[DFUnity] Tools to convert from classical Daggerfall to DFU 0.15.x

Discuss translation of Daggerfall Unity and the required Daggerfall installation. Help other communities learn how to translate Daggerfall using any available tools and processes.
Daneel53

[DFUnity] Tools to convert from classical Daggerfall to DFU 0.15.x

Post by Daneel53 »

Hello guys!

Since March 20, 2023 post from Interkarma on dfworkshop.net, it appears that all localization files needed for DFU shall be text files with new specific formating.
So we have to let down what was done for earlier localization files and to bring to life new files.
For languages as French where classic Daggerfall is fully translated since ten years, we are not going to retranslate the new DFU English files. So, being the developer of the DFTools as they are today, I decided to add in some of the DFTools new outputs dedicated to DFU.
To be clear: in some DFTools, there will be a new button that permits to output the files directly in the format awaited by DFU.

Today, three DFTools are modified to have this functionality :
  • DFBOOEDT: The tool is able to generate the loaded book in a new file BOKxxxxx-LOC.txt for DFU.
  • DFQRCEDT: The tool is able to take all the QRC files that are into a folder and generate the file Internal_Quest.csv for DFU that contain them all.
  • DFRSCEDT: The tool takes the content of TEXT.RSC and generates the file Internal_RSC.csv for DFU.
So, for all those that have part of the classic Daggerfall already translated in their language (German, Russian...), please wait for this tools. As soon as it will be possible to assess the DFU files generated with DFTools when DFU 0.15.x will be available, I will put on line the modified DFTools so that you don't have to retranslate what have already been done for classic Daggerfall up to now.

If other DFTools are modified to generate DFU output, I will let you know. ;)
In charge of Project French Daggerfall and DaggerfallSetup, dev. of DFTools in English.
French translator for many Warband mods and Bannerlord.

Deepfighter

Re: [DFUnity] Tools to convert from classical Daggerfall to DFU 0.15.x

Post by Deepfighter »

That is the Daneel I know. Amazing! :)

I am honest, when I saw that we would have to re-insert all Quest texts and then exactly have to locate and create every entry on our own, I was a bit afraid, as this is an enormous task (no critic Interkarma! It's godsend what and how easily accessible you have done the localisation stuff). So I am now really looking forward to use your updated tools and everybody who wants to translate Daggerfall should as well.

I have one concern, where I don't know how to handle that yet. DFUnity changes some quest-text (in comparison to classic), removing/changing/adding variables. So it's probably not the best idea to just insert our translation,when it is possible, that in the .qbn is not the variable defined, which we still have in our .qcr file. We first would need to see, which quest messages have changed since classic, to amend our translated texts accordingly. The same goes with future changes, how can we maintain bug fixes easily, to adopt them in our translation? I plan on uploading the translation on Github (also to give people possibility to send me mistakes/typos, so maybe it's possible to push changes from the StreamingAssets into the translation repo. No idea if this works, just loud thinking,

In any case, thanks like always for your hard work on this. And also thanks to Interkarma for this amazing possibility. I could cry for joy. :)

Best wishes
Deep
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

Daneel53

Post by Daneel53 »

Hi Deepfighter!

You are perfectly right when stating that the quest files *.txt that are into StreamingAssets/Quests contain also information coming from QBN files. So the output I'm doing in DFQRCEDT only from QRC files is uncomplete. The issue is that for the moment we don't have any real example of the future content of the file Internal_Quests.csv that will be awaited by DFU. I send few days ago examples of my output to Interkarma to ask if they are correct, he shoud answer me that the file Internal_Quests.csv is not, with the same remark as you and, hopefully, send me a more complete example, at least with one or the two first quests for example.
After that I will see what I can do to cope with the English file Internal_Quests.csv. Because, as you, we don't intend to realize an infinite series of copy-paste to insert into Internal_Quests.csv the translated strings that are into the already translated QRC files of classic Daggerfall. But it is clear that to produce the translated Internal_Quest.csv file is not going to be an easy task.

At least we don't have the same issue with RSC files because we do have the complete English file Internal_RSC.csv available into the archive Master Localization CSV Files v0.15.1.zip. Normally, the output I'm producing with DFRSCEDT is perfectly compatible with that file. Same for the books.
In charge of Project French Daggerfall and DaggerfallSetup, dev. of DFTools in English.

Daneel53

Post by Daneel53 »

This subject can be closed.

I wrote a complete tutorial upon how to localize DFU and I will provide it in a new subject. :)

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

The topic Daneel53 mentioned can be found here.

- CLOSED -
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online