Improving bookshelves?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Shalval

Improving bookshelves?

Post by Shalval »

This is something that has been on my mind since I got access to the library in the Mages Guild, and after a visit to the Daggerfall Lyceum, I figured I might as well write about it (this is not really a feature request, just ideas to see how people feel about it here):

It is incredibly difficult to read long series with the libraries as they are, because the shelves are randomized, with a lot of duplicates. And even if you get a good set one time, reloading after a break means praying to RNG again.

I know this is Classic behavior, but I do not think the current state of things is that meaningful from a gameplay perspective. And I imagine an optional enhancement, to make shelves have all the books sorted in alphabetical order, would be good QoL.

As a caveat, maybe improving the odds of reading a series in one go, by collecting books on the side and cross-referencing with the libraries as they are, is kind of realistic and has its own charm from a roleplay perspective... Hence thinking about such a feature as an optional enhancement (or a mod idea?).

A compromise could be to keep the random shelves, but have a seed fixed for the day/when you enter the interior?

Meanwhile, accessing the Imperial Library is a good meta-workaround. But my character is a bookworm, so instead I am collecting books in dungeons until I am really rich and can afford the missing entries :).

MrFlibble

Re: Improving bookshelves?

Post by MrFlibble »

A good library has a catalogue. Random books on shelves are good for bookstores (but a good bookstore would have some kind of reference too). Having a librarian list all the books available would be nice, but since you cannot label the actual shelves in any way I can only think of a solution when you ask for a specific book and then some kind of visible marker appears over the shelf where it is located.

Shalval

Re: Improving bookshelves?

Post by Shalval »

That does sound like a good mod concept :). Sprinkle in a way to ask a librarian to get missing books in the foreseeable future and you have the bones for a solid roleplay mechanic.

Meanwhile I reached the point where I can sell daedric armor pieces. So I can be a bit more deliberate about collecting books :lol: