Wilderness Overhaul

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Hazelnut

Re: Believable Wilderness

Post by Hazelnut »

Daniel87 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:25 pm
pango wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:49 am Agreed, looks fantastic!

Got a question though, dungeons have never been easy to find just by traveling around, do better wilderness makes it harder or easier? (more trees... but could also mean it's easier to spot glades).
Actually I have no idea haha.
I am always so focused on the console log and the natures look, that I didnt really check the locations much.
I guess from above they are easier to spot due to the huge area surrounding them that is a perfect square and free of trees, but didnt really pay attention to it tbh.

I really hope I can find a way to get the nature billboards also growing in at least dungeon exterior locations. It looks so weird to have fort ruins that appear like a british garden with a perfectly square rectangle of grass and a couple of trees, while it is surrounded by dense forest. Especially in the jungle this looks so fake.
Dungeon locations are smaller than others, you can browse them using DF modelling. I think without the clearing it may be hard to spot the entrances for the small mound styles.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Not more visible, not really less visible. Dungeon Entrances are already quite invisible. Maybe somone can come up with some more obvious 3D Models than a little hobbit hill with camouflage texturing? Quite anything would be better. A Mine shaft, ruins, a bigger hill with rocks, anything would be better than a small hill half the size of the player covered in the surrounding ground texture.
Spoiler!
Privateer's Hold:
In Julianos we Trust.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Today I got to fix the placement settings for streets.
Now trees get placed up to a few centimetres (depending on the rotation pivot) onto the street.
To me looks okay, what do you guys think?
Spoiler!

In Julianos we Trust.

pango

Post by pango »

Daniel87 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:23 pm To me looks okay, what do you guys think?
Looking okay to me too. I doubt one would cut more trees than strictly necessary for a road to get thru, specially around small roads...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

pango wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:57 pm
Daniel87 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:23 pm To me looks okay, what do you guys think?
Looking okay to me too. I doubt one would cut more trees than strictly necessary for a road to get thru, specially around small roads...
Trees still can be placed in the middle of dirt tracks, but since it is the same texture as normal dirt tiles, I cannot do much about this.
The proper roads with own road texture will get their due respect from vegetation and be avoided. Some trees are curved and the stem is not aligned with the actual pivot. In these cases, the tree can be more or less on the street, depending from which direction one is looking at it.
In Julianos we Trust.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Looks good, imo can stay like this.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Great, then I will leave it as is.

Added the settings for players to decide how much of the surrounding area around different kinds of locations they wish to clear of vegetation.
The player can also just untick "Dynamic Nature Clearance" and set a general nature clearance for all locations. The Daggerfall Unity standard was a general nature clearance of 4.
Spoiler!
In Julianos we Trust.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Daniel87 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:23 pm Today I got to fix the placement settings for streets.
Now trees get placed up to a few centimetres (depending on the rotation pivot) onto the street.
APPROVE !!

Now hurry up dammit :lol:
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Daniel87 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:36 pm
Added the settings for players to decide how much of the surrounding area around different kinds of locations they wish to clear of vegetation.
The player can also just untick "Dynamic Nature Clearance" and set a general nature clearance for all locations. The Daggerfall Unity standard was a general nature clearance of 4.

Man that's sweet
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Midknightprince wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:38 pm
Daniel87 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:23 pm Today I got to fix the placement settings for streets.
APPROVE !!

Now hurry up dammit :lol:
Haha, the same I am telling myself every night when going to bed and thinking about the things that still need to be finished in this mod, but then on my shoulder appears a little German with a ruler and compasses, telling me to take my time and deliver a proper, clean and top-notch mod. :D

I promise, I will not dive into advanced terrain texturing (Oh how I hate this nasty, plain perlin noise distribution of dirt, stone and grass tiles) before uploading v1.0 for everyone to play and give feedback on bugs and weird stuff going on. The world of DFU is big and I am pretty sure that I will be missing many bugs, no matter how thoroughly I test it. Still I hope later on to have the time and figure out a better system for texturing the terrain. Maybe only use stone texture for slopes steeper than X degree and dirt for areas around human settlements, as lots of people trample the grass there. Let's see where I will get with this.
In Julianos we Trust.