Warm Ashes: Dangerous Dungeon Exteriors

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Kamer

Re: Warm Ashes: Dangerous Dungeon Exteriors

Post by Kamer »

Ralzar wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:38 am Yeah I've unfortunately pretty much softlocked my current character with this mod. With my full mod list and playing a low level character with weak combat abilities I just never get to camp and rest during travel. The campig equipment suppresses the normal enemy spawn function, but not Warm Ashes, so trying to sleep outside allways just ends with some kind of chaotic mass combat.
Thats the unfortunate thing about the quest version. I'll still be developing wilderness stuff, just without the Warm Ashes name.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Arclath wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:13 am Not sure if this is something that has been answered elsewhere, but thought I'd ask just in case.

Do you know if there are any incompatibilities with the Travel Options mod? I've noticed recently, when I travel and/or rest out in the wilds, when I get encounters, it's like 3-4 in a row, so it spawns spriggan and harpy ambushes, along with bandits and a priest of Kynareth for instance :P
Maybe accelerated time is causing multiple encounters? I'll look into it when I have more time. Might have to increase cooldown time.

Broseidon

Post by Broseidon »

Kamer wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:53 am
Arclath wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:13 am Not sure if this is something that has been answered elsewhere, but thought I'd ask just in case.

Do you know if there are any incompatibilities with the Travel Options mod? I've noticed recently, when I travel and/or rest out in the wilds, when I get encounters, it's like 3-4 in a row, so it spawns spriggan and harpy ambushes, along with bandits and a priest of Kynareth for instance :P
Maybe accelerated time is causing multiple encounters? I'll look into it when I have more time. Might have to increase cooldown time.
Aye, that was my theory as well. I tested it on various accelerations though, from 5 to 40, and they all gave the same result. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if it was in some way, shape, or form the root cause.

Thanks for the swift answer btw :)
God of the Brocean

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

It gets pretty wild at night :D
CampChaos.png
CampChaos.png (378.2 KiB) Viewed 1793 times

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Ralzar wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:58 pm It gets pretty wild at night :D

CampChaos.png
Could be seen as a feature. Having to find a location to sleep to avoid these encounters.

imsobadatnicknames

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

Afaik, time compression shouldn't be causing encounters to happen more often, as the timers used by quests scale uniformly with it. So if you walk to a different city using 10x or 20x or 50x time acceleration, you'd still end up having the same number of encounters from this questpack as if you simply walked there in real-time. At least that's my experience working with the quest system.

Maybe you accidentally set the cooldown timer too low for this new release? I'm also noticing the wilderness encounters are much more common now. You should probably increase it. Or maybe use the "Level x completed" quest condition to make sure some of the encounters don't happen if the player doesn't have a certain level, so low-level players don't get too overwhelmed with these encounters.
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

imsobadatnicknames wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:38 pm Afaik, time compression shouldn't be causing encounters to happen more often, as the timers used by quests scale uniformly with it. So if you walk to a different city using 10x or 20x or 50x time acceleration, you'd still end up having the same number of encounters from this questpack as if you simply walked there in real-time. At least that's my experience working with the quest system.

Maybe you accidentally set the cooldown timer too low for this new release? I'm also noticing the wilderness encounters are much more common now. You should probably increase it. Or maybe use the "Level x completed" quest condition to make sure some of the encounters don't happen if the player doesn't have a certain level, so low-level players don't get too overwhelmed with these encounters.
Nothing was changed cooldown wise. I'm wondering if maybe the travel system isn't detecting enemies until a few go off? I'll look into it when I get home.

Orbarth

Post by Orbarth »

I was thinking, could it be possible people encountering absurd amount of monsters has previously installed the old V4 version but forgot to remove the "warm ashes.dfmod" file from the ...\StreamingAssets\Mods\ folders before installing the new V3 ?
As the new V3 does not use anymore the dfmod file (as it's back in being quest files), it could mean they're actually running both old V4 and new V3 at the same time, resulting in vastly increased encounters ?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Nah, I've not used WA in quite some time. Then specifically installed this to try it out the other day.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Ralzar wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:25 pm Nah, I've not used WA in quite some time. Then specifically installed this to try it out the other day.
I did manage to break WA Wilderness yesterday after 4 hours of play, (Breaking in dungeon) however I've never got the awful amount of encounters as claimed in the thread. I'm still gonna increase the cooldown times though to make it a bit easier to camp. I do recommend camping at a dungeon location to keep from getting attacked by enemies. I also think its due to people not understanding certain things about WA. Like Orcs hunting you down if you attack/enter their keep.