Anyone Using "DaggerfallGameFiles.zip" Game Data Have Bugged Books?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Magicono43

Anyone Using "DaggerfallGameFiles.zip" Game Data Have Bugged Books?

Post by Magicono43 »

So i'm pretty sure i'm using the link from the live-builds page with this "DaggerfallGameFiles.zip" game data, that I started using due to having bugged clothing game data from the original Bethesda link from a while back. However, after doing some non-related testing/data gathering of the books in-game, I noticed a few books had some seemingly none functional data, or maybe the headers or something in the base files are screwed up or something.

Basically could anyone using this game data confirm if this is only on my end or not, just for curiosities sake. The two books in question are "Fools' Ebony, Part the Threeth" and "Banker's Bet". You can get both of these books by typing in the console "addbook 76" and "addbook 82".

When you use the "Info" action on either of them, does the author section or the part after "by" seem all messed up? Also if you actually "Use"/read the books are they completely empty and have no text in them? This is what occurred on my end, so curious if this is a game-data issue with that particular data package, or if it's just on my end, thanks.

Interkarma

Re: Anyone Using "DaggerfallGameFiles.zip" Game Data Have Bugged Books?

Post by Interkarma »

There's a bug report that seems related.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4314

Could be a few things happening here. These might be books with unusual bytecode in game files that doesn't parse correctly (i.e. a bug in DFU). Or it could be a regression caused by the pre-localization changes that bug on certain books (also a bug in DFU). Or they could just be buggy books, a lot of the classic books have broken formatting in one way or another.

On the positive side, books are slated to become part of localisation soon. This will allow all the formatting problems and other quirks to be fixed in base game, in addition to allowing for translations. I'll need to look at this and resolve it before baseline book text can be imported into asset tables.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Interkarma wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:15 am There's a bug report that seems related.

Could be a few things happening here. These might be books with unusual bytecode in game files that doesn't parse correctly (i.e. a bug in DFU). Or it could be a regression caused by the pre-localization changes that bug on certain books (also a bug in DFU). Or they could just be buggy books, a lot of the classic books have broken formatting in one way or another.

On the positive side, books are slated to become part of localisation soon. This will allow all the formatting problems and other quirks to be fixed in base game, in addition to allowing for translations. I'll need to look at this and resolve it before baseline book text can be imported into asset tables.
Yeah it is one of those weird things, I asked someone to test these same books on their side and apparently the books had text, but for the Ebony book the text formatting was sort of messed up. Glad to hear the localisation process will give more easily access to what is displayed in the game though, working with the game data is quite a bit more messy and confusing as i'm sure you know, lol.

Not a big deal obviously, just something to keep note of that some of the game-data might be screwed up for a few books, i'll be honestly I was surprised that I only seemed to have found in my short test that only two of the almost 100 vanilla books had some sort of obvious bug.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Interkarma wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:15 am There's a bug report that seems related.

Will this be backwards compatible? Or will you not know until you implement it? Just asking because I have a book in Archs guild mod that I may need to port if it's not. Mainly contains place names so no translation is really possible. :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Wherever possible, I've written localisation to fall back on classic data if key not present in string tables. Happy to do this for books when adding those.

Quests will also work this way, they'll fall back to the quest file text if no translation is found.

pango

Post by pango »

(by the way I should mention Readable Books that fixes a lot (if not all) of book formatting issues
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart