[Resolved 0.15.3] Background: question marks with Classic font

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
L57

[Resolved 0.15.3] Background: question marks with Classic font

Post by L57 »

Hi, I found there is a problem with character history text with Classic font. Some histories contain question marks between paragraphs, and some do not. I have seen at least two such examples.

I did not find such a topic on this forum, perhaps no one noticed this due to the fact that everyone uses a modern font. Below is an example:
photo_2023-05-28_21-42-20.jpg
photo_2023-05-28_21-42-20.jpg (361.52 KiB) Viewed 948 times

Jay_H

Re: Background: question marks with Classic font

Post by Jay_H »

I'll move this into Help & Support. This is definitely worth clarifying as a bug, if it happens as such.

Also, what version of DFU are you running? Does this happen with no mods running?

L57

Post by L57 »

Jay_H wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:34 am I'll move this into Help & Support. This is definitely worth clarifying as a bug, if it happens as such.

Also, what version of DFU are you running? Does this happen with no mods running?
It doesn't depend on mods. I'm running v0.14.5 DFU.

You can reproduce this particular one yourself, choosing in custom class:

Primary skills: Archery, Stealth, Short Blade
Major Skills: Long Blade, Dodging, Critical Strike
Minor Skills: Medical, Spriggan, Axe, Swimming, Climbing, Jumping

But there were also other custom classes which generated background text with question mark, as I mentioned.

pango

Post by pango »

L57 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:50 pm Hi, I found there is a problem with character history text with Classic font. Some histories contain question marks between paragraphs, and some do not. I have seen at least two such examples.
I replicated the error, and submitted a PR to fix it: https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... /pull/2525
L57 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:50 pm I did not find such a topic on this forum, perhaps no one noticed this due to the fact that everyone uses a modern font.
Also because the problem self-heals if you save/reload. So it's only visible on newly created characters
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart