The spellbook doesn't work

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Interkarma

Re: The spellbook doesn't work

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for info. The Bethesda version isn't patched to .213, this is something you need to do manually in DOS command line after install. Can you recall if you did this? If game left unpatched, that's most likely the cause of bad spell data.

Recommend using DaggerfallSetup or DaggerfallGameFiles versions for DFU. The Bethesda download is easily the worst version of the game out there.

pango

Post by pango »

Interkarma wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:03 pm The Bethesda version isn't patched to .213
This is getting off topic, but this is so lazy from them, seriously. Sure, releasing a game for free, they probably didn't want to spend too much on that.
But being so careless, that almost require some extra effort. Even in 2009, .213 was the last stable release for a long time...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

PavkataBrat

Post by PavkataBrat »

I remember applying some patch in dos, since I was following an installation guide and it had the patch as a step, but is there a way to check if I did so correctly?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

PavkataBrat wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:02 pm I remember applying some patch in dos, since I was following an installation guide and it had the patch as a step, but is there a way to check if I did so correctly?
It's a LOT easier to just install the fixed version from UESP.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

PavkataBrat wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:02 pm I remember applying some patch in dos, since I was following an installation guide and it had the patch as a step, but is there a way to check if I did so correctly?
Sounds like you've patched then, so I might need another theory. But if you'd like to check for me, the version number is output when closing the game. If you start DosBox then run the game manually using "fall.exe z.cfg" and exit again, you'll see a line like below. That confirms patch level to minimum required for DFU.

Code: Select all

TES: Daggerfall v1.07.213.
It's still worth moving to DaggerfallSetup and default fixes though. It patches a lot of small problems with game data. The DaggerfallGameFiles zip download on Live Builds page is also a good clean set of files with high compatibility.

Thanks for getting back to me earlier. :)

Slycer

Post by Slycer »

I have the same exact issue.
it's all up to date and whit out any mod i'm still unable to use spellbook.
If i remove the entry for all spell in save game the spell book ui seem to work but then i have no spell.
removing only one or the other dont work i need to remove all of then.
here a save file but mod are on in this on i can make a other one tomorrow whit out mod if need be.

thank a lot and all the best to you.

Sylvain
Attachments
SAVE1.zip
(631.76 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey Slycer :)

I'm able to load your save into 0.11.0 - spellbook and the 3 spells you have all work fine so far as I can see.

spellbook.JPG
spellbook.JPG (197.09 KiB) Viewed 1089 times

What is your source of game data? Are you using the recommended DaggerfallGameFiles method or some other source?

As a side note, you do have many Toxic Cloud spells attached to your character. These clear up in about 10 seconds or so after loading save. Not sure how that happened. :?

Slycer

Post by Slycer »

That's really bizzard.
I have use the daggerfallgamefile method using only link on this site. I have install the game two days ago.
Mb my download got corupt.
I have only a arena2 folder whit a 1251 file in it and 6 save folder label from 0 to 5 if im correct. Should i have more folder?
Has for the toxic cloud spell. It's from a attack from monster. I had to quit a reload has the spell seem to span indefenitly. A bug i presume. Might be link. I'll try to troubleshoot more today. But i'm a bit at a lost.

Thank for the quick reply and great job anyhow.

Slycer

Post by Slycer »

I have double check and there's actually 1591 file in the arena 2 folder. Sorry for the confusion.
Here a picture of the daggerfallgamefile folder i have use.

i do notice that in your instalation picture there is a data, PICS and docs folder that are missing in mine. :idea:
i will try using daggerfall setup.
keep you posted.

thanks and all the best
Sylvain.
Attachments
daggerfallgamefile
daggerfallgamefile
Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 11.24.28.png (41.24 KiB) Viewed 1060 times

Slycer

Post by Slycer »

So i have try whit daggerfall setup and it's still the same, spellbook open but i cant use the UI only the "e" on keyboard for exit and the "s" for sort work.
I do now have all the folder like in your picture for installation, but there only 1480 file in arena 2 folder. there 9 file in data folder, 28 in docs. here a screen sot of the rest and a new save file whit a test mage character whit out any mod running.

Just for the record i'm using window 10 1903 os build 18362.295 on a bootcamp partition whit a egpu gtx 1060 6 g. But everything work fine, like tracpad and all the driver are up to date exept the window 10 version has this one is the most stable whit the egpu....

thank a lot and have a good day.
Sylvain
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 13.48.06.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 13.48.06.png (361.05 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
SAVE0.zip
(191 KiB) Downloaded 84 times