General Questions Thread

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Regnier

General Questions Thread

Post by Regnier »

Hey i didnt see a thread like this so i figured id make it. (maybe there is one, if so nuke this thread)

This should be the place to come ask small questions that dont necessarily deserve a topic of their own.

For instance:

When leveling (spamming low level spell) does the skill increase keep going if i dont sleep? if i level a skill enough for it to go from 50 to 51 but i dont sleep and just keep leveling will the skill jump more that one point on next rest?

I was in a dungeon and i pacified a thief using etiquette. Why would a thief need etiquette? and what is an easy way to tell what faction a person is from?

Those are a few actual questions i have but i post them as a reference for others.

Thanks
Last edited by Regnier on Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

numidium3rd

Re: General Questions Thread

Post by numidium3rd »

Regnier wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:18 pm When leveling (spamming low level spell) does the skill increase keep going if i dont sleep? if i level a skill enough for it to go from 50 to 51 but i dont sleep and just keep leveling will the skill jump more that one point on next rest?
Skill levels can only go up by 1% at a time unlike later TES games. You need to rest/loiter/travel until a HUD message says your skill has increased before you can increase it again. (My understanding of this is at the general level so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Regnier wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:18 pm I was in a dungeon and i pacified a thief using etiquette. Why would a thief need etiquette?
Good question. Thieves are supposed to have Streetwise as their language skill so this may be a bug.

Regnier wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:18 pm and what is an easy way to tell what faction a person is from?
There really isn't one but you can assume most if not all people within a faction's building will be in that faction. If you're talking about human enemies then they don't really have factions per se. They'll always be hostile to you unless they're castle guards or you pacify them. Burglars, rogues, acrobats, thieves, assassins, and nightblades should all be pacified with streetwise only but, as mentioned before, there might be a bug affecting that. All other humans are pacified with etiquette.

pango

Post by pango »

numidium3rd wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:56 pm Skill levels can only go up by 1% at a time unlike later TES games. You need to rest/loiter/travel until a HUD message says your skill has increased before you can increase it again. (My understanding of this is at the general level so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)
Yes, you need some number of skill checks before a skill increase; If you wake up or exit fast travel at least 6 hours after new skill checks, the game will compare the number of pending skill checks with a threshold (that depends on how high was the skills advancement difficulty dagger, whether it's a primary, major etc. skill, primary being the easiest to improve, maybe other factors I'm forgetting), skills over their threshold will improved by 1% and number of pending skill checks be reset.
So there's indeed no point in spamming skill checks over some limit, you also need to rest (or fast travel).
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

pango wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:32 pm
numidium3rd wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:56 pm Skill levels can only go up by 1% at a time unlike later TES games. You need to rest/loiter/travel until a HUD message says your skill has increased before you can increase it again. (My understanding of this is at the general level so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)
Yes, you need some number of skill checks before a skill increase; If you wake up or exit fast travel at least 6 hours after new skill checks, the game will compare the number of pending skill checks with a threshold (that depends on how high was the skills advancement difficulty dagger, whether it's a primary, major etc. skill, primary being the easiest to improve, maybe other factors I'm forgetting), skills over their threshold will improved by 1% and number of pending skill checks be reset.
So there's indeed no point in spamming skill checks over some limit, you also need to rest (or fast travel).
Holy crap good to know. It resets the checks on level up? Damn daggerfall

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

Does my horse running raise my running skill?

does vanilla travel choose fastest route? (do you have to hop on your horse to travel faster or does the game auto select fastest available mode?)

blinkz

Post by blinkz »

Regnier wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:02 pm does vanilla travel choose fastest route? (do you have to hop on your horse to travel faster or does the game auto select fastest available mode?)
If you have purchased a horse, and have selected the "foot/horse" option on the fast travel window, it will always choose horse.

I tested this by comparing my travel to a specific location. If I have a purchased horse in my inventory, and choose the "foot/horse option, the travel time was 3 days. When I went to a general store and sold my horse and then tried and fast travel again to the same location, it was instead 5 days of travel time.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

blinkz wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:57 am
Regnier wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:02 pm does vanilla travel choose fastest route? (do you have to hop on your horse to travel faster or does the game auto select fastest available mode?)
If you have purchased a horse, and have selected the "foot/horse" option on the fast travel window, it will always choose horse.

I tested this by comparing my travel to a specific location. If I have a purchased horse in my inventory, and choose the "foot/horse option, the travel time was 3 days. When I went to a general store and sold my horse and then tried and fast travel again to the same location, it was instead 5 days of travel time.
Thank you. Thats convenient

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

How does the reflex speed setting really affect gameplay?

one thing i noticed is how the monsters are on your ass when running and theres usually no time to lock a door, for instance.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

I remember hearing something about not waiting with main quest missions?

Is it true that you can talk to brisienna and then wait as long as you want but once you start the main missions you can wait around?

i did a mission for aubk-i and then got a letter from her, does that act as a request that i must respond to?

imsobadatnicknames

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

Regnier wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:05 pm I remember hearing something about not waiting with main quest missions?

Is it true that you can talk to brisienna and then wait as long as you want but once you start the main missions you can wait around?

i did a mission for aubk-i and then got a letter from her, does that act as a request that i must respond to?
If you get a letter from Abuk-i, Morgiah, Prince Lhotun, etc, you can wait for as long as you want before you go talk to them. Once you go talk to them, the timer for that quest starts running. E.g. Once you get the letter from Morgiah you can spend as many years as you want doing random shit before going to talk to her and it won't make you fail the quest, but as soon as you talk to her you'll have 30 days to go to Scourg Barrow and finish her quest or otherwise you'll fail it.

The only person you have to go to talk to as soon as you get her letter is Lady Brisienna (althought in Classic Daggerfall you can completely ignore her and still complete the rest of the main quest, as failing to meet up with her doesn't actually lock you out of any main story quests. I'm not sure if it's the same way in DFU or if it was changed)
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0