quest Missing Prince: wrong dungeon sitelink created

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Nystul

quest Missing Prince: wrong dungeon sitelink created

Post by Nystul »

while implementing anyInfo quest command and talk window I encountered this problem:

the quest "Missing Prince" is creating wrong sitelink for its dungeon locations, according to http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Missing_Prince the location is always either "Castle Faallem" or "The Fortress of Fhojum".
Daggerfall Unity currently always either picks "The Barrow of Darkulus" or "Ruins of Tower Vlold'kern".

Interkarma

Re: quest Missing Prince: wrong dungeon sitelink created

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you, I will investigate. :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

thanks ;)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

My feeling is Daggerfall could be handling this specific quest place allocation internally. The decompiled quest script sets up the place like so:

Code: Select all

Place _ukcrypt_ remote dungeon0 anyInfo 1015 rumors 1016
The p2 variable for dungeon0 used in _ukcrypt_ is literally for "Crypt" dungeon types. Neither "Castle Faallem" or "The Fortress of Fhojum" are of the Crypt type, they are both of the RuinedCastle type.

I have changed script to the following so that RuinedCastle dungeons are selected instead.

Code: Select all

Place _ukcrypt_ remote dungeon11 anyInfo 1015 rumors 1016
Note the RuinedCastle set includes the "Castle Faallem" or "The Fortress of Fhojum", but is not exclusive to them. There are 11 total dungeons of the RuinedCastle set in Sentinel. Because the script calls for a random location, I feel this is still within the spirit of the quest.

But if you guys feel this is important, I can limit this to just the two used by classic. Or perhaps limit to just a specific dungeon to help with walkthroughs. Just about every other main story quest in classic uses a fixed dungeon. Feedback is welcome.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

If you don't mind straying a little from classic this time, I'm happy to expand the range. (And it also saves you some work, which I like.) We'd probably want to include some notice for veteran players and/or walkthrough followers so they don't think the deviation is erroneous.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I can live with it - the reason for these specific dungeons might have been that they are close by and really special in a way that they are located in an outstanding place. The top-east bit of sentinel headland and the island above sentinel. This makes it special and even the dialog option for finding them can be sufficient to get there (missing prince is one of a few quest if not the only quest to make use of the dialog to give you direction hints to its quest dungeon - although this feature is broken in vanilla (giving wrong directions) it will work in daggerfall unity)