Settings.ini: Weapons Settings

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Interkarma

Re: Settings.ini: Weapons Settings

Post by Interkarma »

That's awesome, thanks for the great write up!

Xaphir

Post by Xaphir »

Interkarma wrote:That's awesome, thanks for the great write up!
No problem, IK. I was duty and honor bound to do it. :)

I figure, at some point, we are going to have a howto section for the game, it's a good opportuntiy to lay the groundwork for that, while the details are fresh. I find that if I procrastinate on newly discovered details, they tend to evaporate; and then newbs lose the possible leverage that they could have had if you had recorded it.

JDR13

Post by JDR13 »

Hi Guys. I just started playing DF Unity today, and combat seems very sluggish for me no matter what settings I use. I'm using the latest build (August 2017) on Windows 10 64bit.

I have to move the mouse pretty far to get my weapons to swing especially to stab or chop. I know it's not a framerate issue because I used FRAPS to check, and I get a constant 60fps with Vsync enabled.

Any ideas?

Feralwarlord

Post by Feralwarlord »

JDR13 wrote:Hi Guys. I just started playing DF Unity today, and combat seems very sluggish for me no matter what settings I use. I'm using the latest build (August 2017) on Windows 10 64bit.

I have to move the mouse pretty far to get my weapons to swing especially to stab or chop. I know it's not a framerate issue because I used FRAPS to check, and I get a constant 60fps with Vsync enabled.

Any ideas?
Have you tried turning you mouse sensitivity up?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums JDR13. :)

Much of the information in this thread is out of date now. There's a new gesture-based attack system in place which is a lot more responsive than the old setup. If you still find the mouse requires too much travel time to activate weapons, try adjusting the following values in settings.ini. Default values are shown.

Code: Select all

WeaponAttackThreshold=0.03
WeaponSensitivity=1.0
WeaponAttackThreshold is the % of screen travel required to activate weapon swing. A lower value equals less travel. Try reducing in small increments (0.025, 0.02, etc.) until you find a suitable travel setup for your mouse sensitivity. Range is 0.01 to 1.0.

WeaponSensitivity scales the sum of mouse movement. Higher values makes it more likely for an attack to fire. Range is 0.1 to 10.0.

I hope this information is of some help. Good luck!

JDR13

Post by JDR13 »

Thanks for the replies. I tried adjusting those values, but it's not working for me for some reason. DFTFU_Environment is the correct file right?

Any changes I make are reset as soon as I start the game even though I'm saving them after I edit the file. What am I doing wrong?

JDR13

Post by JDR13 »

I'm able to save changes to the file by making it read-only, but it still doesn't seem to be having any affect. For example, these's no difference between 0.03 to 0.02 to 0.01 in the threshold setting. I still have to move my mouse a full inch or more to make a stabbing motion compared to barely moving it in vanilla Daggerfall.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

JDR13 wrote:Thanks for the replies. I tried adjusting those values, but it's not working for me for some reason. DFTFU_Environment is the correct file right?

Any changes I make are reset as soon as I start the game even though I'm saving them after I edit the file. What am I doing wrong?
You're editing wrong file. Need to make changes to settings.ini, not the environment file.

Check the included manual to find settings.ini on your platform. :)

JDR13

Post by JDR13 »

Thank you. That's what I get for not taking the time to read the manual. :)

I set WeaponAttackThreshold to 0.01, and it made a big difference. It still doesn't seem quite as responsive as vanilla Daggerfall, but it's close enough. I can finally perform all the swings without much difficulty.

What's the primary factor that determines if you score a hit? Is it a dice roll based on weapon strength vs the target's armor rating?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for letting me know. I have set WeaponAttackThreshold minimum value to go a bit lower in next release (new minimum will be 0.001).

Attacks are indeed dice rolls. Successful attack depends on factors like player's agility, enemy agility, dodge chance, armour rating, adrenaline rush, weapon material, swing direction, and so on. There's a lot of stuff happening under the hood, and I'm happy to say Allofich has implemented nearly all of that already. That guy is a rockstar. :)