Should the gauntlets equip-table bug be fixed or recreated?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Magicono43

Should the gauntlets equip-table bug be fixed or recreated?

Post by Magicono43 »

I was working with the code that assigns and equips generated equipment items to enemies that can use equipment. While doing this I noticed something that explained a lot of confusion that others have had about why gauntlet armor is so hard to come by and seems so rare.

The reason being that gauntlet armor is omitted from the generation for items that get equipped to enemies. The thing is, I know this is not a bug/mistake on Daggerfall Unity's part, but is instead a conscious recreation or an attempt at recreating this behavior from the original DOS game.

Now the point of this post, should this behavior that was clearly a mistake/bug from the original DOS game, of which there are numerous instances of, such as exploits such as immunity to paralysis and critical weakness to paralysis, which have been fixed in Daggerfall Unity. Should this clearly not intended behavior from the original game be recreated in Daggerfall Unity in this instance? I personally don't think it should be, since it seems somewhat arbitrary to just have gauntlet armor be more rare for this reason. While glove armor is more valuable overall with how the struckbodypart roll works and having hands be the most likely spot to be hit by like 5% or whatever, but I still doubt this was the original intention for balance of some kind.

Anyway, that's just my opinion about this thing I found while going through the code and wanted to see what other people on here felt about this idea. Sorry that this post reads so terribly for whatever reason, I swear English is my first language, lol.

Orbarth

Re: Should the gauntlets equip-table bug be fixed or recreated?

Post by Orbarth »

Maybe this could be optional, i mean in the DFU menu at Advanced -> Enhancements you have options like the Magic Item Repair (that was removed then changed into the "magicrepair 1" cheat in the Z.cfg in the later original Daggerfall patches), so maybe a "Gauntlet armor loot" option could be added in there too ?

Baler

Post by Baler »

set it and leave it for modders to change. :)

Lokkrin Zhataros

-

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

-
Last edited by Lokkrin Zhataros on Wed May 26, 2021 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

For the record, I'm more than happy for loot tables to be adjusted to include gauntlets in enemy loot. I remember variants of this conversation coming up a few times over the years and it does appear to be an oversight in classic.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Yeah, I only mentioned just because I was working on this part of the code-base and found it strange to have omitted. This particular omission is in the "ItemHelper.cs" script btw, inside the "AssignEnemyStartingEquipment" method.

This fact is not a big deal to myself personally, just one of those things I found strange that was clearly not an "intended" behavior from the original DOS version, but obviously went through to release like many of the bugs we know and love from DOS, lol.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Im for the fixing of DOS version issues.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Yeah, this seem like the kind of thing where it's barely noticable from vanilla but just leads to a better gameplay experience.

Baler

Post by Baler »

Lokkrin Zhataros wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:13 amCan you imagine an option or mod called “Make gauntlets less rare” ? ...yeah me neither :D
That's not a healthy way to view the mod community.

Allowing the community to fix the game is an elder scrolls tradition.

Lokkrin Zhataros

-

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

-
Last edited by Lokkrin Zhataros on Wed May 26, 2021 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.