Black Screen

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
MikeySIN

How to I post a bug report?

Post by MikeySIN »

I want to report an issue I'm having but in the forum for bug reports, there is no option to make a post. I understand this isn't really the place to post this but that's exactly my issue, I CAN'T post where I need to be posting

MikeySIN

Black Screen Bug

Post by MikeySIN »

I couldn't post this in the bugs forum for some reason but here is the issue.

I can load my game. But if I need to reload my save (From dying or any other reason) my screen fills with black except for my mini map and my status bars. I am aware this was allegedly fixed, however I am using the newest build and my saves folders are empty so I can't delete the conversation.txt (I know I totally botched the name of that file but I searched the file up correctly from how it was spelled in the forum) Am I looking in the wrong area for my saves? Please help me.

EDIT: I found the proper saves folders and I have deleted the conversationdata.txt files from my most recent saves (Was told to do this in the solution of the other forum) issue is not fixed, still happening.

RE EDIT:
Okay so the bug still hasn't been fixed, but I have found that it only happens inside Shedungent. (Or maybe any dungeon, Shedungent just happens to be my current dungeon)

Interkarma

Re: Black Screen Bug

Post by Interkarma »

Hey, welcome to the forums! :)

The Bug Reports forum is curated for confirmed bugs with enough specific information to reproduce. It's not for general support. Please see the sticky topic in Bug Reports which answers your initial question.

The place to ask for help is the Help & Support forum. I'll combine your topics together into Help & Support.

To try and help with your issue - a black screen usually means your game data isn't compatible, there's a bad setting, mod problem, or some other local issue. This is rarely caused by a bug in Daggerfall Unity itself. To start with, please setup game cleanly using the recommended DaggerfallGameFiles method. This puts us on the same page for support purposes.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2360&p=27538#p27538

To summarise:
  1. Unzip DaggerfallGameFiles somewhere like C:\Games\Daggerfall
  2. Unzip Daggerfall Unity somewhere else like C:\Games\Daggerfall Unity\0.11.0 (match version used)
  3. Delete settings.ini from your persistent data path. See here to find settings.ini on your platform. Then run DFU again and point to game data location in step 1.
Because you're likely using incompatible game data or have a bad setting, don't skip step 3. Also, please don't install any mods at all until you've confirmed base game is working first.

Once you've setup game using method above, we can start troubleshooting further if problems continue. This would involve posting a zip of your save game so we can see what's happening. Good luck! :)

matbak00

Re: Black Screen

Post by matbak00 »

I have the exact same problem while loading a save game in a dungeon, in my case the Ruins of Copperhart Orchard. I installed the game yesterday, changed some settings and everything worked fine, but I did not restart the game. Today it showed a black screen when I tried reloading a save inside a dungeon, but the first load from the main menu worked fine. Removing ConversationData.txt worked for me, as did removing settings.ini. I have no mods installed.

EDIT: I did some more investigation and I found out that this problem only occurs for me when I activate Alternate Music in the advanced settings of Daggerfall Unity. When I deactivate this setting the game works correctly again, without removing ConversationData.txt or settings.ini.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for additional info. Even if not the cause of OP's issue, this sounds like a bug with that new setting.

pango

Post by pango »

matbak00 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:45 pm I have the exact same problem while loading a save game in a dungeon, in my case the Ruins of Copperhart Orchard. [...]
EDIT: I did some more investigation and I found out that this problem only occurs for me when I activate Alternate Music in the advanced settings of Daggerfall Unity. When I deactivate this setting the game works correctly again, without removing ConversationData.txt or settings.ini.
Thanks a lot for those details!

Music playing with standard setting: 28.mid
Music playing when entering with alternate music setting: 02fm.mid (I don't think it's a dungeon music? It's probably the music that was playing before entering)
Saving, reloading: black screen.

Code: Select all

IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.SongManager.SelectCurrentSong () [0x00214] in <b638ce21fab448cc8b6fa894f870c1c3>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.SongManager.PlayAnotherSong () [0x00000] in <b638ce21fab448cc8b6fa894f870c1c3>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.SongManager.UpdateSong (System.Boolean forceChange) [0x0006d] in <b638ce21fab448cc8b6fa894f870c1c3>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.SongManager.Update () [0x00000] in <b638ce21fab448cc8b6fa894f870c1c3>:0 
Attachments
SAVE875.zip
(294.85 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Player.log.gz
(15.12 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

I think I identified the issue, added a comment to the original PR:
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... -751346414
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

I submitted a PR
-- Charles Goodhart

GlitchGamingLR

Post by GlitchGamingLR »

Hey! I find a way to fix it.
1-Press "Windows" + "R"
2-and then write: %appdata%
3-Open "LocalLow" Folder
4-Delete the "Daggerfall Workshop"
(Important PS: this file is where it's located your "Save files", so make sure to make a backup or simply Copy it to Desktop)

pango

Post by pango »

Just deleting settings.ini, like Interkarma suggested, is most likely sufficient.
-- Charles Goodhart