[0.11.0] All dungeon mobs replaced with Centaurs

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
13thsyndicate

[0.11.0] All dungeon mobs replaced with Centaurs

Post by 13thsyndicate »

So this is a weird one.

One of the dungeons I unlocked in a save file has this strange problem where all the enemies are centaurs. Now, I encountered this in my last game after updating to 0.10.26, but I had updated incorrectly and after deleting all files and updating properly the enemies turned out to be quite mundane, very different enemies (for example, three centaurs that rushed out of a door at me were replaced by two rats and a bat or something like that).

Anyway I've recently updated to 0.11.0 and got the map to that location from the Fighter's Guild after a quest and travelled there and..... everything is centaurs again. I've systematically disabled all mods, reinstalled DFU, installed new game data from DaggerfallGameFiles.zip, and removed my configs folder from AppData/Locallow and sure enough, the enemies are still centaurs.

I'm attaching a test save where I spawned a new character in a clean environment, used the map_reveallocations console command to reveal the dungeon, and fast traveled to it as a brand new, level 1 character (which should be too low a level to spawn centaurs in any dungeon I believe?).

The only setting I have changed in this save is that I did not start in Privateer's Hold.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Load my save as TESTY BOI the Argonian Knight
2. Find the dungeon entrance (it's in a small hill to your right)
3. Enter dungeon
4. EITHER:
-4a. Get mobbed by three centaurs opening the door in front of you
-4b. The centaurs don't see you, so open the door in front of you and get mobbed by the three centaurs on the other side
Attachments
SAVE0.zip
(269.23 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

Interkarma

Re: [0.11.0] All dungeon mobs replaced with Centaurs

Post by Interkarma »

Hey there. :)

There are definitely more than centaurs in that dungeon. Use "killall" from console to see a quick list. It also has a good number of scorpions, rats, and werewolves.

Daggerfall has two kinds of enemies - fixed and random. Fixed enemies will always appear in that spot regardless of level. Random enemies will be generated based on factors such as dungeon type, seed values, and character level. This is deterministic and uses the same encounter tables and formulas as classic.

This dungeon is a Dragon's Den, which has the following encounter table. Lower level enemies appear at the beginning of list, higher level enemies near the end. Centaurs are an expected enemy type to discover at level 1 in this type of dungeon (and others).

Code: Select all

Rat
GiantBat
Centaur
Burglar
GiantScorpion
Werewolf
Knight
Harpy
Spider
Gargoyle
Sorcerer
Nymph
Nightblade
Mage
Knight
Vampire
Battlemage
Thief
AncientLich
DaedraLord
Sometimes Daggerfall just be like that. :)

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

You rolled a centaur yahtzee :D

13thsyndicate

Post by 13thsyndicate »

Would it be normal to roll that encounter 4 or more plus times in a row from different saves in different environments, or am I just an unlucky b**ch? xD

pango

Post by pango »

In the context of your save (entering a Dragon's Den at level 1), assuming the classic enemies selection algorithm, the random slots of the dungeon will be filled with
  • 19.58% Rats
  • 19.58% Giant Bats
  • 19.58% Centaurs
  • 14.58% Burglars
  • 13.33% Giant Scorpions
  • 13.33% Werewolves
Assuming the room uses 3 times the same slot (seems very likely, given you've never seen a mixed set of enemies there), you have just slightly less than a 1:5 chance.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

13thsyndicate

Post by 13thsyndicate »

I have actually seen both rats and bats in the same room, but you're right, it's probably a higher chance than I thought. Thank you, Pango.