Make sure you stop by clicking the campfire icon. If you click the EXIT button it wipes the travel info. Took me a little while to get used to this.
Yeah, it took me a bit to figure that out but I've now been generally using the campfire button to stop manually. It can still wipe the travel destination even when doing that. It's also happened when travel stops automatically when enemies spawn. I am using both Climates&Calories and Warm Ashes, maybe that's messing with this mod?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Travel destinations are cleared now when you start to follow a road or track. It was getting causing a bug when resuming travel after avoiding an encounter.. it would switch from path following to travelling direct to the destination.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Lokkrin Zhataros

Hazelnut wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:58 pm Travel destinations are cleared now when you start to follow a road or track. It was getting causing a bug when resuming travel after avoiding an encounter.. it would switch from path following to travelling direct to the destination.
Okay, that makes sense. I'm guessing that the other issues I presented (falling through the world, cities disappearing, etc) are just unavoidable side effects of time accelerated travel. I'll just keep working with it.

Thanks for the help and advice!

Aleryn

Post by Aleryn »

This mod combined with simple roads is incredible. Daggerfall now feels like the plodding European 1990s RPG I always suspected it could be. Especially with all the various survival and atmospheric mods out there.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, it might be cool to have the new buttons/hud upscaled with the DREAM fonts for ppl who use our mods together.
Would you like to share the new tabs so I can work on them a bit? If they are even able to be replaced with the modded ones I mean :)

And one noob question... Ive noticed that the dots on the map have been overhauled, some are very small. Is that a change in a base game? I got a bit out of the loop with this change. For me some of them appear too small. Even if I enable the outlines. Thanks for info

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

You can find all the source files in my github repo for dfu mods, would be cool to have a hi res Dream version. I made it from existing textures, with the icons lifted from the original HUD texture with the buttons.

Yes the dots on the map are shown at higher resolution when you have roads installed, cities and towns are 5x5 pixels and all other locations are drawn 3x3.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

imsobadatnicknames

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

This mod overall improves a lot over Tedious Travel, and I love it. owever, not a big fan of the design choice to only allow ship travel if the trip crosses an ocean. I don't really think it adds anything in terms of immersion or realism, since sometimes taking a ship makes sense even if you don't have to cross an ocean just because it's faster than going by foot (both in terms of real-world time and in terms of in-game time).

E.g, with my most recent character when I got the quest to go to Shedungent I decided to save some time by taking a ship from Daggerfall to Wrothgaria, and then going from Wrothgaria to Shedungent on foot, but ended up having to take a boat from Daggerfall to Betony and then from Betony to Wrothgaria.
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

A very cool mod, definitely love using it! Apart from occasional falling through the terrain, didn't have any issues.

Of course, I'd be on a lookout if future versions will make it possible for cautious travel to automatically follow the roads as closely as possible, while reckless travel still goes directly to target. This would definitely be much more convenient than deciding which road to take at any given moment.