[MOD] Vanilla Enhanced

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
sayber1

Re: [MOD] Vanilla Enhanced

Post by sayber1 »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:22 am
There is no debate about upscales or extra animation frames. Some like it, some don't but we dont have to be at each others throat because of that.
I hate to bring this up, but there is a debate about extra animation frames and animators and people knowlegeable about animation will probably tell you that a framrate upscale(the popular way at least) is fundamentally wrong and it undermines the basic principles of animation. There is no such debate for upscaled pixel art now because it has not been widespread enough to warrant it.
BadLuckBurt wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:22 am
Just let everyone enjoy the game in their own way with the mods they like.
The reason I want to bring this up, is because carademono is a really amazing modder in this community. I believe he also is one of the most productive ones. He created and maintains some incredible mods out where. Many of which are the only mods covering the given topic.

Thats why I would not want to see him going so deep in what I believe is to be a bad practice. As I think it can undermine the future mods he makes.

It is always hard to critisize other people's free mods that they put in a lot of love and their free time. But I do think it can be neccesary, to improve things in the future.

I still think I didn't do it in the correct way or at the right time, and for that I am sorry.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

sayber1 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:47 am
I hate to bring this up, but there is a debate about extra animation frames and animators and people knowlegeable about animation will probably tell you that a framrate upscale(the popular way at least) is fundamentally wrong and it undermines the basic principles of animation. There is no such debate for upscaled pixel art now because it has not been widespread enough to warrant it.

The reason I want to bring this up, is because carademono is a really amazing modder in this community. I believe he also is one of the most productive ones. He created and maintains some incredible mods out where. Many of which are the only mods covering the given topic.

Thats why I would not want to see him going so deep in what I believe is to be a bad practice. As I think it can undermine the future mods he makes.

It is always hard to critisize other people's free mods that they put in a lot of love and their free time. But I do think it can be neccesary, to improve things in the future.

I still think I didn't do it in the correct way or at the right time, and for that I am sorry.
Make your own topic about this, I will gladly reply there, not in this thread
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

sayber1

Post by sayber1 »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:52 am Make your own topic about this, I will gladly reply there, not in this thread
Made a topic in the Modder Discussion. Sorry to have polluted this thread with my rumbling.

andromacus

Post by andromacus »

But to come back to the main topic... :)

[/quote]

Good question! You're correct, you probably wouldn't want to use this mod with DREAM or Handpainted Models because the pixel art aesthetic would clash with the HD aesthetic. Vanilla Enhanced is also a total texture replacement, just like DREAM is -- they do the same thing, but differently.

That said, I've provided the high-res vanilla skies in separate dfmods, so you can play with DREAM using the VE skies if you'd like.
[/quote]

This is getting to be an hard choice! :) I absolutely love DREAM and Handpainted, but I'm also enjoying a lot Villager & Monster variety and I would like to continue to use all, if possible. Do you think Villager & Monster variety will continue to exist as a separated and updated mod, or it will be in the end merged with this one?

Also, any plan by chance to add various faces to Nymphs and Harpies? :)

Thanks again for all of your work!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Its a lovely mod. Ppl can choose what they want, pixel or HD. Btw, usually those who contribute nothing are the loudest, about what other ppl are supposed to be doing...

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Looks fantastic as expected but the sky causes me motion sickness. Sigh.

carademono

Post by carademono »

Seferoth wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:31 am Looks fantastic as expected but the sky causes me motion sickness. Sigh.
Expect a fully working skybox in a few days courtesy of the always impressive John Doom :)

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

carademono wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:42 am
Seferoth wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:31 am Looks fantastic as expected but the sky causes me motion sickness. Sigh.
Expect a fully working skybox in a few days courtesy of the always impressive John Doom :)
Sweet! That will be amazing! :D

carademono

Post by carademono »

New release of Vanilla Enhanced that attempts to improve the mod taking into account feedback from sayber1 and Ninelan:
- Vanilla Enhanced welcomes Ninelan as new artistic director of the project! The base mod has been revised to be much closer to vanilla, with oversmoothing and smudging hopefully eliminated. Note: NPC and monster sprites have not yet been revised, but they will be in the next release. Terrain textures and most terrain flats have had their resolutions doubled. Color bleed in the UI has been greatly reduced.
- The base mod and Vanilla Enhanced Skies can now be downloaded separately. Note: the skies have not been changed from the previous release.
https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/273

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

is it just me or are the townsfolk...smaller?

i just added this and fired it up alone and thats what it feels like