The lag in Castles, Dungeons, and some houses

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Midknightprince

The lag in Castles, Dungeons, and some houses

Post by Midknightprince »

Okay, so I've been testing.
I think I found a slight workaround for the lag in the castles ( on my end anyways)
I tested on several saves.
So here goes.
1. Load up Daggerfall Unity, deactivate all mods manually, save and exit without loading any saves ( which seems to be key when messing with the mods, on my end anyways).
2. Restart, and load up any save, and then save in a fresh slot ( not over writing any previous games), exit again.
3. Load up Unity a 3rd time, activate all mods, and exit again without loading any saves.
4. Restart Unity a 4th time, load up that save you just made with no mods active, save and exit.

I'm getting a noticable fps boost on my end, in castles ( that's the only time it really lags for me), same for dungeons (went to privateers hold but Ill check some more out later that I know make my stuff lag ), so I'll let you know...

Didnt have a chance to check out the forums if its been coverd already, but like I said it's a lot smoother for me.

So I think when messing with the mods, you need to exit before loading a save.
And loading with all Mods active, in a fresh save with no mods active, seems to have an effect.

Maybe it's just all the mods I've added recently, but that just makes it more plausible, as you cant just activate stuff and straight up load without getting the lag (you have to exit Unity first).

So maybe when adding mods, or fiddling with the settings, you should exit afterwards, then start up a save with none active, which is not hard to make, works with any save (tested).

I hope this helps, and I hope im posting in the right place, because I think it's important.
Just an fyi... :ugeek:
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Deathcrush

Re: The lag in Castles, Dungeons, and some houses

Post by Deathcrush »

Midknightprince wrote:Okay, so I've been testing.
I think I found a slight workaround for the lag in the castles ( on my end anyways)
I tested on several saves.
So here goes.
1. Load up Daggerfall Unity, deactivate all mods manually, save and exit without loading any saves ( which seems to be key when messing with the mods, on my end anyways).
2. Restart, and load up any save, and then save in a fresh slot ( not over writing any previous games), exit again.
3. Load up Unity a 3rd time, activate all mods, and exit again without loading any saves.
4. Restart Unity a 4th time, load up that save you just made with no mods active, save and exit.

I'm getting a noticable fps boost on my end, in castles ( that's the only time it really lags for me), same for dungeons (went to privateers hold but Ill check some more out later that I know make my stuff lag ), so I'll let you know...

Didnt have a chance to check out the forums if its been coverd already, but like I said it's a lot smoother for me.

So I think when messing with the mods, you need to exit before loading a save.
And loading with all Mods active, in a fresh save with no mods active, seems to have an effect.

Maybe it's just all the mods I've added recently, but that just makes it more plausible, as you cant just activate stuff and straight up load without getting the lag (you have to exit Unity first).

So maybe when adding mods, or fiddling with the settings, you should exit afterwards, then start up a save with none active, which is not hard to make, works with any save (tested).

I hope this helps, and I hope im posting in the right place, because I think it's important.
Just an fyi... :ugeek:
Thanks for the tip here, I'm going to give this a go after work today. If I get some good results I'll post again.
"Excuse the gloom, but none may know of this meeting."

Midknightprince

Deathcrush wrote: Thanks for the tip here, I'm going to give this a go after work today. If I get some good results I'll post again.
Cool, hope it works.

Midknightprince

I also put the view distance to 3, doesn't seem to look any different, but it's smooth, and I was thinking about dungeon interiors.
But I have no Idea if it makes a diff, just my pref I guess...Still a great view distance (checked it out outside privateers hold).
Beautiful view at that place..

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey guys, just moving this one to Help & Support, as it's not a bug exactly. Adding third-party mods (especially graphically heavy ones) will impact performance.

For general light and shadow performance in interiors, I'll add a flag to the INI allowing this to be set back to ambient only with no shadows. This will help folks with minimum spec cards.

You can also try dropping quality level from Fantastic down to a lower level and/or a lower resolution. For example 720p looks almost identical to 1080p (with vanilla textures) and requires 2x less fill rate from your card for lighting and shadows.

Midknightprince

Interkarma wrote:Hey guys, just moving this one to Help & Support, as it's not a bug exactly. Adding third-party mods (especially graphically heavy ones) will impact performance.

For general light and shadow performance in interiors, I'll add a flag to the INI allowing this to be set back to ambient only with no shadows. This will help folks with minimum spec cards.

You can also try dropping quality level from Fantastic down to a lower level and/or a lower resolution. For example 720p looks almost identical to 1080p (with vanilla textures) and requires 2x less fill rate from your card for lighting and shadows.
Cool, thank you, I figured it was the wrong place, so next time "Help and support" got it. ;)

Midknightprince

Interkarma wrote:Adding third-party mods (especially graphically heavy ones) will impact performance.

I can run Ark in 1080p@60 fps consistently on high, Don't think it's my specs..

Just in case, here they are.. i5 2300 @2.8 x4 (auto boost to 3.1) 24 gig's @1333mhz, GEForce 750ti (2 Gig's) win 10 x64 bit 750 watts of ultimate overwhelming power (yes it's a thing) Muwahaha.
My pc's like a workhorse, you can put the dims in any slot.
No order, just chaos..

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

With that card, you're right about, or maybe slightly below, minimum spec (which is a 660 series or higher). The x50 models have rather slow memory bandwidth compared to x60, x70, x80, etc. which is really important when using MRT and deferred shading like in Daggerfall Unity.

Keep in mind my minimum spec only accounts for the base game. Mods will push up the requirements quite a bit - especially stuff like reflections that really pile on the bandwidth requirements. :)

Midknightprince

Interkarma wrote:With that card, you're right about, or maybe slightly below, minimum spec (which is a 660 series or higher). The x50 models have rather slow memory bandwidth compared to x60, x70, x80, etc. which is really important when using MRT and deferred shading like in Daggerfall Unity.

Keep in mind my minimum spec only accounts for the base game. Mods will push up the requirements quite a bit - especially stuff like reflections that really pile on the bandwidth requirements. :)
How can a 750ti be below a 660 ? :?

So maybe I should get one of those new 1050' Ti's ?
They're not that much...OOOOOOOOO :P
They got one @walmart.com for like $160
I could totally do it...but it's gotta be small form factor..
what do you think ?
Dude, I so totally want it.
it's actually a 1050 Ti SC it's an EVGA...I like EVGA
Attachments
zotac 1050ti mini @140 but I don't know much about zotac
zotac 1050ti mini @140 but I don't know much about zotac
Zotac 1050Ti mini.jpeg (14.83 KiB) Viewed 5366 times
1050ti SC  @170 evga
1050ti SC @170 evga
GeForce 1050ti SC.jpeg (31.32 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
1050ti  @160 evga
1050ti @160 evga