Selling unidentified magic items

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
AuntiePixel

Selling unidentified magic items

Post by AuntiePixel »

Noticed today that you get the same sell value for a magic item whether it's identified or not. Was wondering if that's intended behavior or a bug. Definitely handy, cause there's no enchantment that will make dragging around an iron cuirass worth it and not having to identify it saves a few clicks.

Hazelnut

Re: Selling unidentified magic items

Post by Hazelnut »

Whether it's a bug or not depends on whether classic has the same behaviour. We think we have the formula right, but happy to be corrected.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Post by pango »

Hi AuntiePixel,

Well, I launched classic Daggerfall, found an unidentified enchanted item in one of my characters' inventory:

Enchanted Talisman (worth: 3030 according to inventory)
Tried to sell it unidentified to a pawn shop: base price 4986, negociated down to 2570

I identified it in the local mages guild as a Talisman of Force Bolts (for 295 gp), then went back to the same pawn shop;
So, tried to sell it identified this time: base price 4986, negociated down to 2570.

So it seems classic does care whether items are identified before sell.

That doesn't seem very logical, and from gameplay perspective I think other choices could be more interesting, say make items more valuable when identified (and more than compensate for the price of identification). So I think it's most likely an oversight in classic.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

AuntiePixel

Post by AuntiePixel »

Nice info, thanks for the legwork.

Shalval

Post by Shalval »

Interestingly, Arena displays the same behavior. Worse yet: right-clicking on jewelry gives away what it does so identifying them is pointless. Maybe a moot point if you can just look at your stats and see what it does instead, especially when there is no risk of wearing a cursed item :)