Modding Tutorials

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
osman

Re: Modding Tutorials

Post by osman »

Magicono43 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:45 pm
For the files in the mod-builder you want imported/included you add your textures from that folder and build the mod basically.

Then the result should be a .dfmod that when said mod is enabled replacing the textures just like the loose file method does, but more compact.
I tried to build a mod with daggerfall tools but i can't get it work. built an empty mod then put the pngs i made in the streamingassets/textures folder, it didn't change anything. Can you explain to me what do i do step by step? and i checked the first couple of posts, still couldn't figure it out.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Alright, if somebody does not beat me to it. I'll make a short video to try and break down the process for your case specifically where you are just trying to add images and build them into a .dfmod file. I'll post it whenever I get done with it, hopefully.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

osman wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:49 pm I tried to build a mod with daggerfall tools but i can't get it work. built an empty mod then put the pngs i made in the streamingassets/textures folder, it didn't change anything. Can you explain to me what do i do step by step? and i checked the first couple of posts, still couldn't figure it out.
Here is that video tutorial I promised, it's a bit longer than I wanted it to be, but it's fairly comprehensive for your specific question:

osman

Post by osman »

Magicono43 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:48 am Here is that video tutorial I promised, it's a bit longer than I wanted it to be, but it's fairly comprehensive for your specific question:
Thank you so much! I finally did it, there were so many pngs for my armor texture that .dfmod format was a must.
Attachments
armor mod.png
armor mod.png (64.94 KiB) Viewed 6983 times

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

osman wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:40 pm Thank you so much! I finally did it, there were so many pngs for my armor texture that .dfmod format was a must.
Looks great, very glad the effort was worth it in the end!

osman

Post by osman »

13thsyndicate wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:16 am Hello! I'm making a set of face replacements and I was wondering how to package them back up into a .CIF so they can be read by DFU.
You don't need to do that, you can name differently and put them in streamingassets/textures/CifRci. As for the naming part, you can name them like FACE07I0.CIF_4-0

"FACE07I0.CIF" is the archive and "4-0" is record-frame.

13thsyndicate

Post by 13thsyndicate »

Thank you, I figured it out finally, but I appreciate you letting me know!

MikeDestroy

Post by MikeDestroy »

I just got up and running with this. Super excited to learn DFU modding! :D

I have a few questions, comments and suggestions. They are mostly about documentation:

I was pretty confused at the start. A major reason for this is I'm also new to Unity and wasn't quite sure how to set everything up to the point where the tutorials start. I think learning to make mods for DFU would also be a great way to learn Unity itself, and it would be nice if you didn't assume that an aspiring modder already has experience with it.

It was also a bit confusing and overwhelming to search through the forum for the answers that I was looking for. Is there any documentation besides the API reference, the modding section of the main website, and this forum post? Maybe you could combine all of this into DocFX? I'm not familiar with DocFX specifically, but I've worked with a similar docgen system for python called Sphinx. Keeping all docs with the source is helpful in many ways for everyone involved. Sphinx can basically be turned into a wiki that has pages for specific code components, and it looks like DocFX can be used in a very similar way.

I'd love to help in whatever way I can to improve this. Draft/edit/write documentation? Provide feedback while I learn?

SharkClub

Post by SharkClub »

Magicono43 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:48 am
osman wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:49 pm I tried to build a mod with daggerfall tools but i can't get it work. built an empty mod then put the pngs i made in the streamingassets/textures folder, it didn't change anything. Can you explain to me what do i do step by step? and i checked the first couple of posts, still couldn't figure it out.
Here is that video tutorial I promised, it's a bit longer than I wanted it to be, but it's fairly comprehensive for your specific question:

https://youtu.be/-e3ldQ5rIJU
Thanks a bunch for this video, I was having the exact same issue in struggling to find a proper step by step for building a .dfmod for simple texture replacements anywhere else on this forum or in any of the DFUnity guides. I guess it was so simple to most of the modders that it was just skipped over entirely elsewhere. Your guide worked like a charm.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

SharkClub wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:56 pm Thanks a bunch for this video, I was having the exact same issue in struggling to find a proper step by step for building a .dfmod for simple texture replacements anywhere else on this forum or in any of the DFUnity guides. I guess it was so simple to most of the modders that it was just skipped over entirely elsewhere. Your guide worked like a charm.
Awesome, I'm glad it was able to help. It's definitely not a from 0 to dfmod sort of tutorial, but I think it's pretty useful if one was able to get past the initial hurdle of opening the DFU project in the proper Unity editor environment though.

I think not many people make videos and tutorials just because it does take a surprising amount of thought and effort in some cases to try and "break down" something you currently know how to do so somebody who has never done it can do it, it's deceptively challenging in many small ways, lol.