Identification service

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Hazelnut

Identification service

Post by Hazelnut »

I implemented the identification guild service last night, didn't take long because I built most of it into the trade window already.

I'm considering changing behaviour from classic:

Only unidentified items can be selected into the right hand side. Classic allows any item but only costs unidentified ones. It would need a popup message to say item doesn't need to be identified. Maybe it is simpler to allow selection as classic does, less popups that way.

Thoughts?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Re: Identification service

Post by Interkarma »

Awesome look forward to seeing it!

I don't have any problems with your proposed changes.

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

I think if you just restrict action to unidentified items and make clicking on identified not do anything, it will work. After all, the only reason you would click on identified item is by mistake, there is no other reason to do it. It might lead to a few seconds of confusion "Why doesn't it go there?!" and a moment of realization "Oh, my bad, it's already identified!", but there won't be moments where you move something by accident or get an annoying popup on a misclick.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

The classic functionality can certainly go. Among the two suggestions, I'm leaning a little towards NikitaTheTanner's. For some players it'll take a little adjustment but I believe that period would be short, and in the long run it would make for a smoother experience IMO.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I prefer to have a popup explaining why the item cannot be selected for identification otherwise to a newbie it appears broken. Experienced players will simply never see it because they wont click on identified items. (I know I probably will though..)

I will alter the classic behaviour.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I agree with Hazelnut. The player should always have feedback over nothing happening.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Very good. You guys have experience as game devs, so I'm certain you have the right idea :)

Blue Footed Booby

Post by Blue Footed Booby »

Interkarma wrote:I agree with Hazelnut. The player should always have feedback over nothing happening.
I'd agree the player should always have feedback, but that feedback shouldn't create additional work (ie make you click something). Text that appears for a few seconds (or until the next UI action) and a little "poink" sound would be perfect.

There should also be feedback before they even click the item, like having already-identified items given a different background. Or have unidentified items get a different background, so they draw your eye.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Ideally if we were completely overhauling the daggerfall UI then yes, but I'm working on the principal of minimal changes for QOL improvements. I believe this is inline with Interkarma's intentions.