Torches in dungeons

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Regnier

Torches in dungeons

Post by Regnier »

It is a little funny that there are lit torches in dungeons but it still makes sense that they exist.

Is it possible to make the torches in dungeons unlit by default, but lit if there are certain enemy types?

Humans would light torches in the dungeon (only those in their area?)

Magic users would light it with magic light, so a different colour perhaps.

It would also be cool to be able to light/douse the torches yourself somehow.

Ralzar

Re: Torches in dungeons

Post by Ralzar »

I have actuallly toyed with the idea. Torch Taker already has most of the code for this, the hard part is just the whole logic around when they should be lit.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Would your torch taker be able to light unlit torches? So have them all unlit when you enter a dungeon and you have to light them with your own as you go.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Having to light the torches up in a dung sounds quite good. Like in Amnesia. But there are torches u can light up only using levitation, like the center of direnni tower etc.. or high walls in orsinium.. some parts of dungeons with that tower..

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Hazelnut wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:27 am Would your torch taker be able to light unlit torches? So have them all unlit when you enter a dungeon and you have to light them with your own as you go.
The code finds all torches after dungeon load, then replaces them with new torches that are clickable. If I remember correctly, been a while since I coded it.
So I already have code checking all the torches at load and manipulating them. The biggest problem is actually that I don't have an unlit torch sprite.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

So I have made some decent headway into adding this to Torch Taker. I will probably make a new mod to replace Torch Taker which includes this. Probably with a mod setting or two to select which features you want to use.

So far it removes the light effect from all torches in a dungeon and replaces the them with unlit torches:
dousedtorches.png
dousedtorches.png (16.8 KiB) Viewed 857 times
Then I can add code to make it so you can click those to light them. However, some random thoughts about how to do the mod:

Should you be able to light torches without supplying the fuel? I would think torches are not lit because they burned out. So you would need to pay with a torch to light it I am thinking?

Should unlit torches still be there in all the spots? I can have the mod roll randomly if it should place an unlit torch or not.

Should I do this with other light sources? Like camp fires, braziers, lanterns? If so, I am thinking I could have torches be used to relight torches on the walls, oils to relight lanterns and campfires/braziers be possible to light without anything. I don't think I can do anything with the brick fire places though. Would need a whole new set of code to find and change stuff there.

Additional problem: getting this to work with Hand Painted Models. I don't use the mod, but like to support it when I can, like how Climates&Calories uses the HPM campfire 3D model if you use HPM.

Oh yeah, and I am also hoping to perhaps run a check before dousing a light source: if there is a humanoid nearby, leave it on. So if a human spawns next to a fire for example, the fire stays lit even if the rest of the dungeon is dark.

Tkia

Post by Tkia »

Hi Ralzar. While you're tweaking and re-designing this I have a small enhancement request. Is it possible to give a player setting option for the mode used to pickup the torches? I'd actually prefer to set it to happen when in grab mode rather than steal. Reason being: I have a plate tank who usually clatters through dungeons in a blaze of torchlight, anything but quiet and subtle, but she keeps getting stealth skill-ups! I can only conclude it's from the number of torches she picks up as she goes. It's great if you want the stealth imps, not so great if you don't.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

This is actually because Daggerfall has an always-on stealth system. No matter how you move, stealth is checked. Just the chance of succeeding changes by how fast you are moving and your Stealth skill. So no matter the character build or playstyle, stealth will get trained.
My mod "Skulduggery" changes this so you have to use the sneak button to train stealth.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

Ralzar wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:55 am
yes i think the torches should all be out in circumstances that would make sense. Humanoids and orcs should always light torches, at least the ones near them, and maybe daedra would too, but probably not.
Also fire atronachs should light the sources that he would bump into lol. Those standing skull torches would get lit by accident

I think needing oil and stuff is a great idea. There are twigs that you can find, maybe those would be needed to get those campfires and stuff going. If we wanna go further, the torches could have literally burned away their fuel so bandages are perfect for getting torches lit...worth it for a torch?

Torch Taker could become Dynamic Torches.

Now, this is outside the scope of this mod, but it would be so cool if light effected enemies. For instance animals hate fire so they get some sort of debuff if you have a torch equipped and hit them H2H (sans the torch visible in hand)
and undead/vampires fear light (maybe just magical light). Again they could get a debuff or w/e
And of course having light effect stealth, but...

Sounds great so far and thanks for putting in work on this!

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

oh ya and as for torches and stuff that are out of reach, can a fireball do it?