[Mod] Random Starting Dungeon

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
CringingDragon

Re: [Mod] Random Starting Dungeon

Post by CringingDragon »

Thanks for the reply, and fair. I was not aware it was limited based on in game markers. If I stress myself out enough with it I'll use that command on occasion. Thanks again.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

CringingDragon wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:23 am Thanks for the reply, and fair. I was not aware it was limited based on in game markers. If I stress myself out enough with it I'll use that command on occasion. Thanks again.
No problem, and remember there is no shame in using the console commands in Daggerfall sometimes, especially when using what some would consider difficulty mods ;)

Hope you enjoy, and hopefully on the current project i'm working on I can make a better system for random starting locations and such with the increased control I have.

Superior Donut

Post by Superior Donut »

Not sure what kind of dungeon it is exactly, but I got put in this one dungeon that, right next to the entrance, has two "ship wheel levers" that open a couple wall movers. The dungeon was impossible to exit because of it, and I couldn't figure out how to get out of the dungeon until I "tele2exit" 'd lol. If it helps, the dungeon name was "The Masoleum of Darkivaron," which apparently has "a fairly high chance of being part of the main quest." (at least, according to the wiki -> https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:The ... %20dungeon). Maybe worth a check why this is the case, cuz I have "quest dungeons" toggled off in the settings (and every dungeon type except cemetery is on... aka the base options).

By the way, I'm not sure if it isn't already, but what do you think of adding a "random starting month" feature to this mod too? I've made a couple characters and they both started in morning star. Seems like it'd be a good addition imo, since it'd lower the odds of spawning in the winter time lol.

Other than that, thanks for the mod!

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Superior Donut wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:15 am Not sure what kind of dungeon it is exactly, but I got put in this one dungeon that, right next to the entrance, has two "ship wheel levers" that open a couple wall movers. The dungeon was impossible to exit because of it, and I couldn't figure out how to get out of the dungeon until I "tele2exit" 'd lol. If it helps, the dungeon name was "The Masoleum of Darkivaron," which apparently has "a fairly high chance of being part of the main quest." (at least, according to the wiki -> https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:The ... %20dungeon). Maybe worth a check why this is the case, cuz I have "quest dungeons" toggled off in the settings (and every dungeon type except cemetery is on... aka the base options).

By the way, I'm not sure if it isn't already, but what do you think of adding a "random starting month" feature to this mod too? I've made a couple characters and they both started in morning star. Seems like it'd be a good addition imo, since it'd lower the odds of spawning in the winter time lol.

Other than that, thanks for the mod!
Yeah, there is some cases where you will spawn in a place that normally requires some other puzzle element to be completed before you are allowed in said area, effectively trapping you when spawned right inside that area. I did my best to reduce the occurrence of this by filtering out all the dungeon blocks I could that had elements like this, but clearly I missed a few, sometimes you just have to do "tele2exit" like you did though. When the wiki says "fairly high chance" it likely means that dungeon is not actually a main-quest dungeon, but is just like any other normal random dungeon, but just happens to have higher odds of being randomly chosen for one of the main random dungeons the main quest does require you to do on occasion.

I have no thought of changing the starting date randomly, but that's not a bad idea, not really sure if that is easily moddable at the moment though, I've been working on my overhaul project in my spare time so I have not really been doing too much with my already released mods, but i'll keep that in mind, thanks, and glad you are mostly enjoying the mod.

Flying Kites

Post by Flying Kites »

I'd like to follow along with the main quest, so which options guarantee that I start by a coastline? I don't mind being in Hammerfell at the start either. Is that by excluding everything but "ocean?"

Oh, and I need to ask, what does unchecking all of the dungeon types do? Is there a specific, easy dungeon that will always spawn?

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Flying Kites wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:16 pm I'd like to follow along with the main quest, so which options guarantee that I start by a coastline? I don't mind being in Hammerfell at the start either. Is that by excluding everything but "ocean?"

Oh, and I need to ask, what does unchecking all of the dungeon types do? Is there a specific, easy dungeon that will always spawn?
The biome system is not very intuitive, so I am completely unsure if any of the areas that are around the sea, such as the coast lines of main-land regions are even considered "ocean" biomes. You can play around and test it though and see where it drops you though. I have a feeling (I could be wrong) that you might just be put on island regions though. I'd say try out that setting with a throw away character and see where you get sent, and if it seems to your liking, just make your "true" character using the same mod settings.

Edit 1: I honestly have not tried unchecking all the dungeon types, I'm going to assume you will just get dropped off at Privateer's Hold as there will probably be no valid options if you choose to do that.

Flying Kites

Post by Flying Kites »

I've got these dungeons selected, Ruined Castle, Natural Cave, Mine, Prison, Human Stronghold, Orc Stronghold, and Crypt. The only biome I used was Ocean and I got dropped off at the exit to a crypt because of a "dungeon transformation" error or something. I did exit fine and I was placed very near the coast in the Bhoriane province which is near the islands of the magic stuff. Looks good to me.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Flying Kites wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:51 pm I've got these dungeons selected, Ruined Castle, Natural Cave, Mine, Prison, Human Stronghold, Orc Stronghold, and Crypt. The only biome I used was Ocean and I got dropped off at the exit to a crypt because of a "dungeon transformation" error or something. I did exit fine and I was placed very near the coast in the Bhoriane province which is near the islands of the magic stuff. Looks good to me.
Interesting, I'm honestly surprised it seemed to work out like that, maybe you just got really lucky, lol. But glad it worked out for you either way, even though I had not expectations of the ocean biome actually dropping you anywhere useful.

Flying Kites

Post by Flying Kites »

I tried once more and was put in a ruined castle(I think) on the island of Balifera. I'm struggling with mod satisfaction so I'll be starting new characters quite a bit.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Flying Kites wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:24 am I tried once more and was put in a ruined castle(I think) on the island of Balifera. I'm struggling with mod satisfaction so I'll be starting new characters quite a bit.
If you want to get a different start on the same character, you can use the modded console command "manual_random_teleport" and you will get teleported again based on your filter options. This is mostly if you are remaking characters due to not a satisfactory starting location of course.