Arena / Tamriel Rebuilt... in Daggerfall!

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Arneb

Re: Arena / Tamriel Rebuilt... in Daggerfall!

Post by Arneb »

What I mean is, I'll make a translator to remake a new map of the Iliac Bay, not on the fly, just once, and that new map will be written down to new WOODS.WLD, CLIMATES.PAK and POLITIC.PAK files. It will be an approximation of the current map because it will take the current locations and rotate them, placing them on a new grid while trying to approximate as much as possible their original respective distance.

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Be sure to start off small, the first goal shouldn’t even be having towns or dungeons but just the Tamriel landmass. First just focus on the Tamriel landmass and that alone would be huge progress. A Tamriel map should begin as being basic but act as a foundation. Daggerfall Unity is a game where mods build upon each other. You can create just the Tamriel landmass and others will fill it in over time. People having the mentality of “a Tamriel map mod must be super detailed” is why we have no Tamriel map at all. Start off with just adding the Tamriel landmass. I guarantee that if you add the landmass of Tamriel then pretty quickly others will get to creating tools to generate towns and dungeons. Start off with the foundations and the rest will naturally come as with a blank Tamriel landmass there will finally be a reason for people to make town and dungeon generators

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

I would just emphasize START OUT SMALL as please, for the love of GOD, shrink tamriel to where you can ride completely from end to end, high rock to black marshes in no more than an hour.
Daggerfall's biggest drag is everything is handled with no respect - it was slopped and jumbled into jigsaw pieces. like a toddler ramming a square peg in a round hole and MAKING it fit.
If every part was unique with unique tilesets assigned (which daggerfall has a impressive array built in) then things would be much better.

What would be even better is if every capital was unique, and towns, villages, main temple locations, roadside farms, inns, manors, ect.
And especially all dungeons by type just getting a single unique overhaul per region. i'd even settle with 18 hand crafted dungeons, one for each type, and then split between them.

if we had this so you could stumble on special caves or crashed ships or wooded glens or what have you like oblivion or morrowind or skyrim, with no other changes daggerfall would be 100% better.
my two cents.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

My thought is that if you could make a black triangle that would be a major milestone.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Vorzak

Post by Vorzak »

jayhova wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:44 pm My thought is that if you could make a black triangle that would be a major milestone.
triangle-512.jpg
triangle-512.jpg (9.46 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
hope this helps

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

Werewolf wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:12 pm Be sure to start off small, the first goal shouldn’t even be having towns or dungeons but just the Tamriel landmass. [...]
TBH, my first goal is that of recreating the Iliac Bay with the right orientation. But yeah, from there things will go slow and modular.
daggerdude wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:06 pm I would just emphasize START OUT SMALL as please, for the love of GOD, shrink tamriel to where you can ride completely from end to end, high rock to black marshes in no more than an hour. [...] if we had this so you could stumble on special caves or crashed ships or wooded glens or what have you like oblivion or morrowind or skyrim, with no other changes daggerfall would be 100% better.
I'm sorry, but that is outside the scope of all this: the point in recreating Tamriel in the Daggerfall engine is that this way you can do it MASSIVE. Therefore, if I ever will be able to accomplish anything in this project, MASSIVE is the way to go. For everyone else's taste, there already are Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.
jayhova wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:44 pm My thought is that if you could make a black triangle that would be a major milestone.
This eludes me: what is this black triangle about?

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Go ahead and start with giving Iliac Bay the right foundation. Fixing that would then allow you or others to add the Tamriel landmass afterwards. But start off simple, like fixing the foundation. That is the first step and you don’t want to skip steps. Good luck

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Arneb wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:22 am
This eludes me: what is this black triangle about?
Interkarma wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:01 am With some back-end and core actions out of the way, it was incredibly satisfying to watch the quest system spring into life today. The two bootstrap quests are now launched with a new character. They don’t do much more than popup messages right now, but everything starts somewhere.

The work from here is “just” building out all the remaining actions and conditions for quest scripting. I say “just” because it’s still a huge amount of work. But it’s finally starting to feel like I’m getting somewhere!

If this doesn’t look like an awful lot of progress for a few months work, remember it’s a black triangle milestone. This is a pioneer of more interesting stuff to come.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

Ok, that is really cool :shock:

By the way, I (still) haven’t give up on the project: at the moment, apart from working on my soonish-to-be-released mod, I’m studying a way to work efficiently on the different files of classic DaggerFall. Many tools that used to somewhat work are outdated and not working on a 64 bit architecture. As suggested by modders more knowledgeable than I am, the best course would be to use the methods already present in DFU to interact with the original DF archives. Ideally, I would like to make a sort of editor, as much graphical as possible, which would allow to set the not-random parameters (landmasses, big cities, climate…), and then generate everything else, filling gaps where needed.

If I will ever be able to accomplish that, no one knows 😛

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

I'm sorry, but that is outside the scope of all this: the point in recreating Tamriel in the Daggerfall engine is that this way you can do it MASSIVE. Therefore, if I ever will be able to accomplish anything in this project, MASSIVE is the way to go. For everyone else's taste, there already are Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.
I guess my question is how massive is massive? Daggerfall is INSANE. it can eat all the other games into it like jupiter can the earth. I understand from a creative point that making something bigger and letting others use the material as they see fit, but surely like, if you compare the size of arena's map and made imitation provinces that it would in fact be better to shrink it? i mean, lets say tamriel entire was the size of what daggerfall is now, its STILL huge.
I read it takes like 3 real days to walk across https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2mM0PqY4Sk

does any map have to be that big?

Was just curious of what you thought of daggerfall's size in relation to what you invision for the whole of tamriel. I'm glad you'd bother either way big or small so don't take what I'm saying too critically, i'm just more curious your thoughts on how big a map SHOULD be.