Issue with restarting Main Quest with "startquest" command

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
mxdysphoric

Issue with restarting Main Quest with "startquest" command

Post by mxdysphoric »

Hi, this is my first time using the forums so apologies if i am asking a redundant question.
Recently i transferred my save game from DOS and so I need to restart the main quest to continue, which is apparently done by using the commands "startquest s0000999" and "startquest s0000977". However when I attempt to use either of these commands i get the error "Quest ID 's0000999'/'s0000977' could not be found" . I am unsure whether the information I read on "Installing Daggerfall Unity and Other Information" is now out of date or if there are issues related to me using the Linux version of Daggerfall unity. Thank you for reading and I would appreciate any help you can give me :)

Jay_H

Re: Issue with restarting Main Quest with "startquest" command

Post by Jay_H »

Hello! As a Linux user myself, I'm certain there's nothing wrong with the game version :)

Linux is case-sensitive, so it matters whether you're using s0000999 or S0000999. Use the uppercase version, as that's how the quest file is written. You can see the quest file names inside /DaggerfallUnity_Data/StreamingAssets/Quests within your local install.

mxdysphoric

Re: Issue with restarting Main Quest with "startquest" command

Post by mxdysphoric »

Jay_H wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:03 pm Hello! As a Linux user myself, I'm certain there's nothing wrong with the game version :)

Linux is case-sensitive, so it matters whether you're using s0000999 or S0000999. Use the uppercase version, as that's how the quest file is written. You can see the quest file names inside /DaggerfallUnity_Data/StreamingAssets/Quests within your local install.
Thank you very much :D, It worked instantly! I am a fairly new member of the Linux Cult but I was vaguely aware of Linux's case sensitivity after a particularly frustrating attempt to get Quake spasm to run on Linux. I had completely forgotten that Daggerfall Unity quests are just saved as files and even if did remember that, I doubt case sensitivity would have been at the front of my mind (but it certainly will be next time i have issues!).

I do think it is a bit odd that one of the official help pages does not take case sensitivity into account, considering that Daggerfall Unity is cross-platform software :?. Regardless, thank you very much!