[MOD] The Penwick Papers

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
DunnyOfPenwick

Re: [MOD] The Penwick Papers

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

The way it is currently implemented, low streetwise implies the pc gets confused, makes wrong turns and loses their way, so the total journey distance is longer, which translates to more lost time and fatigue. I high streetwise might mean the pc hitches a ride on the back of a passing wagon or something like that, so they reach their destination faster with lower overall time/energy loss.

For the most part, the effect of streetwise skill is only noticeable if it is very low, i.e. less than 10, which the pc might have at the start of the game, but which will rapidly improve.

The pc is assumed to be jogging through town if on foot, or moving at normal trot speed if they have a horse/cart.
Could places of note be marked on your map with higher streetwise?
I'm not sure what you mean by that. By places of note do you mean inns/stores?
Low streetwise could have a chance of sending you to the wrong place, you got lost.
I could potentially have a chance of ending the travel at some random point on the map if the pc has very low streetwise skill, but I'm not sure if the effort is worth the payoff.

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

I encountered a strange behaviour from a random villager: when talking to her, the talk window showed the name and portrait of the last NPC I talked with before, a kid from a tavern. I can't say it was because of this mod, but I thought you could be interested.

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

Which mod version and DFU version are you using?

The earliest version (0.80) of The Penwick Papers may have had a buggy interaction with the TalkManager, but that should have been corrected many months ago.

Currently the only interaction it (Enhanced Info) has with TalkManager is to call GetConversationSaveData(), but that shouldn't have any impact on anything.

Is this reproducible? Do you remember the location? What was the order or interaction? Info check followed by talking to both parties?

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

I tried to use the landmark journal to travel to a city location on my horse. I arrived a hundred metres in the air (approximately) on my horse and the fall damage killed me. The same landmark worked properly when I was on foot. I was also on foot when the landmark was recorded in the journal.

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

I'll take a look.

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

I tried to use the landmark journal to travel to a city location on my horse. I arrived a hundred metres in the air (approximately) on my horse and the fall damage killed me....
I can't reproduce the problem.
Are you using a recent version?
Does it still fail when other mods are disabled?
You might have to post a save file to test with.

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

I haven't encountered the issue since I reported it and I don't have the save file anymore. The only other factor I remember is that I recorded the city landmark in my journal, went to a dungeon somewhere else on the world map, returned to the city and then tried the landmark on my horse. If you can't reproduce the problem, then it could be a rare edge case that I stumbled into or a one-time glitch that's beyond the scope of your mod. I probably wouldn't worry about it if nobody else is reporting it.

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

I just experienced the issue with the landmark journal.
I arrived below my expected destination, under some stairs.

Apparently the world coordinate system can sometimes be a bit variable.
I am adding some additional code in the next release to hopefully reduce or eliminate this.

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

Just dropped a new update.
Now includes a lockpicking minigame.
2023_07_13_11_05_28.jpg
2023_07_13_11_05_28.jpg (157.67 KiB) Viewed 507 times

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Very cool, I'll have to give it a try at some point to see how it works.