-

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Lokkrin Zhataros

-

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

-
Last edited by Lokkrin Zhataros on Wed May 26, 2021 3:19 am, edited 4 times in total.

Interkarma

Re: Player Light Source vs Item Based Player Torch

Post by Interkarma »

Are you asking why the automatic player light is different to the item based light? Well, they are two different systems made by different people for different purposes. I would be more surprised if they weren't different. :D

More seriously though... The automatic light (aka "player torch") matches the small pool of light just barely visible around player in classic while in darkness. This only means dungeons and outside at night. This light is not enabled in interiors or outside during the day in classic either. The brightness and radius are reasonably closely matched to classic, but this can be subjective based on monitor, brightness settings, rendering mode, postprocessing - a whole bucket of things. But if anything, I'd say the automatic light in DFU is brighter than classic. The player has no control over the automatic light in either classic or DFU.

The item based light is an optional feature created by Hazelnut and unique to DFU. It replaces the automatic light with ability for player to use portable light sources like candles, torches, and lanterns, and keep them refilled with oil. It cleverly uses items that had no purpose in classic and adds a more survival-like layer to light management. Unlike the basic automatic light, the player has control over when this light is enabled or not.

I hope that helps! :)