Broken Jokes When Asking for News

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
nicksta1310

Broken Jokes When Asking for News

Post by nicksta1310 »

Ever wondered what happens when the game runs out of news? Well, it raises the probability of the NPC chatting about the weather, mentioning previous quests that you've completed and telling jokes that insult your character's race.

Most of the jokes are displaying the %ra macro literally instead of inserting the player race text. I'm using 0.14.4 on Linux.

Hazelnut

Re: Broken Jokes When Asking for News

Post by Hazelnut »

Can you provide a way to reproduce the broken jokes for us please?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

Unfortunately, I don't know of a reliable way to reproduce the issue. It only happens after you have asked the NPCs for news so many times that the pool of current factional events has run dry, but even then the jokes may not show up for a while, if at all. However, when the jokes do start appearing, it's like the majority of NPCs are trying to be edgy comedians.

Now that I mention it, there seems to be a pattern to the types of canned responses. If one NPC says "hmm... can't think of any," then other NPCs in the same location are much more likely to say the same thing. I also noticed that when one NPC chats about the weather, other NPCs in the same location are much more likely to do the same. It's like the game is choosing a few responses from a database when you enter a town.

Finally, I believe that the jokes are more likely to appear if you haven't done any quests recently, because the game generates news from post-quest rumours. I'll attach a copy of a save file if it happens again.

AnEmpatheticAgorist

Post by AnEmpatheticAgorist »

Same happening here. I've recently started working on etiquette and streetwise and so stop every person I see to ask bluntly about where I am and politely about news. I still get the occasional bit of gossip but mostly get the joke with %ra in place of my characters race.

I mostly do this in the home base town and not in I came here because of a quest towns. I've found that people are more likely to give me a negative response in a less well known town so....
Attachments
An image as example of this behavior.
An image as example of this behavior.
@DF_%ra.png (1.04 MiB) Viewed 399 times