[Overhaul Project] Daggerfall Unity Re-imagined

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Magicono43

Re: [Overhaul Project] Daggerfall Unity Re-imagined

Post by Magicono43 »

I was have trouble getting a video recording with decent audio for whatever reason, so I just decided to include some audio recording of some testing that is show-casing the main audio additions I currently have implemented. I also will likely add special hit sounds to specific enemies like skeletons and gargoyles and such, but I was getting a bit tired of mixing audio for the time being. Figured I would give some samples of what the current added audio clips sound like in-game and not just on their own.

So here are some MP3s of what I currently have added for now.
Plate-Shield-Presentation-1.rar
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 91 times
Leather-Shield-Presentation-1.rar
(558.7 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Plate-Armor-Presentation-1.rar
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 88 times
Excuse the constant rat sounds, they happen to be the best for showing these sounds since they deal very little damage and trigger the clips more often, there were 5 of them attacking at once.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Here are the other sounds that are for the critical hit sound effects for all 3 of the respective damage types. Keep in mind that I hacked this character to have 100 crit skill and 100 luck, so the sounds/crits happen much more often than would normally happen in most cases.
Blunt-Critical-Strike-Presentation-1.rar
(859.64 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Cutting-Critical-Strike-Presentation-1.rar
(715.09 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Piercing-Critical-Strike-Presentation-1.rar
(857.82 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
These clips were made spawning Healer enemies and attacking them with the respective damage type, that's why there is some silence in between as I spawn new ones after they die.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

So with the main audio feed-back stuff added that I wanted, so the player can at least tell what is going on in terms of blocks happening and critical strikes happening, i'm likely going to start doing some meticulous in-game testing to make sure that the formula and methods are working as expected and in the right order of operations and not throwing exceptions. Basically bug testing for the primary physical combat mechanics and fixing stuff as I find problems coming up. If I have anything of interest to update i'll post about it, but this bug testing part always take a while and is usually pretty uninteresting for anyone besides myself, lol.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Well, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the large majority of my physical combat overhaul code was less filled with bugs than I had first expected, i'm sure there will be things that will pop-up later on, but for right now it looks fairly solid in that regard. With that, I will likely start working on fine-tuning the damage values for both the player and enemies, as well as the general "balance" of enemies and such. This will take a lot of tweaking obviously, but code-wise this is probably the most simple part of the process honestly.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

daggerdude wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:08 pm So just a question, i'm assuming that
thrust attacks are stabs
overhead attacks are blunt
and the horizontal and diagonal are slashes

My question is do these attacks only do one type of damage, or do certain attacks combine damages, or do all the figures add up to a sum total minus the protections against it?
Currently it depends on the weapon. Each attack type used by a weapon only uses that one particular attack type for that one attack and gets increased or reduced through the formula based on the particular resistance/weaknesses of the target to that type of attack, as well as if they are using any armor.

I'm currently using "Down-Right" direction attacks as the sort of universal "bashing with the hilt of your weapon" and the down attacks are almost always the "primary" type of damage for that type of weapon with an increased damage mod, but a much decreased accuracy mod, just like in the vanilla game. And some weapons are not capable of dealing every type of damage, such as bows which currently only deal piercing, or the blunt weapons which can only deal blunt and piercing, but are fairly effective at both.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Now that I have done most of the tedious part of just getting all the enemy stat values to a place that I am a bit more happy with, or at least workable for more testing. I am going to start trying to figure out how i'm going to implement the "armor encumbrance" mechanic that I would like to use so armor actually has a trade-off to wearing, similar to how some of the later Elder Scrolls games tried to do this, but hopefully better. With this, making it so putting on and taking off armor actually takes some in-game time instead of being instant, and with this making it not possible to change your armor around while in combat/when enemies are nearby, to making wearing armor a choice instead of 100% always the best option. Obviously these down-sides will be influenced in many ways by the attributes of your character, such as strength, endurance, speed, etc.

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Changing the armor taking time is definitely a good idea, just hope it won't be too clunky in the game, but I would love to see it realized. Also agree that it shouldn't always be the best option, though, it should still defend really well that you'll want to be armored in most combat situations, like in real world. Some obvious disadvantages to using armor could be faster Stamina depletion (which is quite significant in Daggerfall, as it requires you to rest to recover), and less effective sneaking.

It might also make your climbing slower if you are wearing heavy armor, and the disposition of regular people might be lower, if you're walking around town in armor (especially if you have less than stellar reputation).

Finally, I would also consider some armor disadvantages to magic users (or advantages for not wearing any), so that they are more likely to walk around without any armor. This was the case in both Morrowind and Oblivion.

On the other hand, I also hope that some of the armor types could offer magic/elemental resistances, but I think you've already mentioned something like this.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Yes, increased stamina depletion was also on the list, but all these disadvantages are there because armor is going to be pretty powerful to have on, so hopefully that works out well. Also the speed "debuff" for wearing extremely heavy and overall protective armor such as Orcish is not going to just drain the speed stat of the player, but instead actually reduce the movement speed of the player directly, which will hopefully have more of an effect than just draining the speed stat and hoping it actually makes you feel slower as desired.

Also yes, I do have the numeric foundation in place for magic type resistances, but as well as weaknesses for wearing certain armor, but I have not done any of the coding yet involving magic damage since spell effects are much more complicated due to how they are made than the physical combat, so i'll get to that stuff afterward.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Well, luckily it was very simple to get some of the armor features implemented, in this case not being allowed to equip or unequip body armor while enemies are nearby (same as not being able to rest). As well as the time spent equipping and unequipping body armor, which takes a minimum of one minute and a maximum of six minutes based on the characters current speed and agility, unequipping takes half the time and does not drain stamina btw. As well as a small stamina drain when equipping body armor 1-5 based on endurance. This only applies when in the normal inventory screen, not while shopping.

Thankfully this was very easy due to how those who wrote the original methods made them very linear and simple to understand. So now I have to do the more complicated part where I actually take the sum of all body armor/equipment currently being worn and doing some math magic to make that "encumber" the player accordingly as previous posts mention.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

This is interesting as it will make having multiple weapon skills worthwhile. If im not mistaken, weapon choice is a preference for the most part. but this makes it so switching from blunt to blade at the right time would have a tactical benefit. ive been skimming a bit and bouncing around to different topics but it sounds like starting with blunt to wreck armour then switching to blade to finish is a thing now?
im all for making the game mechanics worthwhile!