[MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
l3lessed

Re: [MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Post by l3lessed »

Merry Christmas Eve everyone. I posted a new release last night with the new weapon properties system ready to go. Let me give a brief explanation of how this works. Pretty simple, but just to be safe, here are the directions.

MODIFYING CUSTOM WEAPON PROPERTIES
  • When installing the mod, you will find a WeaponProperties text file within the "streamingassets/mods/" folder, where the mod file is put.
  • When you open this file, you will find all the weapon properties listed by their weaponID as the first item in the comma list on each line.
  • From here start modifying the properties however you wish, and they will load on the fly anytime you equip a weapon. No need to relaunch the game. the text file is read dynamically on weapon equip once to ensure most up to date text file values are loaded into engine.
  • Once done, save the file, and load or alt tab to the game and play with your custom weapons now.
  • any dash symbol "-" put within the text line will mark that line as none usable comments and will ignore it. Use the "-" to add any custom comments about your changes, if you wish.
I added offhand limiting as a weapon property. You will now see a new value, and it will be labelled as Offhand Allowed. Read below for description of it.

CURRENT WEAPON PROPERTIES TEXT VALUES
  • Item/Weapon ID: This is used by the code to figure out which properties go to which weapon/item. I've already added the ids for all classic weapons. If you have any custom weapons from mods, you can add them using their itemtemplate id.
  • Reach: The attack range of the weapon. This is a raw float value, with classic defaulting to 2.25f for all weapons.
  • Unsheathed movement: How much the weapon slows you down when unsheathed in hand. This is a float value used to scale base values by percentage. use 1 for default 100% and change from there.
  • Attack movement: How much the weapon slows your during attacks. This is a float value used to scale base values by percentage. use 1 for default 100% and change from there.
  • Attack Speed: How fast or slow compared to classic speed the weapon attack is. This is a float value used to scale base values by percentage. use 1 for default 100% and change from there.
  • Offhand Allowed: Can this weapon be equipped in the offhand? This is a float value being turned into an int/bool switch. This needs to be 0 for No the weapon not being equippable in the offhand and 1 for yes, it can be equipped in the offhand.
Added above info to first post of thread too, in case you need to find it again easily.

Again, merry Christmas everyone and happy holidays. Hope you enjoy the release, and please go crazy with the weapon properties and post you favorite setups for me and other users. Again, I'll compile the most used and build them into my public release as ready to go presets for players.
Last edited by l3lessed on Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Love the ideas dagger dude.

Agreed about sneaking with larger and smaller weapons. This should matter for sound/detection, on top of slowing your sneak down. Yes, this could be done.

As for movement modifiers based on weight, I was going to go with that; it was in my stand alone alpha. However, that would hardcode into the mod and make it harder for players to customize to their needs. So, I decided to put it into the weapon properties file and allow players to decide how slow or fast they thing they should go with a weapon pulled out and attacking. I want sheathed state to always be the standard classic move speed, and then I will scale from there. However, again, set the weapon movement properties to whatever you want.

I personally hate chance based blocking and mechanics in general. That is why I don't use a dice based system like oblivion for the shield. However, I thought about adding this as an option at some point.

Also, I could add custom skills via a separate skill tree and gui interface for managing it. I planned on it at some point for the shield anyways, as I want players to have to choose to dump points into shield technique to be better at it. I also had ideas about adding in some basic type of perks too, like Skyrims system. However, these are thoughts for after release when I have all basic mechanics and features in I want, it released, patched, and stable for everyone.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Sorry, forgot to push it last night. It is up now.

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

l3lessed wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:32 pm
I personally hate chance based blocking and mechanics in general. That is why I don't use a dice based system like oblivion for the shield. However, I thought about adding this as an option at some point.
So just to be clear, "chanced based", as in Armor class pass/fail systems, morrowind offers a skill that passes or fails.

Skyrim and Oblivion offers a skill that always works but reduces damage partially instead.

So all that being said, from an RP standpoint I would say shields should be more efficient than weapons, and weapons (like historical martial arts suggests) were used to party and riposte more than block due to the blades or haft of weapons being more likely to be damaged.

