SOLVED - Since 0.10.26 the MODded videos do not play when Reshade is activated

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
King of Worms

SOLVED - Since 0.10.26 the MODded videos do not play when Reshade is activated

Post by King of Worms »

As the topic said :X

I recreated the DFMOD with Cinematics in the 2019 LTS with latest Tools for Unity.
The videos play correctly when Reshade is not activated.

But when I activate the Reshade, I have only a black screen until I press any key. That will skip the video and unstuck the game. I use the same version of Reshade as I have used before. I tried using latest version, or older, and it doesnt change anything - still the same bug.

Something definitely changed with the videos since we moved to 2019 LTS.
They did not even work in 0.10.26+ until I remade the Cinematics DFMOD in 2019 LTS as well.

I have a feeling this will be tricky to troubleshoot.
Any ideas what might be the issue here, or how to get to the bottom of it?
Im completely lost here.

Thank you
Last edited by King of Worms on Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Re: Since 0.10.26 the MODded videos do not play when Reshade is activated

Post by Interkarma »

I don't have much helpful input at this stage, but I might be able to kick things off by working from first principles.

We use the Unity VideoPlayer class to play the replacement videos.

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReferenc ... layer.html

This is presented in DagUI using the VideoPlayerDrawer class. It's basically copying the VideoPlayer output render texture into DagUI using GUI.DrawTexture.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... rDrawer.cs

While nothing changed on our end, it's possible the internal implementation in Unity 2019.4 LTS is no longer compatible with ReShade in some way. If this only happens with ReShade enabled, it's almost certainly some incompatibility there.

As for fixing on our end, none of us are developers of Unity or ReShade. If these two products have issues in some components, I'm not sure what we can do. We might be able to tinker with presentation mechanics, but at this time it's unknown why ReShade would break VideoPlayer.

Until someone has a deeper technical analysis and can suggest a solution, the best advice seems to be not to use ReShade or discourage its use in combination with modded video files.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks for the reply and the details Interkarma.

Ive made some testing, but I was not able to make the vids play. What I did was:

Try to inject the videos as a loosefiles - no change
Try to start video playback thru console - no change

Try to check thru the logfiles - here comes the question - did the naming changed to Player.log?
If so, than I tried to start game - load save - open console - "playvid anim0000" - check the log

Inside the log at the end, I can see the executed command, but no information about the success or in this case a failure.
Why there is no info in the videoplayer crash/bug there? Is that ok?

Heres the log:
Player.rar
(8.58 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Thanks a lot!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

After further investigation Ive noticed extreme GPU usage in 0.10.27 with reshade installed (NOT activated aka no postprocess effects actively being used) compared to 0.10.24... this means whole engine has changed so much its not further compatible with reshade.
And thats a damn loss :cry:

Also, its very unique and non-standard. I dont know of any game on my HDD which behaves this way. Not even other unity games, all run flawlessly.

Something changed A LOT behind the scenes when upgrading to 2019 LTS...

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I can say that on ATi card on windows 8 this issue does not exist and on nvidia card on windows 10 the issue is as described... so its either HW specific, OS specific or both

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Interesting. Hopefully the above info helps things get resolved eventually.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Guys Ive made a breakthru realization of what is happening!!!

Its ALL about the videoplayer

Prefix Clarification about reshade installed/effects activated difference:
Reshade installed: the DLL libraries are placed in the game, Reshade interface appears after start of DFU
Reshade effects activated: actual activation of the effects in the game so for example sharpening starts to work

A) Current issues in UNITY 2019LTS + ReShade installed are:
1) Videos are not playing
2) Excessive GPU usage ever since the 1st video fails to play (even at the Load / Save screen I have 80% GPU usage)
NO MATTER if the reshade effects are actually activated! Just the presence of ReShade installation is enough to cause it.

B) Before Unity 2019 LTS+ ReShade installed
1) Vids were playing
2) Normal GPU usage. GPU usage VARIES: ReShade effects disabled > low usage. Effects enabled > higher usage

NOW

I have realized THIS

If I used current 0.10.27, ReShade installed and DISABLE the modded videos (and thus the intro video plays normally?! even with reshade) - rest of the game works as in a (B) scenario - FLAWLESS.

So the fact the my modded mp4 video fails to play completely MESSES UP the rest of the game. Something gets stuck there in the background causing ever-present high GPU load, no matter if the effects are ON/OFF

So if we manage to solve the video player issue (or the modded videos issues specifically) the whole game will be again ReShade compatible, and behave in a standard way. And I really really want that.

The ONLY ISSUE IS THE VIDEO PLAYER getting stuck in combination with my Modded Videos and ReShade.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

...aaaaaand its done :ugeek:

I converted the mp4 videos to VP8 codec in unity and that solved it. The standard H264 H265 did not work.

God knows why this was happening since moving to 2019LTS.

Only issue I have is with one video, the shortest one with the Imperial Palace titles... the sound of thunder does not play there, but I guess I will somehow solve it, and if not, than its not a big issue.

Interkarma

Re: SOLVED - Since 0.10.26 the MODded videos do not play when Reshade is activated

Post by Interkarma »

Congrats and great work on that one!

What an unusual problem. :?

King of Worms

Re: SOLVED - Since 0.10.26 the MODded videos do not play when Reshade is activated

Post by King of Worms »

Interkarma wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:25 am Congrats and great work on that one!

What an unusual problem. :?
Still the VP8 transcoded videos take a HUGE quality hit :?
Theres no way a mp4 video will play with reshade, I tried everything :D

Can we maybe support more video formats beside the mp4? I have a feeling some other format might actually work properly and look good.

This VP8 is from my understanding the WEBM which is the format we use for linux. So thats why its somehow accepted by DFU I guess, even for windows? Feels like quite a dirty workaround. And looks like it as well on screen...

Would be great if I was able to use other formats and experiment with those.

Thanks a lot :)