Daggerfall Marriage System

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.

Would you be interested in using this Quest Pack?

Yes
87%
No
5%
Maybe
8%

Total votes: 109

andromacus

Re: Daggerfall Marriage System

Post by andromacus »

I would like to propose an idea here, since this is definitely one of the mods I would like to see implemented.

I wonder if this could be implemented through a series of quests, rather than changing the code of the game, which could be potentially easier (I believe).

Here is the idea: in the "Prostitute and lovers", sometimes you can get an "advance" from one of the NPCs. Let's suppose to implement a "quest" like this one, which at the end offers you the option "Do you want to establish a relationship with <NPC name>? [Y/N]". If you click Yes then the NPC is turned into a sort of permanent quest giver, who always gives quests related to the relationship. Some quests may be very basic and without risks (e.g. let's go and have a drink at that tavern, or "I would like to go and visit the palace of <city name>"), others can have unexpected plot twist, others can made the relationship to progress (e.g. collect a certain amount of gold to organize the marriage).

Fulfilling the quests will make the relationship with the NPC to endure, while failing the quests or not visiting the NPC for too long will cause the relationship to degenerate (a bit like the reputation with a guild). If the relationship degenerates too much there will be a break up.

So, I don't know if this is technically feasible or if it is easy or not, but let's try to put this idea on the table. Any thoughts?

Sway

Post by Sway »

I think if your characters boy or girlfriend or spouse has a house then they should be able to move in there. Though modding non buy able houses so they can be used like buy-able houses pry would be a pain. I don't know much about coding so yeah. I think if that is possible they pry would be more patient then the opposite. Oh and I'm am pro for this project myself. Oh yeah kids that age would be nice and the idea of having different races would be awesome :!:

Healer2022

Post by Healer2022 »

Do we have some source code to continue the work? 8-)

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Healer2022 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:05 am Do we have some source code to continue the work? 8-)
Had a proof of concept that I never finished. Would like to get this worked on eventually.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

What are your thoughts on my proposed ideas?

I was thinking about family as a faction. Your family affiliations could involve you in all sorts of intrigues. You could work to raise the status of your family (perhaps making enemies along the way) Quests could raise your status in the family. You might receive a gift from a long-lost uncle. You might need a certain level of reputation with the family to even be considered a suitor. Suppose for instance you recover the father's grandfather's sword lost long ago in the depths of a dungeon. Maybe he would not even deign to send someone of your class to look for it. Perhaps you gift him the sword hoping this will elevate you enough in his eyes to be considered suitable or perhaps you threaten to sell the sword to his enemy if he will not swear to allow the marriage.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Dastard

Post by Dastard »

I'm looking forward to this. Daggerfall needs more stuff to expand the life sim aspect.

Dope Dagoth

Post by Dope Dagoth »

Darn shame this didnt happen
id love this to be implemented
Some of the proposals reminded me kinda of Mount and Blade

Family as faction seems like a great idea
Nobility could be an achievable rank either by earning favour with a noble family in order to marry your lover or if you married a commoner to turn your household into a noble dynasty if certain requirements are met.
and maybe you could elope with a noble's daughter before reaching the appropriate level of reputation with the family creating your own dynasty still starting out as commoner rank but making her family hunt you down wherever you go either vengefully also willing to kill your wife or rather out of love for their daughter, kidnapping her but still trying to murder you.

damn I'm so bummed out this didn't happen
i really wanted some sort of companionship in this game
all i have now is a wyvern pet who doesn't follow me but still keeps me from resting or traveling ;-;
that and fantasising bout this i guess
What a fool you are. I'm a god. How can you kill a god? What a grand and intoxicating innocence. How could you be so naive? There is no escape. No Recall or Intervention can work in this place. Come. Lay down your weapons. It is not too late for my mercy.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Dope Dagoth wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:43 pm Darn shame this didnt happen
id love this to be implemented
Some of the proposals reminded me kinda of Mount and Blade

Family as faction seems like a great idea
Nobility could be an achievable rank either by earning favour with a noble family in order to marry your lover or if you married a commoner to turn your household into a noble dynasty if certain requirements are met.
and maybe you could elope with a noble's daughter before reaching the appropriate level of reputation with the family creating your own dynasty still starting out as commoner rank but making her family hunt you down wherever you go either vengefully also willing to kill your wife or rather out of love for their daughter, kidnapping her but still trying to murder you.

damn I'm so bummed out this didn't happen
i really wanted some sort of companionship in this game
all i have now is a wyvern pet who doesn't follow me but still keeps me from resting or traveling ;-;
that and fantasising bout this i guess
Never gave up on the idea. I've just taken other mods like new monsters and so on over instead as I saw they were more important. If no one visits this idea eventually, I hope to return to it when I have time.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Please do, I would love to have this function in the game.
I was just thinking while playing: "Something makes all this questing, buying houses and accummulating money meaningless... Ah right, there is no partner/children in the game!"
As a married man myself, I find this quite unfulfilling without a marriage system similar to Skyrim. Something dear toddy really improved over Daggerfall - maybe the only thing.
In Julianos we Trust.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

jayhova wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:26 pm or perhaps you threaten to sell the sword to his enemy if he will not swear to allow the marriage.
What a great way to endear yourself to the prospective father-in-law.