Using AI upscalling and filtering techniques on a pixel art and why I think it's not there yet.

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Ninelan

Re: Using AI upscalling and filtering techniques on a pixel art and why I think it's not there yet.

Post by Ninelan »

carademono wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:53 pm
Ninelan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:46 pm Now now, there's no need to get heated over some pixels =P
There are worse things that can happen than a critique of methods.
Look, I'm desperate for good feedback on this project aimed at helping me make it better. But "the entire premise of your project is bad and I have no further suggestions" is not that. God knows I've had heated debates with KoW over upscaling techniques (sorry KoW!) but always with the purpose of making DREAM's sprites look better within the framework of KoW's aesthetic vision.
And so did we, albeit in 3D :D

Then, In which case you'll have to trust someone else's intuition on what works and doesn't. It's often hard to see when something doesn't work and why something doesn't work until it's pointed out in big red bold letters. But you gotta listen to what is actually being said cause nobody here is saying you should stop cause the whole project or idea is bad!

If you wouldn't mind I can go grab both your lineups of the different sprites from before and go through every single one of those sprites for a small art school with Ninelan.
You can support me and in turn my art on my Patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/fireflyness

carademono

Re: Using AI upscalling and filtering techniques on a pixel art and why I think it's not there yet.

Post by carademono »

Ninelan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:32 am
And so did we, albeit in 3D :D
Oh now, that was only a little bit heated :D I'd love to go to Ninelan school. Friday or Monday will probably be my first chance to enroll though.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

No worries. It can get heated when it gets to passion, which for many of us the "work" on DFU is.

carademono

Post by carademono »

New release of Vanilla Enhanced that attempts to improve the mod taking into account the feedback in this thread:
- Vanilla Enhanced welcomes Ninelan as new artistic director of the project! The base mod has been revised to be much closer to vanilla, with oversmoothing and smudging hopefully eliminated. Note: NPC and monster sprites have not yet been revised, but they will be in the next release. Terrain textures and most terrain flats have had their resolutions doubled. Color bleed in the UI has been greatly reduced.
- The base mod and Vanilla Enhanced Skies can now be downloaded separately. Note: the skies have not been changed from the previous release.
https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/273