pitfalls of setting timescale to 1?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Jabberwok

pitfalls of setting timescale to 1?

Post by Jabberwok »

I tried a few searches on the topic, but couldn't find anything definitive. Will setting the timescale all the way down to 1 cause any real issues? I usually lower the timescale on other ES games, and Daggerfall's more realistic scale makes me want a timescale that matches. But this is my first time with the game, so I'm not sure I would notice if it's causing problems.

I know it will change how long magic effects last, and I read it may also lower the frequency of enemy spawns for some quests. I think I'm fine with that, mostly just concerned if it could break any quests, or any other unforeseen consequences. Thoughts?

jayhova

Re: pitfalls of setting timescale to 1?

Post by jayhova »

Your walk/run speed is somewhat based on accelerated time.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

jayhova wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:00 am Your walk/run speed is somewhat based on accelerated time.
This is the first time I have heard of this.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Jay_H wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:33 am
If you look at the time it takes to cross the map in real-time (about 70 hours) and the number of in-game days that pass (35) this works out to about right. I pretty much just worked it out on my own.

Jabberwok

Post by Jabberwok »

jayhova wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:09 am
Jay_H wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:33 am
If you look at the time it takes to cross the map in real-time (about 70 hours) and the number of in-game days that pass (35) this works out to about right. I pretty much just worked it out on my own.
I'm confused by this. If I lower the timescale, it should take proportionally less 'in-game' time to go the same distance, right? I haven't crossed the whole map, but on timescale 1, I can cross half of Daggerfall in only an hour or two of in-game time.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Jabberwok wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:09 pm
I'm confused by this. If I lower the timescale, it should take proportionally less 'in-game' time to go the same distance, right? I haven't crossed the whole map, but on timescale 1, I can cross half of Daggerfall in only an hour or two of in-game time.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ElderScrolls/c ... he_entire/

69 Hours real-time to cross the map. That's a bit over a month, game-time, as 2 hours = one day. You could extrapolate from that the total distance he walked and then break that down into miles per day and miles per hour. If you change the time scale to 1:1 the walk would still take the same amount of real-time so your speed in miles per hour would increase dramatically.

Jabberwok

Post by Jabberwok »

jayhova wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:55 am
https://www.reddit.com/r/ElderScrolls/c ... he_entire/

69 Hours real-time to cross the map. That's a bit over a month, game-time, as 2 hours = one day. You could extrapolate from that the total distance he walked and then break that down into miles per day and miles per hour. If you change the time scale to 1:1 the walk would still take the same amount of real-time so your speed in miles per hour would increase dramatically.
Ahh, got it. At first I thought you meant it would alter the real-time speed. Anyway, my main reason for changing it was to make the real perceived distance match the 'in-game' distance. Although interestingly, it also seems to lower the deadlines for random quests accordingly. So while I can move across the map much faster in terms of days passing, I have around 10 days to complete a quest, rather than 70 at the default timescale. Resting seems to take the same amount of time either way, so needing to recover health in a dungeon is now the easiest way to miss a deadline. I assume fast travel is also unaffected by the timescale, but I haven't tested that.

jonesphedra

Post by jonesphedra »

jayhova wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:55 am
https://www.reddit.com/r/ElderScrolls/c ... he_entire/wordle

While reducing the time interval can make moving around the map faster in real-time, it can also affect the sense of immersion and realism in the game world. But many people like me prefer slower times to maintain a more realistic pace of exploration and travel.