Idea: DREAMified skies

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
joshcamas

Re: Idea: DREAMified skies

Post by joshcamas »

Ralzar wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:14 pm Only problem was, those images are not supported for easy texture replacement. So it stopped there. I still have all those images ready to go though, if it ever becomes available for texture replacement.
Why is this the case? You can have custom images support texture replacement as long as you use the Daggerfall image loader

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

This is the discussion about it from back then.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3514

joshcamas

Post by joshcamas »

Oh, I thought you meant custom skies in general, not replacing the existing textures. Regardless, I did not realize these sky textures are not moddable - I'll take a look, it should be relatively easy to implement?

Rambles as I developed this:
Spoiler!

EDIT: Ahh I see, sky files are their own format. I guess the modded files should act differently from the original format, since the sky system itself just cares about arrays of colors.

How should I load the sky images? I could make it so each individual sky is loaded in a file as so:
SKY00.DAT_0-0.PNG
SKY00.DAT_0-1.PNG

Or maybe

SKY00_0-0.DAT.PNG
SKY00_0-1.DAT.PNG

This is because each sky type (there are 32) has a total of 64 images associated (32 images per east, 32 images per west). Since Daggerfall Imaging likes to export images individually, I figure it would be easiest to roll with that.

I've also added support for custom sky image sizes.

Here's an example of the implementation ~ I just made the sky texture green and threw it in and boom:

I was thinking implementing the stars would make sense for custom images, but now that I think about it, idk why there would be a reason to do so. So for now I'm skipping on having stars - if you want stars, have them in the night images themselves. This seems reasonable, especially since I will be adding an option to load east and west images separately, unlike vanilla. This will allow for manual addition of stars and moons and whatever else you want! :D Thus, these are the possibilities in mind:

1) NITE{0:00}I0.IMG --> This will act identically to the vanilla daggerfall, with a total of 4 night types being supported, and stars automatically being added. No stars!

2) NITE{0:00}I0-0.IMG / NITE{0:00}I0-1.IMG --> This will act identically to the vanilla daggerfall, with a total of 4 night types being supported, and stars automatically being added. HOWEVER: East and West will be supported by the final index. No stars!

3) NITEFULL{0:00}I0.IMG --> This will act more like the daytime skies, with a total of 32 night sky types being supported. No stars!

2) NITEFULL{0:00}I0-0.IMG / NITEFULL{0:00}I0-1.IMG --> This will act more like the daytime skies, with a total of 32 night sky types being supported, and east and west being supported by last index. No stars!

Adding support for cubemap stars... now that would be cool ;) Maybe someday xD For now I may skip on stars for custom skies altogether, we'll see. That would be reasonable if we transformed the current sky renderer into a shader, which would be more performant (and moddable!) anyways.

I've also decided to skip on the "night sky seam fixer", since it's up to the artist to make the seams go away, I would say - this is especially because I've added support for two night images instead of just one.
And it's ready! It supports daytime and nightime skies, as well as options for east+west variants for nighttime and support for all 32 nights as opposed to the 4 in vanilla, if you're absolutely crazy.

Here's the PR for this feature: https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... /pull/1969

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Mate Im completely lost on how to use it :D
But its a thing I will maybe do in a future, not now, Im quite burdened already.
Still, thanks a lot for taking your time to implement this and open the possibility to mod this system finally.
Also, maybe someone else will take a torch and jump on it (Im quite sure this sounds ridiculous to anyone who can speak english properly) instead of me, u never know :)

I guess the perspective distortion will be the same as in the past, right?
Last edited by King of Worms on Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joshcamas

Post by joshcamas »

Yes, it just allows the sky images to be swapped, so sadly it will still be the odd daggerfall sky look xD