I can understand a desire to make a block work 100 percent, but in real life blocking a warhammer with a dagger will get you killed, or a flail with a sword, ext.

I'm no expert, but I have "art of sword combat" by joachim meyer translated by jeffrey forgeng and "knightly art of the longsword" by sigmund ringeck translated by david lindholm and peter svard and I'm familiar with the german school of sword combat, which emphasises preemptive strikes (meisterhau) and ripostes rather than blocking, and many thing with many different weapons other than longswords, such as daggers, halberds, and cutlasses

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I agree pretty much all around. One thing, when I say block, I only am speaking of shields. I didn't know oblivion didn't have chance based blocking. I was under the impression it didn't block 100% of the time, and you had no control over it raising/blocking. Either way, I don't like mechanics that doesn't allow player control of when a block is active or not.

As for weapon blocking/parrying, I get you, but now we run into the problem of lacking enough visual information for players to easily know what attacks and weapons the enemies are using. Realism is great, but not at the cost of playability.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

How does this mod treat two handed weapons ?
I am using the rp realism mod + rp realism items, the second one adds archers axe which is a one handed axe (at least it was last ver).
Now this still works with the build I was playing (Alpha) with the old version of this mod you had patched up for me to get working..
But this new one with the latest (Beta): if you have the axe equipped the other hand weapon doesn't show up so it looks like it thinks it's a two handed weapon because when I take the axe off with just a dagger or whatever the fist shows up so it's working, just seems like it needs a work around, unless that mod switched the axe to a 2h weapon, or you changed some stuff with how it works with 2h weapons....

So it's either treating all axes like 2h weapons or maybe it's because it's from the other mod, give me some ideas and I'll test some stuff before I go nuts buying stuff, or if it's because of enchantment, I don't know but it worked before, I can still play it on that game BUUUUUT the new animations are too sweet, and how dodge looks now (how come nobodies wigging out on this thing, IT'S AMAZING), so yeah I wanna figure out why it wont work right in my game, if I gotta start a new one fine, I just want my archers axe and my dagger...
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

I think I know what it is...it's all the modded weapons added in from rp realism items and you have to put this one after rp realism but before rp realism items..
Stuff from vanilla seems to work fine but everything added from that mod seens to break something, after hitting stuff you start to swing wildly and it looks like you have more that one weapon in one hand, also if you have a bow equipped but put away the shooting sound plays when you press the attack key, you don't actually shoot anything but the sound plays..

Another thing I noticed is when you press the jump key you draw your weapons, and also walking around in the shops sometimes they just pup out, I think it's this mod doing something but I don't know I guess I'll start a new game and see what happens, some of the other mods got updated too so maybe it's just too much stuff, I'll let you know when I get around to it unless you know already or have a workaround to try..

Okay, I fixed the jump key thing, this goes in-between realism and items, items being on-top realism on bottom(have no idea what the frick it was but that fixed it), still having problems with the axe, and the draw and release functionality from the adv control options isn't working, so might wana check that out (if you hold your mouse you can aim as opposed to just shooting), I'm starting a new game to test some stuff, so I'll let you know peace man, hope you didn't get fat on Christmas, I am :D

Okay after testing it out some more it looks like its the dodge mod...when I move it around in the load order some stuff fixes but other stuff messes up, and it's all related to your weapons popping out, also you can still hit stuff with your weapons put away: you hear the sound and you do hit stuff but your weapons aren't there..

I'll test it out some more, hopefully I can survive long enough to get to an shop so I can test some weapons :D ..
Check out my YouTube Channel!

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks as always for the testing. I didn't experiment with tons of custom mod items. It sounds like an issue with weapons that have no id in the text file not defaulting to proper property values.

When I have some time I'll look into it in the next week. Been busier recently.

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

So I went to test this and i enabled the mod, but it didn't seem to change anything. Is there anything specific i have to do besides that? no other mods on or anything.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

What do you mean nothing changed? As in from the base game? or the weapon speeds and stats didn't change?