Wanted To Confirm If Behavior Is Intended For Poison Effects

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Magicono43

Wanted To Confirm If Behavior Is Intended For Poison Effects

Post by Magicono43 »

Was doing more testing with poison incumbent effects and was wondering if this observed behavior is intended or not. If you are poisoned be it from a weapon, or from ingestion of a drug, during and after the effect duration is complete, as long as the poison effect did some form of draining to an attribute, you will be considered poisoned until you either fully heal the drained attribute, or use a cure poison effect, now this I know is intended.

However, the thing that i'm not sure about, while you are under the effect of said poison, are you supposed to be immune to further applications of that same poison effect? At least for me, I would have thought that continued application of the same poison effect would either add onto the current duration of the poison effect, or add onto the drain effect that the current active incumbent effect had done. But from my testing, if you are currently have a stat drained by Poison-A, you can't be effected by Poison-A again, until you cure the first incumbent effect of Poison-A.

I mostly find this strange because the drain-effect from the destruction spell based drain-effect seems to accumulate, even if you have been hit by that same effect before. Thanks for reading.

Interkarma

Re: Wanted To Confirm If Behavior Is Intended For Poison Effects

Post by Interkarma »

Poisons currently don't accumulate additional effects by re-application of same poison type. A single application of poison can be a deadly event by itself, let alone multiplying that poison over multiple applications. I intentionally implemented poison so like-kind poisons don't add state to self. Player can be affected by multiple types of poison at once however.

It's possible to change this based on feedback, but I'm not sure how I feel about making poisons even deadlier. :) They're already a tough thing to survive and clear properly, especially for novice players.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Interkarma wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:30 am Poisons currently don't accumulate additional effects by re-application of same poison type. A single application of poison can be a deadly event by itself, let alone multiplying that poison over multiple applications. I intentionally implemented poison so like-kind poisons don't add state to self. Player can be affected by multiple types of poison at once however.

It's possible to change this based on feedback, but I'm not sure how I feel about making poisons even deadlier. :) They're already a tough thing to survive and clear properly, especially for novice players.
I indeed understand your reasoning, I mostly asked as I plan on adding some more drug items and changing the current 4 drug items to be a bit more useful. This at least in my personal fork I have been working on. In that case I would want the effects to be able to be stacked similar to the current drain effect. Since you mention the "like-kind" part though being the reason they don't stack, I think I can hopefully more easily figure out how I can change this behavior for my project, so thanks for the answer.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yep, you've got it. :) In your custom poison effect, return false from IsLikeKind override and each new instance of poison will be applied instead of trying to stack with an incumbent.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Interkarma wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:56 am Yep, you've got it. :) In your custom poison effect, return false from IsLikeKind override and each new instance of poison will be applied instead of trying to stack with an incumbent.
Thank you, sir. I have been able to get my head around a lot of the stuff in the DFU code-base so far, but the spell effects and their various instances still throw me for a loop pretty often, appreciate the info!