Modding Tool: RMB block editor

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Podleron

Modding Tool: RMB block editor

Post by Podleron »

Hello everyone.

I created a modding tool for Daggerfall Unity and here I will share some information about it.

Here is a video tutorial:

Also, here is a link to my DFU fork on Github, in case you want to try it out: https://github.com/Podleron/daggerfall-unity

RMB Block Editor

I highly recommend reading this thread by Hazelnut before continuing with the rest of this information. It will help you understand RMB blocks and their structure.

viewtopic.php?t=2857

So far, editing buildings and dungeons was possible by using the WorldDataEditor tools created by Uncanny Valley and Hazelnut. However editing RMB blocks had to be done by editing the raw json files. This is why I decided to create a similar tool to help with this task.

The tool is by no means perfect. It has many flaws and quirks, and a lot of room for improvement. This is my first real project written in C# and my first ever project in unity, so my code quality and style are probably not the best.

After working on it for four or five months, I’ve started to get tired with it and I want to move on to other things. So I decided to call it done for now and try to get it merged, so that people can use it.

Any criticism and advice is of course welcome and I might try to make some improvements later on.

All of the documentation can now be found here:
https://github.com/Podleron/daggerfall- ... umentation
Last edited by Podleron on Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:24 am, edited 7 times in total.

carademono

Re: Modding Tool: RMB block editor

Post by carademono »

Holy moly guacamole, legendary first post :o

This even has object groups -- it's super polished! Podleron, drinks are on me for the rest of our lives.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Extremely cool tool you made, I'm certain this will be a must have in the toolbox of world editors.

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

:o :o :o

Wow this is impressive, Podleron! I wasn't expecting an RMB editor anytime soon!
I have watched the full tutorial with excitement. There are so many ideas I have written that I wouldn't dare touch because it would have involved manually editing RMB json files.

I'm very excited to use that! Thank you VERY much for having taken the time to work on this. :D

EDIT : Do you think it would be possible to allow support for custom models and flats from a loaded DFU mod? Currently, the way to add custom assets is to launch DFU in Unity, return to the editor view and enter the object's ID manually. But with the RMB editor, I can't edit it if the game is loaded in Unity. Thanks!

Podleron

Post by Podleron »

Thanks, guys, I am glad that you like the tool. I would be happy to play some mods that change city blocks a bit :)

As for the custom models and flats support, I admit I haven't looked into it at all. I will see what I can do and I'll get back to you.

Podleron

Post by Podleron »

I have added an update to the editor. You should now be able to add custom 3d and flat objects from mods.

First you need to add the mods in question to the Assets\StreamingAssets\Mods folder inside the git repository.

Then, you have to start the Startup scene. So in the Unity editor go to File -> Open Scene and navigate to Assets\Scenes\DaggerfallUnityStartup.unity

Click on the Play button on top of Unity and wait for the game to start. In the game, at the Launcher screen, click Mods and make sure that your mods are active, then click Save and Close and Play. Wait for the Daggerfall main menu to appear.

At this point, all the assets from the mods should be loaded. On the top of the Unity editor, just below the play button, there are two tabs - Scene and Game, with Game being active at the moment. Switch to Scene.

You can now go on and load your RMB file and you should have access to the custom objects.

EDIT: This is no longer the case. You can now use custom assets in the editor without starting the game.
Last edited by Podleron on Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Podleron

Post by Podleron »

A new update has been added, for slightly better integration with the WorldData Editor for buildings.

You can now export a BuildingReplacementData file, as if using the "dumpbuilding" command, by selecting a building in the scene and clicking on the Edit button.

When modifying a building and choosing a different building to replace it with, you now have the option to replace just the interior or just the exterior.

Also, when modifying buildings or placing new ones, you can now load a building from a BuildingReplacementData file, instead of using the pre-defined templates.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Amazing.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Podleron

Post by Podleron »

I have been working on some updates. Here is the video:

azimovhaas8

Post by azimovhaas8 »

Impressive work!