UI/controls - enhancements

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Regnier

Re: UI/controls - enhancements

Post by Regnier »

as for interact modes i think they could be expanded to add usage.

Steal: It should always have an icon on your cursor so you know. Or maybe the icon is only on when stealing/pickpocketing like in modern TES. Maybe sneaking is slightly more successful when in steal mode. Steal mode can work like info to tell you lock level/gold in pile from afar. Invisibility/HP transfer spells could be improved when cast in this mode.

Grab: It could add the option of initiating climbing check. This could be used to run, jump and grab onto a wall. High strength warrior could attempt to grab enemies, maybe knocking them back. Or disarm them if you pass a STR and AGI/SPD check.

Info: This could be used to not only show the name of the shop but the quality level and maybe add an option to check if the shop has a particular item. for example you are running towards a shop and see that its a top quality weaponsmith with 20 arrows in stock. It could also tell you about monsters like spells and spell points, weaknesses? resistances? youd have to pass a check of some kind maybe. A warrior can learn from a bestiary at a guild and unlock the ability to identify.

Talk: Could allow you to initiate dialogue from further away or is seen as a more polite initial address rather than 'grab'ing someone, so you get a slight increase with that faction for a short time. Or, for example, if a high speech character clearly failed to pacify as he is being attacked he can attempt to pacify again by using the dialogue option, maybe only a few attempts. Heres a crazy idea, speech/warrior characters could 'yell' in the dungeon hopefully scaring enemies away to rest or maybe it gives them a higher chance to pacify/defense bonus for a short time. Check could be PER for believability or STR for power whichever is higher.

PS We should add an icon indicating if youre in sneak mode or not

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

Another i just thought of is to be able to go back to main menu where you can edit mods so you dont have to exit and reload.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

How easy would it be to add which spell is selected on the hud?

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Another i just thought of is to be able to go back to main menu where you can edit mods so you dont have to exit and reload.
I've been thinking about the need for a MCM style mod manager like all the other Beth games have. Now that I understand how the GUI object handlers work, I was thinking more about how to set this up with a classic menu and gui elements. This would probably require work on the modders side to ensure the mod settings show up and work with the MCM replacement.

A question for the devs? Can mod settings be changed on the fly via the mod settings object in code? Or, once a mod is launched in game, mod settings can't be accessed and changed anymore?
Not really that hard. You would grab the spell manager object, have it listen for current loaded spell, and when it detects it, have a gui rect box setup that updates the icon to show the present selected spell somewhere on screen.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

l3lessed wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:47 am
I've been thinking about the need for a MCM style mod manager like all the other Beth games have. Now that I understand how the GUI object handlers work, I was thinking more about how to set this up with a classic menu and gui elements. This would probably require work on the modders side to ensure the mod settings show up and work with the MCM replacement.

A question for the devs? Can mod settings be changed on the fly via the mod settings object in code? Or, once a mod is launched in game, mod settings can't be accessed and changed anymore?
Not really that hard. You would grab the spell manager object, have it listen for current loaded spell, and when it detects it, have a gui rect box setup that updates the icon to show the present selected spell somewhere on screen.
You can use console command change_modsettings, but mods need to specifically support live changes.

Mods theirselves cannot change settings, only read them. This is intended and so far I couldn't think on any reason to change it. I'm not sure what would be the benefit of an alternative mod manager, we already have the one created by Lypyl which works fine for its purpose.