What games would you like to see get the DFU treatment?

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
XJDHDR

Re: What games would you like to see get the DFU treatment?

Post by XJDHDR »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:06 pm I did manage to get Pharaoh in windowed mode using DxWnd but it was awkward to say the least.
You don't need DxWnd to do that. All I did was use the "window" option in Pharaoh's display options menu.
That said, I am using the widescreen patches that I have archived here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xjdhdr-random-code/files/Game_related_files/City_Building_Strategy_Games_Series_files/
Also, you need to run the game with 16-bit colours for it to work properly in a window. If you're running Win8 or later, you can just activate this option under the EXE's compatibility settings.

It would be very nice to see Pharaoh, Zeus and Emperor get a new engine though. Probably the best way would be by forking Augustus and adding the required mechanics. The Julius dev did say that around 1/3 of the game's code is walker mechanics and that there are many differences between even C3 and Pharaoh, let alone the later games.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Ralzar wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:33 pm Betrayal At Krondor taught me to read english books and led me into the Reymond E Feists book series.

I’ve often wanted to try replaying it now that I actually know how to play rpgs and read english properly.
The developer of Betrayal did a small demo of an updated version but did not wish to step on Feist's toes I ran into Fiest at a convention some years back.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

13thsyndicate

Post by 13thsyndicate »

Blue Byte Studios' Albion. It's a sprite-based/3D hybrid RPG from the same era as Daggerfall, and IDEK if it needs any updating, but I'd love to see it get some love and maybe modernization in order to get it in front of peoples' eyes again. I know nobody else who's played it that hasn't done so because I told them they should. I'd also like to see some more love for the OpenApoc project, for modernizing, rebuilding, and adding back features lost in development for X-COM: Apocalypse after the success of the OpenXCOM project.

willkydd

Post by willkydd »

Darklands. This is the only correct answer. :lol:

Orbarth

Post by Orbarth »

+/- 10 years ago there was a guy that had started working on a Darklands remake.
Unfortunately it was abandonned with time.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=68919.0

Recently learned that Darklands creator, Arnold Hendrick, passed away last year, i pray he is at peace in Heaven.
I hope some people will be able one day to make the DFU treatment to Darklands, such a masterpiece it was.

Shalval

Post by Shalval »

Not too far from the nest but I would say Battlespire and Redguard. The former in particular because I am a sucker for first person dungeon crawling and I want that mix-up between Dark Elf and High Elf modifiers to be fixed :P

I think about them because we might as well preserve the time when TES lore hit its stride with these games, the PGE1 and Morrowind. They are not exactly the most beloved games so it's probably never going to happen.

But as far as I know, Julian Le Fay retrieved the source code for Battlespire somewhat recently. So maybe if there was a way to convince Bethesda to release it, it would get the Doom treatment instead of the DFU treatment.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

XJDHDR wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:14 pm Also, you need to run the game with 16-bit colours for it to work properly in a window. If you're running Win8 or later, you can just activate this option under the EXE's compatibility settings.

It would be very nice to see Pharaoh, Zeus and Emperor get a new engine though. Probably the best way would be by forking Augustus and adding the required mechanics. The Julius dev did say that around 1/3 of the game's code is walker mechanics and that there are many differences between even C3 and Pharaoh, let alone the later games.
I somehow missed this but I'm still running Windows 7 and didn't feel like switching to 16-bit colour mode every time I wanted to play the game, DxWnd let me do what you described for Windows 8, force the window to 16-bit colour mode. Took some trial and error to find the correct settings but I got there in the end.

I read through the issue discussion, I think this game series would benefit from a modular framework where you can swap out whatever logic needs to be changed but that's a massive undertaking.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Thane5

Post by Thane5 »

With the help of a few people i'm currently trying to port Redguard to unity. There are a bunch of hurdles (like the fact that i'm not a programmer :? ), but the biggest is probably that it doesn't have a very big fanbase. I was actually planning to show some work in progress content here in this forum for people who might be interested in helping out with the project, what do you think?
Last edited by Thane5 on Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shalval

Post by Shalval »

Thane5 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:06 pm With the help of a few people i'm currently trying to port Redguard to unity. There are a bunch of hurdles (like the fact that i'm not a programmer :? ), but the biggest is probably that it doesn't have a very big fanbase. I was actually planning to show some work in progress content here in this forum for people who might be interesting in helping out with the project, what do you think?
I actually found out yesterday! I have experience coding for Unity but that was nearly 10 years ago. I would gladly help if you give me a little bit of time until I have given the original game a revisit, provided I derust on my C# and Unity.

XJDHDR

Post by XJDHDR »

Where can we find Redguard for Unity?