Increased Move Speed for Some Enemies

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
someguy2171

Increased Move Speed for Some Enemies

Post by someguy2171 »

Once you get your horse the wilderness encounter systems become somewhat redundant simply because you can quickly outrun anything and continue on your trip. I'd like to see implementations to force horse riding players to have to confront enemies.

The simplest idea I have for this would be to increase move speed, if some enemies can keep up with your horse this would force a confrontation. At this point I'm suggesting centaurs, seeing as they are practically horses anyway and saber cats. A custom horseback cavalier enemy would be pretty awesome too if possible.

Another idea might be to have a horse spooking mechanic. If you are mounted on a horse and x amount of enemies are within x radius of the player then there is x probability that the horse will spook, forcing a dismount and starting a cooldown period before you are able to ride again.

Another idea may be horse stamina perhaps?

I've had a look at modding myself and I'd be WAY out of my depth, so I'm just going to leave this idea here.

Ralzar

Re: Increased Move Speed for Some Enemies

Post by Ralzar »

This is something I could implement in Realistic Wagon. I've already been thinking about stuff like horse and wagon wear and tear. And I agree, the horse (or high Speed for that matter) makes wilderness encounters kinda pointless.

Modding the movement speed of enemies I suspect is difficult. I haven't looked too much into it but I think it's pretty much hard coded as a default level for all enemies no matter type. Which is unforunate because in addition to speeding some foes up, it would be cool to slow some of them down. Like zombies for example.

someguy2171

Post by someguy2171 »

I've been playing with realistic wagon, which is awesome by the way. I can see the spook mechanic might be workable. You seem to already know how to trigger the player to dismount and mount as well as spawning the horse on the player's position. If you could get the horse to spawn in a random position within a certain distance, that would work for the after effect. When the player runs around looking for their horse that will give them plenty of time to get killed. The other main part is the trigger for the spooking, is it possible to do a distance check for any enemy type objects? Worst case it could triggered in the same way as a random quest encounter?

Just a few amateurish thoughts from someone who can't work the code. Maybe it could help.

Ah I'm just now noticing that you are the designer of climates and calories, amazing work! On the same line of thought as the travel difficulty, it would increase the challenge if it were not possible to pack up the camp with enemies around, that way if you are under attack you have to weigh up whether you can fight back or if you will be forced to abandon the camping gear. I can do this personally without you having to alter the code, I can just attempt to fast travel or rest to check if enemies are around before I allow myself to pack up the tent, but I thought you might appreciate the idea.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Hm, that’s a good idea. I recently added a check that stops you from setting up camp with enemies nearby. I can just do that in reverse.