My Mod Wishlist

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
FrancoStrider

My Mod Wishlist

Post by FrancoStrider »

So, I've been playing a lot of Daggerfall Unity (even beat the main quest on it some months ago). I see a lot of potential in Daggerfall's systems and here's a small list of stuff I would like to see in mods:

1. Make the kingdoms, dungeons and people feel more distinct from each other.

Kingdoms - Their own monsters and brand of bandits and dungeons.

Dungeons - A problem Daggerfall has is that laboratories, fortresses, caves and whatnot all feel the same. More modules in general, but modules that really make, say, a fortress feel like a fortress. If a place is known for having orcs, than there should be details that really bring that out. Like, for instance, I would like caves to have modules that are JUST caves, without the constant overlap. Laboratories should be filled to the brim with magical traps, wizards, labs and whatnot.
People: Bit of a tall order, and there are definitely some mods that address this.

There's a same-y-ness that plagues Daggerfall's overall design. Bethesda was constrained, understandably, but I think it would serve it well to mix it up between areas.

2. Just to add; More dungeon modules.

3. More detailed animation

Especially in death animations, there's barely any to them. There's a "hurt" animation, but something is just flat on the floor when it dies.

4. More monsters

This is kind of inevitable, since this happens in literally every Elder Scrolls game. Still, figured I should mention it. Again, there should be monsters distinct to each kind of area (like, the jungles vs the desert at least).

5. Outdoor bandit/orc/etc. camps.

In general, there really should be more stuff in between the towns and dungeons. There is so much space that I would like to have more incentive to go places on foot, rather than fast traveling.

6. There are mods that have you being attacked out in the open, but it should be expanded:

One real joy I have since modding this version is fighting out in the open. Especially with a bow or magic, it also gives horseback fighting a lot more purpose. But the fights are against generic goons.

What if the kind of attackers depended on which factions you have chosen. Like, join one temple, and get attacked by another. Guards come after you if you join the Dark Brotherhood or Thieves Guild. Angering a Daedric Prince getting daedra on your tail. It would add more weight to your decisions and keep you on your toes.

7. Multiplayer.

Yes, this is a tall order of sprite work and online nonsense, but... Imagine everything I mentioned above with a party of your friends. Imagine how nuts that would be.

8. Morrowind (hear me out)

So, I really like Daggerfall's overall character building, combat and other mechanics, and I might even call it the best overall in the entire series. But I would like to see it used in a tighter, more fleshed out map. See, Morrowind, unlike Daggerfall, is a relatively small map that is filled to the brim with unique towns, architecture, dungeons and secrets. And I would like to see Daggerfall's systems in a tighter map.

If not Morrowind, I wouldn't mind an expansion that takes place in a smaller, more fleshed out world. Speaking of which:

9. A new major quest:

This is another flavor of expansion, but I wouldn't mind another big quest in Daggerfall. And I'm not against world saving quests either, so long as they're built up properly. Daggerfall's main quest just did not pay off for me. The main villain is very forgettable (if we're counting Woodborne as one), and there's a lot of undernourished parts that could have been better.

Or, in general, more quest lines. The guilds don't really have them. In fact, I had an idea: Have the random quests, but also have a clear NPC who handles the questline when you're a high enough rank. That way, you have a big Fighter's Guild adventure, but still have the more blue-collar tasks from the the usual quest giver.

Anyway, I hope this gives some of you some ideas. Again, Daggerfall Unity has a lot of potential and I would like to see it meet that potential. I'm not much of a modder (I've only really done tweaks), but I wouldn't mind giving this a go.

I've been having trouble finding the appropriate tools. If someone could point that to me, I would be much obliged.

Take care everyone and keep up the good work!

Kamer

Re: My Mod Wishlist

Post by Kamer »

FrancoStrider wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:14 pm 5. Outdoor bandit/orc/etc. camps.

In general, there really should be more stuff in between the towns and dungeons. There is so much space that I would like to have more incentive to go places on foot, rather than fast traveling.
I posted a demo of World of Daggerfall yesterday. Fell free to try it out.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

9. A new major quest:
R&R adds a significant quest for FG master level. Interested to know what you think of it.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

imsobadatnicknames

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

FrancoStrider wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:14 pm 6. There are mods that have you being attacked out in the open, but it should be expanded:

One real joy I have since modding this version is fighting out in the open. Especially with a bow or magic, it also gives horseback fighting a lot more purpose. But the fights are against generic goons.

What if the kind of attackers depended on which factions you have chosen. Like, join one temple, and get attacked by another. Guards come after you if you join the Dark Brotherhood or Thieves Guild. Angering a Daedric Prince getting daedra on your tail. It would add more weight to your decisions and keep you on your toes.
There's a mod i made that's somewhat related to this.(viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4347) It adds wilderness NPCs that you can attempt to rob, and robbing people might eventually end up with your character getting tracked down or attacked by bounty hunters or rival bandits. I eventually plan to expand it to add more variety of encoutners based on what guilds you belong to.
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0